myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Camping in Rio Vista
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Camping in Rio Vista Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going to Rio Vista for a week and possibly signing up for the ABK clinic. My plan is to fly into Sacramento, rent a car, rent some gear and camp. Are there any good sites to pitch a tent? I'll call Delta Windsurf tomorrow to see if they have any gear available for rent and if they can share some local knowledge. I found some info about the area but most of it seems to be couple years old. Is my plan doable?
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of space to camp just outside the park entrance, below the levee. Keep in mind that the place can get windy... Bring the appropriate wind "proof" tent in order to get some rest at night... flapping in the wind tent generates a lot of noise... I speak from personal experience Smile

Little shade outside the park either, a sun shelter is nice to have to take a break from the sun
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would join the Rio Vista Windsurfing Association. The folks at Delta Windsurf can help you out with that, and it opens the door to the opportunities available on Sherman Island.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoveSplittingLanes wrote:
Plenty of space to camp just outside the park entrance, below the levee. Keep in mind that the place can get windy... Bring the appropriate wind "proof" tent in order to get some rest at night... flapping in the wind tent generates a lot of noise... I speak from personal experience Smile

Little shade outside the park either, a sun shelter is nice to have to take a break from the sun

Good advice. You can camp right where we hold the clinic so it is very convenient. Pitch your tent downwind of your car & as close to the levy as possible for maximum wind shadow. There are usually at least 3-4 people camping there for each clinic in addition to others not in the clinic.

Coachg
victor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you end up camping at the Rio Vista Windsurfing site at The Sign be aware that the sprinklers in the short term camping area come on at night so you may be in for a rude awakening.

you will do better all around renting a vehicle that you can sleep inside of.
mrkhm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brannon Island State Park is a short drive from Sherman Island county Park where most people sail. You will need reservations for the weekends but it has flush toilets and hot showers.
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Camping for Sherman Island clinic Reply with quote

The last I heard, the owner of the private property outside of the Sherman Island park allows parking but not over-night camping. However, occasional visitors and those attending the clinic have camped there without incident. Bring your own water. There is no running water. Primitive bathrooms are a short walk into the park. If you are a light sleeper, perhaps earplugs would help. The stores and restaurants are a fifteen-minute drive away. Request more information if you want.

Sherman Island '05_ 024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  637.72 KB
 Viewed:  20114 Time(s)

Sherman Island '05_ 024.jpg

coachg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The view from the opposite side of the site Error is showing in his photo. This one was taken during an ABK camp. This is where the camp will be held near Jason's large grey Sprinter that you see near the top of the photo.

Coachg

photo 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.02 KB
 Viewed:  20070 Time(s)

photo 1.JPG

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkhm wrote:
Brannon Island State Park is a short drive from Sherman Island county Park where most people sail. You will need reservations for the weekends but it has flush toilets and hot showers.

That's the spot I used to always use, always had a good time there, not sure about the showers still being on however with the drought and all, may need to check ahead that. All the showers at the various camp grounds in my area have been turned off.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta pay like 30 bucks to spend ONE night at Brannan Island State Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: