myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do I miss something in the I-windsurf app (iphone5)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mraupp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Do I miss something in the I-windsurf app (iphone5)? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just wonder if I miss something on the I-windsurf app on my Iphone? I try to find the forum(page) in the app but I cannot find it. I am using this I-windsurf webpage and also the app only for a couple of days now and do not find all the possibilities yet of both.

My question is also that I search for a realtime /minute2minute up-to-date sitereport when somebody of you guys is sailing on the jersey coast somewhere or will be sailing when he/she knows that he/she is going to sail. Sailing together is much more fun and with the circumstances of these days I prefer not to wavesailing alone on the beachside because I am new in the area. But wavesailing is what I do like the most and I usualy only do. I know that some off you like wavesailing too, but that you are not that much as in The Netherlands where, on a good day, sometimes you are sailing with 200 other people. Uptillknow I dont know anybody.

I think about creating a private group on facebook (wavesailors NY or something like that) where you can easily post that you are somewhere, will go somewhere later the day or thinking about going today or tomorrow. This worked out really well in The Netherlands (where I used to sail) so you are never sailing alone, also when the circumstances become more difficult.

Please let me know what you think about it and when you are a active new jersey wavesailor who will give this private group a try (if you use FB).

Main reason is to sail more and have fun on a safe way.

Hope to meet, to see and to sail!

Monday looks really nice for some side, side off wavesailing...
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mraupp, welcome to iWindsurf, and welcome to New Jersey!

We will be working to add the iWindsurf Forums to the iWindsurf mobile app this Winter. So, keep an eye out for that- should be live by Spring.

These Forums are one place where guys sometimes talk about windsurf sessions. So even though you cannot access the Forums (yet) using the iWindsurf mobile app, it's still a good idea to bookmark the www website and check back often. There might be a couple guys out there to trade some thoughts...

Also, although it's not exactly what you're talking about, there are more and more people doing "Onsite Reports", and sometimes this includes a few words about the windsurfing conditions. We are also working on improving this system over the coming months, to make it easier to use. Here is a good page to bookmark for onsite reports for the mid- Jersey coast -- it includes recent wind readings (to the north, and to the south) that people take with their iWindsurf / WeatherFlow smartphone wind meters:
http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#39.719,-73.791,9,1,50379,4

See an example ONSITE REPORT from today, below.

Keep in mind that the popularity of windsurfing in the U.S. is nothing like it is in the Netherlands!! But the wind here can be really good...

2PM SATURDAY.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.67 MB
 Viewed:  9116 Time(s)

2PM SATURDAY.png

b.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.71 KB
 Viewed:  9120 Time(s)

b.png

bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be great to have a feature that linked right back to iwindsurf that would tell people where you are sailing, or where you plan to sail. Basically, you click on a site report and in addition to it telling you the current wind conditions, it would also tell you how many people are sailing there and how many people plan to sail there on any given day. I agree that knowing where other people are sailing can have a big impact on if and where I will sail. I have not found the email groups to work. There is already a NJ windsurfing yahoo group and I've sent out emails numerous times about where I plan to sail but generally don't get much feedback. Everyone checks iwindsurf though, so I think that could be a better avenue.

By the way, I'm the one who took the wind reading in the above post (46 gusting to 61). That was taken at Barnegat Bay at the end of Allen Rd Saturday morning. I ended up sailing Trixies that morning and it was unreal. Insanely windy.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: