myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even consider "noise" to be a problem in Hood River unless you live near the freeway or train tracks. Or if during the summer your neighbors have loud parties late at night while your windows are open Sad But other than that it is very quiet.

I do have many cycling friends but it SEEMS cycling is better out by The Dalles for the majority of the year. In the winter however cycling slows down for a lot (as does windsurfing). Whitewater sports and mountain sports take over. If you don't enjoy these winter sports, you will find winter somewhat depressing if you stay the entire time in Hood River. I tend to plan my vacations for the winter and visit warm places. I have NO desire to leave here in the late spring/summer/early fall....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,

I live next to the freeway(when I'm there). It is noisy, and took about
a week to get used to (especially the illegal Jake Brakes). 2 blocks to
the South (deeper into town) you can't hear it.

-Craig

beaglebuddy wrote:
My only concern is the close proximity of the highway to the town, is highway noise a problem?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

when it's over 60 degrees at bedtime I must have the wind in my face to sleep.

It's been freezing here, people walking on my street with winter coats and wool caps, I can't seem to get warm. Two quilts and two beagles in the bed with me. Today it may not reach 70 degrees, last night it got down to 64, Tuesday it was 59, brrrr. In all seriousness it's what you are acclimated to, it doesn't feel warm to me until 80 degrees then at 89 to 90 which is the max here I'm sweltering, below 72 and I need a sweater. If I do come to HR it will be quite an adjustment.
mikeg83

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the replies and I think this has ended up as an awesome source of info for any one else possibly looking at HR. It seems like an awesome place.

Just a quick update, unfortunately the job she was looking at was filled before having a chance to move on it.

We're not looking to make the next life transition until June-ish so there's still plenty of time to figure out what's next. Mostly we're looking at the PNW and the east coast (NC, etc). Trying to aim for places with a lively vibe and plenty of outdoor recreation. We'll see what happens from here. Again, I appreciate all the helpful responses.

- Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I weren't so DAMNED hooked on windsurfing, I'd still be living in the high desert SW, almost certainly Utah, and ANY place but the eastern half of the U.S. The heat, humidity, crowds, bugs, and dearth of public recreational land east of the west Texas dry line drove me west (CAREFUL: not TOO far west) forever. I put up with HR's climate when it's windy there and nowhere else, but stay further east in my beloved desert when the wind moves further east. Certainly, though, HR and points west do offer greater recreation opportunities than my eastern PacNW zone with its nicer weather. Everything has its own set of pros and cons. The only exception IMO is the eastern 60% of the nation; 30 years there were 26 years too many now that I know better.

Mike \m/
eastland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Vet practice fsbo Reply with quote

I was looking at this spot for the 5.5 acres but decided it was too busy. Looks perfect for you though since it has a vet clinic already.

http://fsbo.com/listings/listings/show/id/168643/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one great writeup. Almost makes me want to go to vet school and move to Parkdale. Google Earth the address, zoom in on the nearby blue roof, and you'll get a good perspective of the property. You WANT a busy road for the business, and can build behind the clinic for some isolation.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John...your analysis sounds like it's from a guy who used to live in California!!! Laughing
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
John...your analysis sounds like it's from a guy who used to live in California!!! Laughing

Nah more like a guy who used to live in Hawaii. Granted I was only one year old...
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!! I love HR .. I would move there in a second...but the dreary 40 degree gray cap sitting on my head for 5 months would kill me..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: