myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water start preference poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Water start preference poll Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways windsurfers accomplish the various techniques needed to perform our sport.
The big question: When it is nice and windy and you will be planing instantly, have you ever tried water starting with both feet in the foot straps?
Is this a preference for anyone? Especially in very challenging conditions?

If you never do this, why not?
Is your preference one foot on the board (front or rear foot) or both?
Does this vary with which board you are using?

My own answer: I prefer starting in the straps. If not windy enough, then both feet on the board. I now always wear a flotation/impact vest, ever since I broke my ribs loose at Rowena on an insanely gusty day.
In the past, I used to place the rear foot on the board and sink the tail, while kicking my way up with the front foot. Wider boards, and lighter winds, is what drove me to change.

All responses, short or long, welcome. Thanks! Smile
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the purpose of your poll? Just curiosity ?
It's a matter of habit I guess. I do it with one foot over usually, I've done it few times with both feet in the straps in very overpowered situations after being catapulted before that but in lighter wind it seems to me that I'll be drifted to far downwind if I put my both feet up and wait for a gust. I don't know what it's like to have a constant strong wind-here in the Midwest it's never like that Sad
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different ways in different situations for me.
>No current, good wind, both feet on the board, w/ the front foot in front of the foot strap, to help keep the board pointing down wind'ish.
>Strong current, good wind, front foot up, rear foot down to help control my positioning.
>Very little wind, w/ or w/o a current, both feet up, w/ the front foot near the uni., mast as vertical as I can get it, front hand near the bottom of the mast, rear hand grabbing the lower leach as far back as I can reach, and then sort of shimmying up the mast as much as the little wind will allow me, until I'm standing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends completely on the conditions at that moment.

1. Plenty of wind: both feet on the board with my back toes in their strap to control the board's yaw and roll angles.

2. Marginal wind: back toes in for the reasons stated, front leg thrust down and forward to act as a sea anchor to increase my apparent wind.

3. Light wind shadow with good wind and swell outside: #1 position as I butt-sail out to the wind line, where I revert to #1. It's infinitely more relaxing than slogging and often easier to stay upwind.

4. Light wind with none in sight and plenty of daylight left: a nap, with both feet lying on the deck so we don't drift part or hanging wherever they wish if I'm holding on with my hands.

5. Light wind and darkness or a large dark object approaching: #2, with hands low on the rig and front foot ready to place in front of the mast as I struggle to my feet straddling the mast on a tiny sinker.

6. Too much wind, just trying to survive until I can get ashore and rig down: back foot secured in its strap for full control, front foot near or in its strap, 'cause I know I'll be at full speed in heavy chop before I can even fully stand up.

I VERY seldom start with both feet in their straps because I'm on small to very small boards with small tails and the wind is very gusty, so I want to be able to get my weight forward in an instant when necessary to prevent sinking the tail if I overestimate the wind or it plays games with me. That's optimized by already having the front foot just ahead of its strap, where a simple weight shift can trim the board even before or as my butt clears the water if necessary. Back before I got good at reacting instantly to sudden holes in shoreline wind eddies, starting with the front foot in its strap was useful; now it's usually useless or even counterproductive.

7. Good wind in chest-to-neck-deep water Jump Start: with both feet on the bottom of the lake, I simultaneously sheet in and leap into the air, then come down on the planing board with both feet near their straps. It was an immediate piece of cake for me on port, remains tricky for me on starboard.

8. On my 135 liter windSUP: don't make no matter. Put my feet any danged place I want, yank the sail, and I'm up. There's nothing like flotation to reduce waterstarting to a no-brainer.

Just as with jibing, BFF/FFF, slashing, pumping, survival when overpowered, etc., a well-stocked quiver of adaptable techniques comes in very handy.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. When it is nice and windy and you will be planing instantly, have you ever tried water starting with both feet in the foot straps? Yes, quite often after failed tricks. I even water start in both straps in the harness after crashing on a jump.

2. Is this a preference for anyone? Especially in very challenging conditions? Not a preference, more of the smartest choice (easiest or safest) based on many conditions.

3. Is your preference one foot on the board (front or rear foot) or both? One foot preference.

4. Does this vary with which board you are using? Not when there is enough wind to do a normal water start. If very windy or not enough wind it will vary a lot.

The two paths to water starting are sailing the board downwind forcing water under the rail or sailing the board forward across the wind forcing water under the bow.

In the downwind sailing mode our goal is to just get up and is done with two feet on the board. A board sliding downwind sideways creates a massive drag so we need less sail power to get under the sail and over the board. In the lightest of conditions on boards 115 liters & smaller we turn the board upside down making it easier to get both feet on the centerline & increasing the amount of drag as the board rolls over on its side. To increase sail power we grab the mast & foot of the sail as low as possible. This is the no-wind water start. Boards larger than 115 are generally harder to roll over & easier to just uphaul. Obviously as the wind picks up trying to force water under the rail leads to greater risk for catapult and if we don’t turn the board upside down than it is very hard to get our feet on the centerline to level the board to created enough drag to pull us up. More likely we end up drifting sideways downwind with almost enough power in our sail to get up.

In the across wind water start our goal is to sail-steer the board from the water through rig control. Using rig control to steer the board slightly down wind when under powered, across the wind when nicely powered, or slightly upwind when over powered. This is generally easier with the back foot on the centerline & the front foot in the water acting like a dagger board or paddle-kicking- to help steer the board & get us up. Modifications to this technique based on conditions would be like having both feet on the board requiring more sail power to prevent the board from rounding up but the goal is the same, sail the board from the water before getting on the board under the sail.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Plenty of wind, usually two feet on the board, but one is fine.

2. Light to medium wind, two feet on the board. Without much force in the sail, one foot on the board is like a one legged squat, even with the other foot kicking.

3. Really light wind and a small board that would be tough to uphaul because of size or wave action - two feet on the board, on hand on mast and one hand on the boom or foot of sail if the boom isn't working.

3. Never though of trying to get my feet in the straps unless I fell with them already there and happened to be in a water start position.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Water start preference poll Reply with quote

ultra Light wind, front foot on the board, front hand on the mast, back hand
on the sail foot near the clew, mast vertical.

Light wind, front foot on the board, back foot kicking in the water, hands on
the boom, front arm straight.

Solid wind, back foot on the board,

Strong wind, both feet on the board (most typical where I sail)

Honk'n wind, both feet on the board in the straps.

or any combination that gets me up.

-Craig

winfreak wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways windsurfers accomplish the various techniques needed to perform our sport.
The big question: When it is nice and windy and you will be planing instantly, have you ever tried water starting with both feet in the foot straps?
Is this a preference for anyone? Especially in very challenging conditions?

If you never do this, why not?
Is your preference one foot on the board (front or rear foot) or both?
Does this vary with which board you are using?

My own answer: I prefer starting in the straps. If not windy enough, then both feet on the board. I now always wear a flotation/impact vest, ever since I broke my ribs loose at Rowena on an insanely gusty day.
In the past, I used to place the rear foot on the board and sink the tail, while kicking my way up with the front foot. Wider boards, and lighter winds, is what drove me to change.

All responses, short or long, welcome. Thanks! Smile
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted
http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
seen plenty of folks on lighter wind daze in the columbia river gorge (the ditch) put both feet up on the board and wallow for 10 minutes
trying to get up on the board. waste of time and energy

Yup. If I can't pop out of the water, I can't plane. And if I can't plane, I see no point in wasting energy standing on my board (unless it's important that I be somewhere else ASAP, such as crashing surf, barges, darkness, crossing a swirling wind shadow towards windier pastures).
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
ditch sailors that go to surf conditions on the east coast get hammered doing this.

That is because you only see the less skilled, dumb ditch sailors. The more skilled smarter ones fly 5 hours in the other direction. Laughing

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: