myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Convert your windsurf board to a foil with the PowerPlate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle's own - Bruce Lee!!

And yeah, I remember the pic of your kit on the dock - CarbOne and Slingshot. And I commented then, about your "protective handle" stuck to the nose!
Awesome... and well done Smile
I might just have to buy a Powerplate some day and try that myself - Foiling Kona's... Lightning's... Equipe's... and all, haha!

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naish foil plate does not align with the Power Plate holes so I drilled my own. Seems all others do, but no Naish.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
Seattle's own - Bruce Lee!!

And yeah, I remember the pic of your kit on the dock - CarbOne and Slingshot. And I commented then, about your "protective handle" stuck to the nose!
Awesome... and well done Smile
I might just have to buy a Powerplate some day and try that myself - Foiling Kona's... Lightning's... Equipe's... and all, haha!

I don’t think a standard longboard finbox placement would permit foiling. The Kona is somewhat unique afterall.
davenunn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the PowerPlate

1/ Now available in Deep Tuttle as well. See image below of all 3 fin-box types you can get.

2/ We have sold over 200 now and responses have been strong about ease of use,& durability of both the PowerPlate & the boards they are being used on.

3/ If you have a Naish foil or any other which have a different hole pattern we recommend drilling 2 additional holes to match the PowerPlate.

I don't follow this thread regularly so if you have any other questions just email us at windance@windance.com

Dave

[img][/img][/b]
brand_adam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post an update because it doesn't seem like there's too much info on these things online. I had my chance to try the Tuttle PowerPlate on my 122L Starboard Go over the weekend. My first two sessions were sub-planing and tuning the footstraps. I learned to start with them full forwards and inboard then go from there, I did the opposite and wasted lots of time. The third session I had it dialled with the Windance Foil Works foil and it was absolute magic. I've used a kite line leash attached to some webbing and bolted to one of my rear footstrap holes as Dave suggests in his video, it wasn't at all noticable and didn't get in my way when riding. I spent close to an hour on the foil and the board is holding up perfectly fine. I'll continue to watch it over the coming weeks. I am pretty excited about getting out on this setup again soon.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Two hundred bucks for a fin base mounted to an aluminum plate with a few holes drilled in it .... Rolling Eyes

I would be concerned about the moment (torque) being applied to the fin box with the foil being installed so far in front of the box. It is definitely not something most boards are designed for.

sm

1. Can the hydrofoil fit directly into the board's finbox ( Power box) without using the $ 200 separate plate attachment? It would be cheaper and perhaps provide sufficient resistance to stress forces at least at low speeds.. Wouldn't it?
I seem to recall that originally this was the way hydrofoils were fitted to the original power box of the board...
ON a previous board I had, the fin was fitted to the fin box with a bolt screwed from the top through the board's deck .
I thought that this would prevent the hydrofoil or the finbox from being ripped off, without having to use an additional plate.

2.If a separate plate is absolutely necessary, is there sufficient thickness in the hull to safely bolt the plate through it?
I am not familiar with the inner anatomy of the board, but I always thought that the outer hard layer of the hull is relatively thin and after a few mm the inner core would be essentially soft foam, not allowing sufficient grip for the bolt.

Perhaps I am wrong. Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin head is bolted into board.
PP allows centering of the front foil between your feet. It is worth the price.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:

Yup I couldn't agree more, I'm still very pleased with mine, I've got about 120 miles of foiling on it and it's been problem free.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:

I haven't physically seen this contraption from close and how it works, yet.

By referring to the photo details above, could you please explain:

1. Is the fin head the mounting plate itself?

2. If so, what do you mean by saying that it is bolted to the board?

a. that the raised extrusion of the plate fits into the fin box housing and is bolted to it , or

b. that the plate itself is bolted to the bottom hull?

In the latter case, my question was if there is enough thickness in the bottom hull to drill holes into it to bolt the plate.

Thanks

Ittiandro
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
bred2shred wrote:
Two hundred bucks for a fin base mounted to an aluminum plate with a few holes drilled in it .... Rolling Eyes

I would be concerned about the moment (torque) being applied to the fin box with the foil being installed so far in front of the box. It is definitely not something most boards are designed for.

sm

1. Can the hydrofoil fit directly into the board's finbox ( Power box) without using the $ 200 separate plate attachment? It would be cheaper and perhaps provide sufficient resistance to stress forces at least at low speeds.. Wouldn't it?
I seem to recall that originally this was the way hydrofoils were fitted to the original power box of the board...
ON a previous board I had, the fin was fitted to the fin box with a bolt screwed from the top through the board's deck .
I thought that this would prevent the hydrofoil or the finbox from being ripped off, without having to use an additional plate.

2.If a separate plate is absolutely necessary, is there sufficient thickness in the hull to safely bolt the plate through it?
I am not familiar with the inner anatomy of the board, but I always thought that the outer hard layer of the hull is relatively thin and after a few mm the inner core would be essentially soft foam, not allowing sufficient grip for the bolt.

Perhaps I am wrong. Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks

Ittiandro

No, and no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: