myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeg83

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Hood River Reply with quote

So my fiance, an equine veterinarian, is looking at jobs for next year and an opening came up in Hood River. I was wondering, from a non windsurfing perspective, what it's like to live there. Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check out the Gorge Video just below? Even it doesn't do the place justice. If you like small towns surrounded by a HUGE variety of outdoor recreation and don't mind (or enjoy) long chilly wet winters with good winter sports, you should like the place. With a huge city an hour away and an incredible coast 3 hours away, it has a lot going for it. Windsurfing is just icing on the cake, and used gear (relevant to your first post), right up to that Kona you had your eye on, grows on trees here.
brettn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one on this forum remembers what life was like without windsurfing.

Maybe float the same post over at idontwindsurf.com.

Is there a reason you wouldnt just ask us if you should windsurf?
Reasons that don't qualify, to save you a diatribe from the tribe:
Old age
Missing limbs (missing more than one might get you off the hook)
Cantankerousness
Lack of time
Etc.

We could care less what else there is to do on a warm, windy summer day.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a CT transplant I can tell you that HR is far more diverse and cosmopolitan that most other small towns in rural areas. You will find good food, educated and diverse transplants, and a great friendly community. The weather sucks for the most part however. We get about 12 guaranteed great weeks of weather and the potential for a good spring or fall. There are unfortunately many days of dreary clouds and rain of some variety. It makes you appreciate any good days as bonuses. I was doing yardwork last Sat in a t-shirt for a few hours. Not bad for mid-Dec. So: safe, beautiful, diverse, mellow, friendly.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
We get about 12 guaranteed great weeks of weather

that's why many folks live a few miles further east and commute to HR or the Hatchery. One can stand at Rowena, look south, and see the dividing line between evergreen (marine, essentially) and deciduous (inland, even desert) foliage. It's a bit like Salt Lake City people who live and work and commit suicide beneath INCREDIBLE inversion layers (fog one can drink) all winter, despite blue skies and great recreation a few miles east (at the ski resorts and snowmobile havens) or west (in the beautiful desert). A little driving doubles the Gorge's nice weather.

BTW, brettn; check the OP's post history. He has sailed for decades and is getting into WSing. He just hasn't gotten on the one-trick pony yet. Smile
mikeg83

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That was (for the most part) incredibly helpful and informative. The reason I mentioned the non windsurfing perspective was because I thought the windsurfing there spoke for itself, just as the snowboarding does with Mt Hood right up the road. We spent the last 3 years in Fort Collins, CO and are now down in South Florida and while the sunshine and warm weather is nice, there just isn't any character--mostly chain restaurants and such. The part about the weather reminded me of a clip from Portlandia, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEBCS006HvA.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT'S A RIOT!
Reminds me of my five years in upstate New York.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, was away on vacation where it is warm Smile I moved to Hood River 4 years ago (after visiting for 15 summers). If you have ANY outdoor interest, you can pretty much do it here. World class whitewater, bicycling, mountain biking, you name it. And the windsurfing/kiting isn't bad either.

You MUST like rain. It rains here. Not normally a heavy rain, but a light constant rain. Than being said, drive 20 miles to the west and you will be a lot wetter. Drive 20 miles to the east and you will be a lot drier. Hood River is on the outer edge of the rain. Late Spring, Summer, and Fall are awesome. Winter pretty much sucks. SO FAR this winter has been gentler than usual. Normally the sun just hides in this gray inversion layer and doesn't come back for weeks. Seriously weeks. Snow tends to be short and light, but there are of course exceptions. Much nastier is freezing rain. It comes when a warm rain follows right after a cold spell.

GREAT town. The people here are great. VERY safe. There is a reason why it always seems to make the top 50 places to live in the US. However when summer comes, you will tend to dislike the "tourists" and how crowded it gets Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the old time locals think if you weren't born in the area you are
a tourist. ;*)

-Craig

johnl wrote:
Sorry, was away on vacation where it is warm Smile I moved to Hood River 4 years ago (after visiting for 15 summers). If you have ANY outdoor interest, you can pretty much do it here. World class whitewater, bicycling, mountain biking, you name it. And the windsurfing/kiting isn't bad either.

GREAT town. The people here are great. VERY safe. There is a reason why it always seems to make the top 50 places to live in the US. However when summer comes, you will tend to dislike the "tourists" and how crowded it gets Smile
jota

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an awesome community and very close to a major metropolitan area - if your wife is lucky enough to have a job here you shouldn't hesitate.

The community has grown so much that there are actually lots and lots of non-windsports people - young vibrant and fun but just not into the river sports. So she should be fine.

I say that because I have lived here 27 years, first as a crazy windsurfer and now enjoying kite time as well as WS when it's 3.7ish. Back in the day it was somewhat unusual to meet people who had moved here but didn't windsurf (unless they were wind widows). Now windsports is just another subculture in a vibrant place with lots to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: