myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best option florida?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angulo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: best option florida? Reply with quote

I'm getting nervous and need some steady 14-17 kt winds to finalize some testing before first pwa event…. Im near Patrik air force and Kelly park I hear has some of the best chance for thermals, but just looked at the graph for juno beach pier and it showed like it got kinda windy down there today.. if anybody in that zone sees this. any thoughts would be helpful, as I'm kinda scampering for a good 2-3 hours of wind to bang out some tests.
THanks,
Josh
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have had some serious power runs yesterday at Nahant.
Offshore blowing 25mph to 40mph with glass condition.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, florida offers fickle winds, not too easy to predict. some years we have extended dry seasons and very reliable thermals. then there's this year. a wet dry season with more fronts that typical.

the most reliable thermal happens in winter. does not help you today, but will next winter???? when ocala is 25-30 degrees colder than the air at the 20 mile buoy, the wind coming off land blocks lots of marine winds all morning long and into early afternoon. quite maddening when the buoy shows 25 NNE, and it's cold as fugg NNW at cocoa beach and patrick. but typically quite strong and not gusty.

today? you could chase it down to jupiter and have to deal with high tide shore pound.... stuart is a royal pain to get to, but least the tidal currents can mess with you....

cool your heels, let your feet heal a bit, and maybe get a SB at kelly the next few dayz. not many trade winds here in FL....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it comes to wind, science and data seem to win

praying for wind does not seem to help Rolling Eyes
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you found wind yesterday. You'll probably get a faster answer to these kinds of questions on the Windsurf Florida facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/windsurfflorida/
outcast

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek,

My buddy just saw a gator belch in Ocala about 20 minutes ago...
Should stir up somethin for you in about 2.4 hours....

Seriously, I know how important this is for you, and i hope you find your breeze!

jkrug

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juno beach pier meter reads high...always subtract 4 mph from its reading.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my interaction with josh have been about understanding the wind behavior of the thermals in florida.

yesterday, he was returning from some business down south of brevard county.

here in florida, the desire to sail is best satisfied by becoming like a volunteer fireman. one must keep an eye on weather sensors, AND understand how our micro climates behave.

as he was running north on i 95, he asked me where to ditch the hwy and grab a session. he chose sebastian inlet's clam beach. based on the time of day and his location, a valid choice. 5/13/2016 wind chart for closest sensor:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=226&siteID=7773&days=1&Isection=Wind+Yesterday

that spot is nearly 30 minutes off the hwy. a bit of an unknown to me, because of its remoteness to my routes of business and house. kelly park/calema is far easier to get to. AND, has a longer track record for strong sea breezes. the sensor has become a bit tree locked, so it tends to read lower than actuals, esp as the wind turns S or E:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=226&siteID=289&days=1&Isection=Wind+Yesterday

was there the best choice? had one chosen sebastian over kelly park and been based in central brevard, the better choice was kelly park. being on the road like that? subjective.

i ended up testing a 7.5 sail with a newer board. was lit up. had a great session. josh briefly stated he had a good session too. dunno what gear he chose. but, racer types tend to run really big stuff.... by eod, i could have been on a sail and board smaller

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: