myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
On Water Communications
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: On Water Communications Reply with quote

Does any one have experience or know where to purchase waterproof walkie talkie (two way communications) that would be hands free, fit in helmet (preferably), noise cancelling (suppress wind noise), have a good range (1/2 mile minimum), working on or off cell phone in waterproof case.

I've googled for information but there seems to be an abundance of systems but some fall short in one or more requirements. I was wondering what people have used or tried.

I understand that Matt Pritchard and other schools use or have tried systems of this nature.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as my friend and I have found that critiquing each other has really helped in progressing, and figured that walkie talkies would aid us further.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post. What a great idea for safety. I have always wanted something like this when sailing alone offshore. What a great idea for teaching, or just having fun communicating. Can't wait to hear the responses!
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hands free requirement will be the biggest obstacle to overcome. Hands free means some type of microphone near your face and my experience from using wireless headsets coaching football for years is strong wind wrecks havoc with them. You have to turn your head or block the wind with a clipboard when speaking. A face shield on your helmet may be a requirement to block the wind.

When I learned to kitesurf my buddy had me wear a PFD, put a waterproof two way radio in a Water Pak case & strapped it to the shoulder of the PFD with the volume turned all the way up. It was very easy for him to give me instructions while following behind in his boat. You could use the same setup & plug in a waterproof wireless headset, I just think you would need a face shield to make it work over the wind.

Coachg
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure there must be technology that addresses wind noise like the microphones that sit on Adam's apple. The coast guard would likely use a communication device for rescue operations that would have to meet the same criteria.
underwood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a lesson from Jamie Knox in Brandon Bay in Ireland and used a headset. It was one way comms from Instructor to student and worked well. There are also "Bone Mics" that Fire Fighters use. It sits on top of your head inside a helmet and pics up your voice thru vibrations. They work pretty well and would be a good choice for eliminating wind noise but they do require a push to talk button (simplex vs duplex comms).
http://www.savox.com/products/hc-1-helmet-com®/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semaphore?
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP wrote:
I figure there must be technology that addresses wind noise like the microphones that sit on Adam's apple. The coast guard would likely use a communication device for rescue operations that would have to meet the same criteria.

Actually those aren't microphones. They don't pick up sound but bone vibration. I would expect them to be somewhat expensive...
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semaphore?
westender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Way-Radio-Channel-Kid-Googles-Walkie-Talkie-Sun-Glasses-Hands-Free-Headphone-/361191232740?hash=item5418acd4e4:g:9rYAAOSw2XFUdNSn
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to know the whole semaphore alphabet but I'm not good enough to sail without hands !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: