myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing at night under full moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Sailing at night under full moon Reply with quote

Yesterday at my homespot it was just perfect, full moon with a warm 18 knots breeze......
I am a yachtsman and have a lot of nights sailing in open waters under my belt so the idea is not something I never thought about.
I am really up to this challenge and wanted to ask some advise about my idea.

I plan sailing my 175L 10' Exocet WindSUP, the board I am always using at my homespot now. It's a big bay that I know very well with a small port but almost no traffic apart from some local fisherman. I got into the habit of strapping a paddle to the boom and learned to rig and de-rig in open water so when the wind should drop I just paddle home. When the wind picks up I can crank up the down haul with my North Power XTR extension.
I always take a waterproof phone and a small GPS with me so if I get into real trouble I can call the local coastguard, they have a small SAR boat in the port standby and know me.
I need to find a small waterproof 360 light that attaches to the top of the mast. Other than that I found this picture of two headlights attached to the boom but I don't think I will need them when sailing under full moon.

Anything else? Should I take a flare with me? I have been thinking to buy a small personal EPIRB before but I know from experience that a mobile phone has a lots of range. I mean you should sail really offshore not to be able to call anymore. I usually sail not more than 5 nautical miles offshore.

Any experience or thoughts appreciated!

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  617.7 KB
 Viewed:  22795 Time(s)

image.jpg

Last edited by antonputman on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about not using the flash lights, you'll probably see better without them. In theory, you are supposed to have positional lights, same as sailing, but you know your coast guard and local traffic.

If you have obstacles in the water, you may want to tape some glow sticks to them. I once sailed at night a few hundred yards upwind of a spot I had sailed at for a week before. Not a full moon, and vision from a high-power headlamp was just 100 ft or so. I was alone (except from a few drunk locals in a poorly marked cat) and stayed close to shore. Was very glad I did not go out further when I sailed the next morning, and discovered a lot of stakes in the water a bit further out.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because crap happens, I'd add the flare. I'd also let a friend and the Coast Guard know you'll be out there. Other than that, you sound well prepared.

OTOH, I've even tried to use aircraft landing lights to spot objects -- two buds blown across a big reservoir -- at night. Useless; the black night and water just swallow up light. I was once the missing person swimming my gear towards shore after dark, and was so close to George on the shore that we were conversing with just slightly raised voices, yet even with his headlights blazing in my face and my white board belly lifted upright to reflect them back at him, he could not see me until we were within rock-throwing distance. In those conditions, I'd say a light is useful only for repairing something, for being seen by others, and for interfering with your own night vision.
antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as regulations at night we could just carry a 360 white light. We don't need the red/green/white single tricolor navigation lights like on sailboats because windsurfers are <7m
Quote:
A sailing vessel of less than 7 metres in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule (where b is a single tricolor), but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

I have been looking what kayakers use at night and there are some small waterproof lights that combine both navigation and safety with various functions like strobe, 360 decklight, SOS etc. Just need to find out a way to secure it in the top of the mast, maybe with a clamp like the GoPro Flymount or anything similar DIY?

http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/watersports/p40340.htm

Another light should be a 'working' light for adjustments, small reparations etc.
A) a headlamp like the famous PETZL (I once had one which could flip a red filter)
+ a small distress strobe light like the ACR FireFly Pro visibility rated 3.5 nautical miles
or
B) a combined safety strobe / working light like the ACR Firefly Plus rated up to 1.7 nautical miles.
Only problem with B is working with both hands?

Coming back to the previous picture a posted from the boom with the 2 headlights, this looks indeed not a good idea as such lights will blind the night vision. I remember very well when sailing at night with a full crew some dork working on the bow always had to disorientate the helmsman, hence why I use the red filter when doing the bow myself.
When windsurfing I noticed that I am looking at my nose quite a lot, also when SUP-ing. Some light to check out chop or small waves in the front might be necessary when the moon is not completely full or when a cloud covers the moonshine. But is has to be something glow in the dark or a red light.

Anyway I finally found a video of some guys wavesailing at night:
https://vimeo.com/68094267
Some of them use headlights. Notice the generator with the lamps to get back to the beach. I think it is very important to have some orientation lights. But again I know my bay very well and have been out on dinghies and small yachts numerous times in my area.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Knowing the shoreline" in daylight means little at night. I've sailed the Gorge and several lakes (including giant Amistad Reservoir at 75 miles long with well over twice the coastline length of Texas, much of it in another country) at night, and find that the night and day cues are almost independent of one another. The strobe on my van got pretty hard to find even in the little old Gorge.

I suggest you add food and water and a "space blanket" in case you spend the night out there. Flares look a lot like fireworks, and I've had the CG and Sheriff ignore my flares as my boat sunk into the Columbia directly off the Hood River Event Site.
smithmail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck, post how it was when you return Razz
smithmail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck, post how it was when you return Razz
P.S. Sry for double post Sad
ghost1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 nautical miles offshore at night? I wouldn't have the guts to do that. Personally I wouldn't venture out that far. I windsurfed once at night at my local spot and honestly it was just too damn creepy for me. No idea what was in front of me, and the hardest part was judging the water state and chop.

I respect the fact you're going out though! Would love to hear how it goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: