myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is there an active windsurfing group in the North L.A. area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clwindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Is there an active windsurfing group in the North L.A. area Reply with quote

I am considering moving to the Northern LA area for a job and want to know if there is an active scene out there. I live next to the beach in eastern FL and like wavesailing (92 ltr board and 5.6 m^2 sail is optimal) or, even in light wind with my WSUP. Looks like Leo C is the primary spot in the area, are there issues with the LA lifeguards restricting us from wavesailing in the break zone. What about the crowds and windsurfing accessible beach access? I have sailed at San Pedro and it was overcrowded and flat, what about other spots in the area?

Thanks
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Street (Surfer's Point) in Ventura is a short drive from the SF Valley, and there's lots of room to move around. There can be lots of kiters though, but everyone seems to get along pretty well. It's the biggest wave venue in the area, so that does a good job of spreading everyone out.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sailing at Leo for 30 years. Can be crowded, but friendly. (Usually) 😇

Just stop by and look for me at the stairs on any windy day. If I'm not there, I'm at Countyline or Hawaii . There are plenty of good guys that hang out on the staircase on a windy spring day.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course in spring and summer, go north young man, and sail the Central Coast. Get thrashed at Jalama, dodge elephant seals at Arroya Laguna , and sail in the AWT at Waddell Creek!
mikecole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CL,

Leo, C-St, Jalama... all can be epic wave sailing. It helps if you have a gig that will allow flexible hours, the wind here is usually an afternoon event. The SC and Pistol AWT events are so much fun! Highly recommend those!

I maintain an email listsrv that you are welcome to join should you decide to pull the trigger on your SoCal move. Send me an PM and let me know. The list members represent hundreds of years of combined SoCal, central coast wave/wind hunting experience and all are happy to share knowledge.

Mike
Santa Barbara, CA.
gronquist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Agree with Mike. Leo, C-st, IV, and Jalama can all be top notch. County Line, just above Leo has good surf too. The current at C St means a slightly bigger board (85-95) is preferable, and sometimes a bigger fin. I'm usually on a 5.3 at C, Mike on a 5.0. A lot of times there's surf but minimal thermals on a South Hemi swell in the summer, so in turn a 5.8 is what I should really be on. Spring has a lot of clearing days, all up and down the coast. It can be nuking in IV and quiet at C st, or vice versa, so you really have to watch the maps and trends of the day. -hope that helps.

Tem,
SBarbara
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike also, hea Mike, I bought your SOS 92Lt. from you, yeah, it's me, but I broke it this last fall, great while it lasted.
Arroyo Laguna averages about 80 great days a year, if you are willing to spend some time up here, about 4 hours from N. LA, stay a couple of nights in Cambria or near by, in the spring thru the first half of summer, and get your fill. But don't tell anybody else.
mikecole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Bummer to hear about your SOS destruction... They are great boards for sure, I still have my rocket-fish 68 and use it every time we get decent breeze! Last time I was in Davenport I saw that Joe had a SOS Rocket-fish 82 in the rafters of his barn. It was for sale and I thought long and hard about buying it. Reviews of that board are great but folks say it's not an early planer like your 92 was... Something to consider...

Hope your getting some water time, spring time should see you on your small board Smile

Mike
prevett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have off and on considered relocating from the Santa Cruz area to the Santa Barbara area. A major obstacle for me was giving up the great wavesailing spots just north of Santa Cruz. However, after reading this thread, it seems like there are some good wave sailing venues within striking distance of Santa Barbara.

So, for those who have wave sailed in both areas, how do these So Cal wavesailing venues compare to the Santa Cruz spots? Size of waves, frequency of days with solid waves head high or better, ability to pick up northwest, west, and south swells, quality of wind, etc. I also surf, so I am curious to know how the surfing compares as well.

Thanks,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: