myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Convert your windsurf board to a foil with the PowerPlate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Here is a thought. I'm pushing 70 with all in pains that go along with the action life style. Mostly back and knees. The smooth ride of a foil looks interesting. But not for lite winds. Lets say the water is super choppy 4.0
I use to love that but now find it painful. How would a foil work in high winds to smooth out the ride. or are they only lite wind toys????????

The foil will likely be slower and need a smaller sail. The older guys using them locally do find much less stress on the body.
carl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Here is a thought. I'm pushing 70 with all in pains that go along with the action life style. Mostly back and knees. The smooth ride of a foil looks interesting. But not for lite winds. Lets say the water is super choppy 4.0
I use to love that but now find it painful. How would a foil work in high winds to smooth out the ride. or are they only lite wind toys????????

I am curious too about foiling in higher winds for same reasons.
In light winds the small chop is not usually a problem. Although it would be nice not to have to hoss around the big sail in light wind. The foil + big board looks like it may be harder to carry off water, and big boards alone are more difficult to carry in high wind.
Anyone foil with a small board in high wind?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if foiling will help with high wind chop. You are riding about 1.5 to 2 feet above the water, at a pretty constant level. Once chop gets this high, you'll slam into it. Our chop here at Kalmus definitely can get up to 2+ feet when in 30+ mph wind. The other question is if you really want to be anywhere near the foils when you're fighting for control in extreme conditions.

It will be interesting to see how much traction foils will get in the next few years. Innovations like the power plate should help; after watching the Sebastian Kornum video, I'd say it would make sense to make a Tuttle box version, too, since there is a lot of stress on the front corner of the fin box.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I don't know if foiling will help with high wind chop. You are riding about 1.5 to 2 feet above the water, at a pretty constant level. Once chop gets this high, you'll slam into it. Our chop here at Kalmus definitely can get up to 2+ feet when in 30+ mph wind. The other question is if you really want to be anywhere near the foils when you're fighting for control in extreme conditions.

It will be interesting to see how much traction foils will get in the next few years. Innovations like the power plate should help; after watching the Sebastian Kornum video, I'd say it would make sense to make a Tuttle box version, too, since there is a lot of stress on the front corner of the fin box.

There are several. kiters riding foils here at Coyote Pt in our usual moderate wind when an average sailor is on 5.2-5.7. The chop can be 2-3ft and the kite foilers seem to be handing it fine. Maybe it's different with a kite since the kite tends to pull you up.
I do think I would be more interested in using a foil in moderate wind on maybe a 100L board. "Victory at Sea" 3.0-4.0 conditions would be better with a 75L board more attached to the water.
This does look like a great product though since most of my boards are power box. Certainly someone in the Gorge (where these are made) has tried it in 5.5 wind.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
LUCARO wrote:
There are so many old board at minimal value available. I think we can risk a few fin boxes.

Speaking of foils. I love how starboard have pixelated their "secret" foil in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejbEAtkyefc

At end of video: is it cut-off race board? Looks like they cut board by middle of original finbox and didn't even bother to seal it.

Hopefully, it was damaged previously Smile
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have watched light wind kite foil masters at kanaha in some seriously large surf. no foot straps, going thru impact zone and riding waves. they seem to manage getting pulled up, yet stay going.

windsurfing foiling may be able to overcome the variations of peak to trough issues as well. time will tell. some, with far experience than me on them than me, seem to think large chop is an obstacle.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
davenunn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the ease of use for older sailors I can tell you that once up on the wing it requires 50% of the leg & arm workout you get normally. In fact I hardly even hook in. Plus I can sail with just 2 fingers on the boom the drag is so little.

Secondly to all of you who are worried about ripping out a fin box from impact, well you could always make a breakaway bolt by cutting a slice in your fin bolt so that it will snap upon impact. However I don't think it s a worry as long as you are smart about avoiding obstacles.

Dave
Windance Boardshop
lrrry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This foiling for the older crowd has me interested, as that's where I am.

Normally a light wind, big sail sailor, the foiling in light wind looks like fun.

What would the experts recommend for a short foil (shallow water), for light winds, very little chop for a beginning older guy. Control and comfort most important, speed is not.

Also, with this plate, would a good match be with my old Mistral Explosion 155, or Starboard 160 Formula ?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

formula at first with a chicken strap
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
lrrry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
formula at first with a chicken strap

Would you use the chicken strap most of the time, or just going downwind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: