myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best fin setup for 10’6” Wind SUP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Best fin setup for 10’6” Wind SUP Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Bic SUP Wind 10’6” for the dual purpose of SUP’ing around Alameda when it’s calm, and sailing it with my new 6.3UL Superfreak when 8+kn wind. I’m approx. 150lb.

It has a center US Box fin and two FCS side fins. For sailing, I got a True Ames Convert 34cm for the center fin (pretty much biggest surface I could find in a US base, I enjoy planing early in lighter wind).

I would be interested to hear opinions/experiences re:

1) what is the effect (sailing wise) of moving the center fin back/forward in the US Box? I’ve only had power box and tuttle fins till now so never experimented with fin placement

2) would there be any advantage in using side fins when sailing in such a big board in choppy conditions. the biggest swell it will see are the waist high rollers near the harbor bay ferry channel when sustained 12+kn winds, which I plan on enjoying in strictly onshore conditions

Thanks in advance for any input that may speed up my upcoming experiments Smile

Nick
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding of fin position is:
further up is control and maneuverability
further back is speed
as an average joe windsurfer, I put fin in the middle and try things from there

yes, US box fins are NOT often more than 30 cm / 12 inches
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fins need to stay attached in bottom turns. if a wave is super steep, and fast breaking, the fin may need to move aft. chop may contribute to this as well.

forward for early planing. aft for driving the nose down when over powered. if one considers the amount of lift, upward from the fin, it makes sense.

trials based on body weight/type/distribution/proportionality may play in fin placement too. ultimately, one should make trials incrementally and note te results against some sort of reference.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick,
How is that board working out for you. I'm thinking of getting something similar for lite wind waves.....
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok 34cm for the center, and I say use the side fins, size 12cm my guess.

You can get K4s in FCS bases here:

http://4boards.co.uk/product/windsurf-fins/k4-fins-stubby-fronts-fcs-mt-sl-us/

the price is £ is less VAT, their tax , shipping works out about to the £22.50
this is for a pair. No duty on these, just postage.

Option would be go for larger sides and small rear. Lots of options ..

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 10'6" Bic and like the stock fin set up for wave sailing. Broke a side bite and the 10" fin crashing in shore break. Glad the fins are plastic and arent expensive. I wonder about the durablity of the asa boards fin box compared to an epoxy boards. Im kinda hard on this board. I think for me plastic fins are cheap insurance.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobieWanKenobi wrote:
I have the 10'6" Bic and like the stock fin set up for wave sailing. Broke a side bite and the 10" fin crashing in shore break. Glad the fins are plastic and arent expensive. I wonder about the durablity of the asa boards fin box compared to an epoxy boards. Im kinda hard on this board. I think for me plastic fins are cheap insurance.

I have a BIC, still new, gets wet soon. I installed a mast track, in doing so I removed the carry handle, as it was in the way, the handle was dam secure. My boxes US center looks a little less robust in construction, its looks more plastic that a Chinook USBox . The FCS sides I dont like much at all, but easy enough to replace if damaged.

FWIW I plan to use all K4s on this.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the replies and advice, appreciate it.

NOVAAN wrote:
Hey Nick,
How is that board working out for you. I'm thinking of getting something similar for lite wind waves.....

Till now I had only paddled it on flat water. I'm a complete SUP noob and had no problem whatsoever, very easy and stable.

I took it out in wind (18 gusting 22) yesterday in Alameda for the first time and had a blast. I had the 34cm TA Convert fin in the center of the box, no side fins, and the mast base towards the front for more control. I was using my new HSM Superfreak UL 6.3 for the first time too.

I found the whole setup very forgiving. Transition from gliding to planing is pretty seamless and happens around 10-11mph board speed. Reached a top speed of 18mph which seemed sufficient strapless in the chop, but with some tuning (fin and uni a little more aft, sail better tuned) and on flatter water I expect I could eventually push it into the 20-22mph range, which is not bad given the slight wave rocker on the tail.

I feel the 34cm sweeper was a good call for my conditions and sail size, not too much fin, and zero spinouts, despite pushing it pretty hard. You could probably get by with the stock fin for smaller sail sizes in light wind wave conditions. BTW I had to sand the base extensively (completely shave off that little "nob" protruding from the base) to have it fit in the box.

Tracked upwind very well, yet rails are round and (again) very forgiving. I would have had a much harder time in these conditions on my Starboard Phantom 320 (same length but more volume and pure race design).

Trimming the board was effortless: lots of room on the deck, great pads with deep grooves/diamonds which, combined with my Okesport booties, provided sufficient grip against the occasional ankle slappers.

Board also turns very well, leisurely zigzagging down some bay bumps, and on-the-dime pivot jibes. I'd think it'd be very fun in small waves for your purpose, but I'm not really qualified to judge that, having no wave experience windsurfing. I would trust the board to take a tumble in the shore pound though, seems built like a tank.

Let me know if you have any other questions...
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
Thanks the replies and advice, appreciate it.

NOVAAN wrote:
Hey Nick,

Till now I had only paddled it on flat water. I'm a complete SUP noob and had no problem whatsoever, very easy and stable.

I took it out in wind (18 gusting 22) yesterday in Alameda for the first time and had a blast. I had the 34cm TA Convert fin in the center of the box, no side fins, and the mast base towards the front for more control. I was using my new HSM Superfreak UL 6.3 for the first time too.

I found the whole setup very forgiving. Transition from gliding to planing is pretty seamless and happens around 10-11mph board speed. Reached a top speed of 18mph which seemed sufficient strapless in the chop, but with some tuning (fin and uni a little more aft, sail better tuned) and on flatter water I expect I could eventually push it into the 20-22mph range, which is not bad given the slight wave rocker on the tail.

I feel the 34cm sweeper was a good call for my conditions and sail size, not too much fin, and zero spinouts, despite pushing it pretty hard. You could probably get by with the stock fin for smaller sail sizes in light wind wave conditions. BTW I had to sand the base extensively (completely shave off that little "nob" protruding from the base) to have it fit in the box.

Tracked upwind very well, yet rails are round and (again) very forgiving. I would have had a much harder time in these conditions on my Starboard Phantom 320 (same length but more volume and pure race design).

Trimming the board was effortless: lots of room on the deck, great pads with deep grooves/diamonds which, combined with my Okesport booties, provided sufficient grip against the occasional ankle slappers.

Board also turns very well, leisurely zigzagging down some bay bumps, and on-the-dime pivot jibes. I'd think it'd be very fun in small waves for your purpose, but I'm not really qualified to judge that, having no wave experience windsurfing. I would trust the board to take a tumble in the shore pound though, seems built like a tank.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

I have the Bic 10'6 too. I put on a True Ames 39cm Slalom Pointer. I found it somehow better with the side fins, just seemed to handle better for me.
I'm not surprised to hear that it worked well for you. I like the board but think it's best suited for those on the lighter side. At 215lbs it takes an 8.5m sail and at least 20 mph to get the rear end out of the water and on plane, a bit too much rocker for my taste. I love the relative low cost and toughness of the board just wish it had a tad less rocker.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sailing in non-planing conditions, you can consider a smaller fin than the stock fin. Based on suggestions by Andy Brandt for SUP sailing in waves, I switched to 14-16 cm center fins. They make coming in a bit easier since you can ride the waves right onto shore further. There's hardly any difference in going straight.

For light wind freestyle, I'll go even smaller. Just got an 11 cm fin that I'll use as the center fin, without the side fins. That will let me sail closer to shore, and dig the tail a bit deeper during 360s etc. in shallow water. The idea is based on Caesar Finies always going out without any fins in light wind during his visit to Cape Cod last fall. I tried that, too, but going straight takes a bit too much concentration for my limited skill set. I figure the 11 cm fin will be perfect. Not something I'll try out on the ice water we have right now, though.

SUP_fin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.24 KB
 Viewed:  17782 Time(s)

SUP_fin.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: