myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why is windsurfing awesome?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnegahmig

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Why is windsurfing awesome? Reply with quote

I just published an article on this and would love to hear your reasons for loving this sport. Everyone has different reasons as we all get to sail in different locations and with different conditions. What are yours?

Here is the list I cam up with but I am sure there must be something missing Razz

http://howtowindsurf101.com/the-advantages-of-windsurfing-why-is-windsurfing-awesome/
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. One of your disadvantages can also be an advantage, requiring wind & water. I tell students at the start of my class that a great thing about windsurfing is you can go just about anywhere that has wind & water from the highest mountain lakes to the ocean. Every summer I do a windsuring safari in the Sierras. Great getaway.

Coachg
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Nothing else compares, the rush and exhilaration are unparalleled
2) You have to earn it. What other sport takes 4 years just to learn how to turn around without falling. It's a thrill, but never a 'cheap' one given what you've paid to 'earn' it. I still scream with a 'yeehaw' after a successful jybe (after windsurfing for 14 years)
3) It puts you in a bizarre state of mind where you're in conditions that normal people would never dare go into, yet you embrace them, you charge into them and afterwards, you feel a sense of achievement, the world becomes smaller, the impossibilities of life become within reach and you find yourself wanting more.
4) Most important, It's just really, really, really fun!

DC
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
Nothing else compares, the rush and exhilaration are unparalleled ...

... unless one counts dirt bikes, snowmobiles, serious skiing and snowboarding (ya get to revisit a ramp if ya blow it the first time), and a few more sports with even greater demands of physical and mental focus, involvement, and exertion.

I used to praise WSing's lower injury risk until I got my worst injury yet on a windsurfer. But on reexamination, I'm sure I'd have been injured even worse -- certainly much more often -- if I had stuck to those toys these past 35 years.

I agree WSing is awesome, but DAMN I wish it would blow more often. The dirt, and for half of the year the snow, were always there, as was the swell or waves (i.e., dunes/ramps/hills), wind or no wind.

Every sport has its tradeoffs.

But, DOOD ... just 4 years to learn how to jibe? I envy that! You should be able to master running downwind in a few sessions at that rate.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awesome because we can plane, we can connect to the water. The rig is dedicated to us and nothing else, being powered by the wind, we can also wave ride or simply slog. We can jump too.

Every session is different, it's never the same, we learn each time, the margin for improvement is spectacular. One small change can have a huge effect.

It's a challenge to ourselves, to find what who we are. It's awesome to go out with friends, to discover different spots, different gear. About the only sport safe to do out on the water from 1 to 60 knots.

Everyone can do it. I could go on and on. One of my last videos discussed a similar theme, so I couldn't resist to promote it here!

Enjoy!

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the "Disadvantages of Windsurfing" section of your article~

The highly addictive element of this sport can make it very difficult to be a responsible employee on a windy day. It's best to be self-employed.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other sports were just as addictive, but since they weren't so dependent on the weather, they didn't interfere with work, thus there was no angst except maybe on special powder days. Most of them could be done on my own time most evenings plus all weekend every weekend -- heck, sometimes at lunch or before work -- so I didn't have to piss off my boss.

It's the requirement for something as fickle as the wind that makes this one such an elusive hassle. This is also by far the most expensive, frustrating, and gas-guzzling sport I've ever had.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, windsurfing isn't something that one can do on a convenient schedule, and in that way its a lot like surfing. If it was always on tap, things wouldn't be the same. That's why windsurfing is so special. You need to be there when and where it happens, and ultimately, you need to be able to groove when the time is right. The best things in life are a challenge, and fun isn't always an easy mark.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO IT for the "tatts"

these are NOT mine - nor my material - take NO credit (the "lizard" is from Artur Szpunar)

and windsurfing may be better than sex ??

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2011/04/is-windsurfung-as-good-as-sex.html
SauliusMuliolis1UBP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another great thing about windsurfing: It gets you out in the elements where a human being normally would never belong. You are out there in winds that make other people think "You're nuts!", and you get to see some of the real beauty of nature. There is nothing like flying along on a max powered 5.5 sail out on one of the Great Lakes on a dawn patrol session, seeing the sun rise and the water looking like liquid gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: