myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learned some things, Fanatic fox gets its maiden Voyage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Learned some things, Fanatic fox gets its maiden Voyage. Reply with quote

Went out today down Near Atlantic City, Lakes Bay to be more specific. Winds were about 19-21 mph NOrth East. I was running the old POS obrien 5.0 or like 5.4 I think. It's currently the smallest squared sail I own so I stuck with it.

I went across the GWB the other day and picked up a Dakine t3 harness for $30 samolians and got a boom for $50. It was basically slight uptick from what I own but had a better clamp and was a tad bit longer then what I owned so it actually made my current sails more usable.

Now to what I learned.

1) don't go out if your shoulder/rib hurts you in the least bit. Was not the worst, bit was an added factor for me calling it a day instead of going back out.

2) I should have my boom lower. I had it about eyeball height and should have had it in between nipple/shoulder.

3) actually rig and use the harness you traveled nearly 100 miles for.... My arms were so tired and in conjunction with my aching shoulder and rib it was almost not fun.

4) winds running parrallel to the beach seem to suck. On top of the fact that I didn't have my harness on nor set up it made going up wind was a pain. Oh and the obrien sale was missing a batton so it was flapping like a SOB. I ended up coming back at about 500 yards down the beach and walked in back up the shore line.

I'm very glad I took the advice of the crew on the forums and got myself a 5/3 suit. It's not a dry suit but it was given to me by my brother inlaw and fits like a glove. It also kept me so warm that by the time I got to shore I had to take the gloves off and get the hood off.

I spent a lot of time in the water and definatly realized why I bought the harness (next time I'll use it).

While I was down I asked Jim about ABK clinics and he said they do them in the fall down there so I'll do that then.

I also asked about lessons, but they will go later in the season.

I feel like I could have gone up wind and landed back at my launch but my arms were so tired from messing around and I would have gone so far out I was afraid of getting fatigued and ending up screwed.

I'll post a video of the flapping crappy sail and me going and falling later.

I got the old fanatic ripping a couple times but I'm not so sharp on steering her so it was like being on a train. As much as things went wrong I still had the time of my life and enjoyed the workout and the fresh air.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed all that, Derikthin. I think you are becoming a real windsurfer! When you live through the aches and pain and know you made mistakes that you are kicking yourself for and you did the walk of shame and were willing to admit it and still came in smiling...a windsurfer for sure.
erniego

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derik, You'll have a much easier time of it on lakes bay on different wind direction. Lakes bay is good to great on most directions except N or NE. lots of shallow water makes it sooo much easier for beginners. You don't wipe yourself out trying to uphaul all the time. Do you beach start yet ? If not, concentrate on learning it as soon as possible. It'll be a godsend to sore arms/back/ shoulders. I sail there whenever I can . Hope to see ya out there sometime.

Ernie
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a blast and I did learn a lot. Got the wife and kids out on the beach as well so she could get a laugh and I had my 5 year old cheer me on haha.

Can't wait for the next outing.

My friend came down to kite board but I guess with the wind direction and his lack of skill launching and getting back would be impossible. I let him try my board and as bad as I think I am I'm at least able to uphaul and move around without falling off so that made me feel a little better.

Can't wait to start water starting. Can't wait for a lot of things =). Anyways thanks for letting me share my excitement with you guys! I don't have many local windsurfing people around me quite yet so I have to get my excitement out here =).
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie,
Yeah that wind direction was definatly not my friend. I made the best of it but I could imagine any other direction would have been better.
I have beach started once. But for the sake of a skills level I would say no haha. I have much much to learn.

Hope to see you out there Ernie! You can maybe give me some pointers, I have thick skin and a good sense of humor so you don't have to sugar coat any advice Hahahaha. I'll more then likely be the tallest and most terribly skilled windsurfer that looked like he was transported from the 80's in gear style.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how valid my boom height rule of thumb is, as I formulated it well over 30 years ago, but it is "arms/shoulders tired => booms too high; legs tired => booms too low".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: