myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NET NEUTRALITY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for regulation is really the only current GOP chant.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The " muscle cars" and others from the mid to late 60's were the worst. Yeah they were fast but none of them could stop worth a damn. My dad owned a '67 Cadillac Eldorado with a > 500 c.i. engine with tons of horsepower that was great fun to dive until..... you had to stop the thing.

This car was so bad that if you were going down a hill that was more than 5% at 45 mph standing on the break pedal had little effect. It was like trying to stop a locomotive. A 2.5 ton car with drum brakes all around. In other words a total death trap

Disc brakes were used in European cars for nearly 2 decades prior to this. the technology was there.

Would Detroit spend the money to upgrade their cars to make them safer without government mandates?

I don't think so.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love, or at least understand that when a lib like mac rails against any further regs, he/they will assume all regs for everything in the GOP's mind.
How lame is that?!?
And mac, we've heard your story about your car accident for the umpteenth time, it is, and has always been, totally besides the point.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW, the point is you guys just rant, you don't name a particular regulation that you want to change. The chant is dangerous, lives are at stake, and the "self regulating market" is a fantasy. You guys like those.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do we wait until "market forces" kick in and progress is made on safety? The saddest day of my life was a funeral of a 13 year old son of some good friends...really family. He died of a head injury in a car that was not equipped with head air bags...completely survivable had he been a passenger in my car...a 2001 BMW. This was 2004 and the technology could have been in the car he was in...but it was not.

So, had he been of "means" and riding in my Eurowagon he probably would be around today. (Although maybe kidnapped by red headed terrorists until my friends tortured every ginger they met).
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
How long do we wait until "market forces" kick in and progress is made on safety?

Padded dash and seat belts, 1956, without government involvement.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why my 1960 Corvair didn't have factory seatbelts or a padded dash? Maybe safety equipment was an option that you had to pay extra for. That was probably the case, if it was an available option on the car you wanted. Not all cars did back then.

It took government regulation to ensure that every car sold in America included a range of safety equipment that met measurable specifications. And, over time, the government has continued to improve the basic standards and specifications of automobile safety equipment. Arguably, safety design and innovation has become an important feature of automobile manufacture and marketing today, thereby increasing jobs and profit dramatically over time. No doubt, the right move, and it's pretty hard to argue otherwise.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that any conservative would be anti-government regulations for all things. Clearly, there have been tons of good things that have been achieved because of government regs.

However, it's not surprising that conservatives are skeptical, or anti-anything that comes from the Obama administration. We simply don't believe that he has the best interest of ALL Americans in his policy making decisions. Thus our concern about net neutrality, valid or otherwise.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
it's not surprising that conservatives are skeptical, or anti-anything that comes from the Obama administration. We simply don't believe that he has the best interest of ALL Americans in his policy making decisions. Thus our concern about net neutrality, valid or otherwise.

Especially considering the left's many decades of trying to mandate a 50/50 split between liberal and conservative speech, regardless of the fact that liberal screed simply doesn't attract listeners or advertisers.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
I wish to correct your misstatement that the FCC did so with[out any] opportunity for public comment.
You may wish to read my posts before dismissing them as misstatements. I referred to the secrecy surrounding the regulations. To the best of my knowledge, these are still not public and will not be for some time. Given that, how can anyone other than a small FCC inner circle judge whether this latest imposition of government regulation is appropriate and/ or necessary? You choose to see partisanship in my comments. You are wrong. It is the process that I object to and the ever expanding reach of inefficient bureaucrats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: