myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where is the best DTL wave sailing on the east coast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No irony whatsoever.
The problem with living near OceanBeachSF is that the water all summer is in the mid 50's, the air the same, the waves thicker and more powerful than almost any beach break anywhere in the world.
So, while it's really fun to ride a 52cm wave board on a sideshore day there, which translates to once every 2 years, most days, it's 5-12mph, foggy, and really desolately cold. Not conducive to any kind of water sport.
The 5-12 really hurts also, expecially since it's mostly onshore winds when it's light.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad that yet another East Coast thread has gotten hijacked
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the large dark lump at the bottom of the path at coastguard, seen in the webcam? back on the east coast.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a troll hunched over a laptop?
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....It's a vinyl weave mat maybe 10 feet wide by 40'....To make the beach wheelchair accessible, and encourage a pathway over the dune......But now, it's all washed up twisted and a mess.

Does look like a dead whale on the cam though

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capetonian,

As others have noted, there are tons of places all up and down the east coast that have their epic days... but consistency is king and I think that Hatteras and Cape Cod are probably the spots to look to if you want good conditions more than once or twice a month.

If you want wind, avoid Hatteras in August. Otherwise, every other month offers up great, fun wave sailing conditions a few days per week on average (with occasional flat spells). If you want big waves, August-September are peak hurricane season and offer the best chance for XL long period swell. Honestly though, our standard Spring and Summer SW wind wrap around swell is just as fun and no where near as scary. Embarassed Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just enjoyed a side on day at sebastian inlet.

the sand bar south of the inlet is called monster hole.

the break at monster hole allowed set waves to curve around to offer prolonged front side rides.

i've seen this at other inlets too. also, dunno why, waves get amplified at inlets too. it was 3 feet overhead. rides were very long, and a ton of fun. no wetsuit required.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rollerrider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this topic cause we will be retiring soon and looking to move to the coast. Would like Hatteras but winter seems too nasty. I see some posts about Florida and we are considering St Augustine or Jensen Beach. Looks like Jensen Beach also has inter coastal sailing access. Waves look good at St Augustine and Jupiter inlet but what is the wind like in Florida throughout the year? Is it too light in the summer or is it possible to SUP sail? Being in a retirement mode I would be able to sail whenever the wind blows so how often a week?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUP sailing has 2 variants. lots of folks get SUP's with surf rockers that do not plane worth crap.

my style of long board wave sailing means using a planing long board. the 11'5" surf variant of the kona one.

jensen beach is attractive except for the st lucie nuclear power plant too close for me.

hobe sound, jupiter inlet is far more attractive. cape canaveral is pretty goodf too.

i use my 11'5" in the surf about 80-100 times a year. work is a 4 letter word. short board surf sailors get 12-18 times a year.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
I'm interested in this topic cause we will be retiring soon and looking to move to the coast. Would like Hatteras but winter seems too nasty.

Not sure what "nasty" is for you. The OBX clearly has a winter. The last two have been unusually cold. However, the typical winter is relatively short (Jan - Mar) and relatively mild (40s/ 50s). A good number of people sail through the winter because it usually isn't that cold and it's windy.......a lot! It just depends on what you want. JB indicates 12-18 short-board days a year in Fla. Someone who is retired could expect at least the low end of that range during a decent month in the OBX. It's unusual not to get a couple of sessions a week for an extended period (i.e. more than a week or two).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: