myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1 or 2 board quiver?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: 1 or 2 board quiver? Reply with quote

When it comes to sail choice and wind speeds, I haven’t a clue on numbers. I feel the wind, look at the water, check out the leaves, if I’m on the beach, for sure I’ll ask around. Maybe go online, find a meter which never really equates to where I’m at. It’s always a guess. The system has worked for 20 years. What hasn’t worked for 20 years is TOW and not caring enough to pay attention to technology or learning. I was just having fun with what I had, not caring about the Jones or learning for that matter. This website changed that.

So... Once in my life I had a hard number. This November at Worldwinds. I used a 7.8 no cam with a 104 magic Ride in 13-15 mph and was planing pretty darn good. It’s a bigger sail than recommended for that board. Easy flat, salty conditions, turned like butter.

I am light. 145 lbs. Please keep that in mind for my questions.

My Stats.

I have 3 sails. All are circa 2001 (no mold). I plan on possibly adding 2 new ones for the end ranges (4.8 Retro and a 7.5 or 8.0 Retro to replace the GTX). I will not be sailing anything bigger than 8.0, preferably 7.8! Please keep that in mind as well.

2001 Sailworks Retro 5.5 (used 20%)
2001 Sailworks Retro 6.5 (used 30%)
2001 Gaastra GTX (2 cam) 7.5 (used 50%) It’s worn and heavy, but still works fine.

My only current board is a 2012 JP Funride 130 (72cm). The Funride is limiting in many ways, but still a lot of fun in the right conditions. My only previous board was the 1993 F2 comet slalom. It did turn better at 10ft., but was much slower and certainly bumpier. Way more limiting. I needed an upgrade after 20 years, but didn’t realize how width had changed the volume game, otherwise I probably would have gotten a little smaller board. All is cool.

Location and conditions

A) I now sail mostly inland Wisconsin (60-70%) small lakes, water state is never really a concern.
B) Lake Michigan (30-40%). Usually offshore, water state is messy, must be careful when I hit the wind line. Safety is always on my mind. Choppy. Sometimes I’ll sail onshore if the conditions work for me.

Even though most days are light, there are many days I could take advantage of stronger winds on both lakes, which I don’t do because of my board. So I will be getting a smaller freemove around 100 - 110 liters to work from about 4.8 - 6.5 or possibly 7.0.

Here is my question.

Since I will have a smaller Freemove in the 100 -110 (68-74cm) range, which should work from 4.7 - 7.0, Should I replace the 130 Funride (72cm), for a board I could use in light wind (inland) sailing?

The reason I ask is, I am intrigued by light wind sailing, which are many days around here. In fact, many Summer days I can’t sail because of borderline planing conditions on my 72cm Funride using my 7.5 GTX. Again, I wish I had a hard number on those winds, but my guess is they average about 9-13 mph

Thinking these 5 options to complement a new Freemove.

A) Super light wind Ultra Sonic (used only when winds are under 12-14 mph and rarely used on Lake Michigan).
B) New larger freemove, say 120 or 130 liter (78 -80cm) which would be a 2 board quiver I could use anywhere.
C) Large Slalom (around 130 liters, 80cm, used ONLY when winds are under 14 mph)
D) Call it a day, keep 130 (72 cm) Funride as light wind board (it’s an entry level freeride).
E)Get the larger Freemove 110 (72-74), instead of 100 liter Freemove and get rid of the 130 Funride. The one board quiver option.

Remember, I was up and planning on the 104 Magic Ride in 13 - 15 mph using 7.8 no problem, but it was super easy Corpus Christie. In reality, my conditions are gustier, more challenging.

Given my 145 lbs., I wonder if I can take advantage of 9-13 mph winds? If I use my biggest sail (say it’s a 7.8 or 8.0 Retro) on a large (wide) slalom (say 130 liters) when winds are under 13 mph, will I just fly? Or that ultrasonic with a 7.8 in the same winds? I wonder at my weight will those boards get up and planning considerably better than a large freemove or my 72cm Funride?

Please remember, if I am on 4.5 - 6.5 or maybe even 7.0, I will be on a 100-110 freemove in both lakes and will not be sailing bigger than 8.0 ever. I’m inclined to go with Option E (larger 110 Freemove) and call it a day. It will have a little more width and float to get me planing, but sacrifice winds under 5.0 I am still curious about those light wind planning machines though? No interest in longboards or formula by the way, just beam reach blasting.

One last question. Do ultrasonic and large slalom really need race sails for my light wind idea on flat water?

Thoughts?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Cross 138 would suit you in the lightest of winds. plus about exocets is they only top out well past most sailors' expectations. friend of mine has an old warp slalom 78, same hull. he's 140 lbs. he sails lots with a 9.0 sail when most of us choose to keep working.

http://www.exocet-original.com/scross-carbon.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried the Magic Ride series, but I will comment that for your weight and sail choices, the JP FSW is a wonderful board, the 101 litre you would find amazing for 4.8 to 6.5, really quick and manuverable, and probably smoother in choppy conditions than the Magic Ride 104. (narrower) Then for the other board, since you like the Magic Ride, choose the 118 litre. It would be more than enough for your big sails.

If you have your heart set on the 104 Magic ride, I would purchase the 132 Magic Ride as the bigger board, both boards would feel and ride similar, and thus it would be no problem switching from one to another. To go from a 104 Magic Ride to something like the I-sonic, the switch will require different gybing and sailing technics, which will require much more time to dial in. Make it easy on yourself.

KMF
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Atom IQ 110. I can't say enough good things about the wide freemove boards. I'm about 170 lbs. I was always the first guy planning at my lake in the in the lite wind. The biggest sail I own is a Ezzy Cheetah 6.5. Guys my size with older freeride boards would need a meter bigger to get going as quick as the Atom. At 74cm its a very big board for my body weight. I would still have it if I bought the 100 liter board. One of the big big guys bought it from me. He loves it. I now have the JP Magic ride 104.
At 68 cm wide its exactly what I was looking for. Its just a bit more lively on the water than the Atom. This can be a good thing or not depending on your skill level. Its free and fast. Both are fantastic boards.
At your weight, I would not go any bigger than 100/108. As your skills develop you will be glad you didn't.. At your body weight you can go with a much bigger sail than rec. If you like the JP 104, That's the one I would go with. CHECK OUT BIG WINDS FOR A GREAT PRICE ON THESE BOARDS. They where offering a bag for free last week. Don't get the ES. Go FWS of Pro. Call me 805 219 0435 if you would like to get my thoughts on these boards. Lots of wind experience und my belt....Tony
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last thought. keep the big cause you won't get much for it. After you get time on the new freemove board, I don't think you will use the big much.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sometimes I’ll sail onshore if the conditions work for me."

I would like to offer my recommendations, but I would like to better understand your statement above. Given the fact that your smallest sail is a 5.5, and you're sailing a 130 liter board at your weight, seems to suggest that maybe you're not up for challenging wind and water conditions. Also, you've been windsurfing for long time, so I have to think that you have a fairly good grasp of the sport. I realize that the conditions in your area often tend to be on the light side, yet I have to think that Fall and Spring conditions can be very lively warranting the use of small sails (5.0 and under) and an 80 liter board.

With respect to your interest in very light winds, why is your sail size limit only 7.8-8.0, yet you have a focused interest in 130+ liter boards? Planing boards in this super plus range are usually targeting sails 8.0 and up, to include larger fins to correspond with the more extreme widths OFO the tail. Normally, I see these boards more focused on bigger sized sailors that want to be competitive with the average sized sailors.

Please don't get the wrong idea about my questions and comments. I really want to know more about what you want, and what you don't want from the sport. Knowing more, I think that I can offer you some interesting choices.
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a bit south of you -Chicago-and also sail The Big Lake and a small one nearby wind direction depending. I'm 170lbs and up until this last season had a 4 boards quiver consisting of 9' WindSup; 136l Freerace; 112l slalom and a 92L FSW-sails from 4.2 to 9.0. My most used board/sail was the 112/7.5 At some point this season I realized that I've got efficient enough to not need the 136 anymore and actualy used the 9.0 with the 112 for a while until again realizing how little I gain from this big sail compared to the 7.5 at the price of so much more work. At this moment on I started looking for a board with comparable size to the 112 but with a better early planing and carving characteristics. I think I've found it in the shape of a Starboard AtomIQ 110 and I had a few happy sessions on it before the polar vortex hit. I sold the 136 and will put for sail the 112 and the 9.0. I hardly ever sail the Windsup anymore /twice for the whole season/ probably because I can choose my sailing days and of course I'm choosing the windier once when I can use my short boards Very Happy . I will keep it for now though-it's a good one and fits in my car and who knows. The 92 is a 2006 JP FSW with a strong wave biase and its pain in the ass in gusty winds so I use it only on Lake Michigan in Nordish winds wich are way more consistent and its a lot mor fun in the swell and big chop anyway. I'll replace that one with a contemporary better B&J suited board like the Kode hopefully before the next season with Forward Loop ambitions in mind.
I'm giving you the long version of my story so you can see why I've come to my conclusions and how much they relate to your situation .
So my plans for the next season are /excluding the WindSup/: the AtomIQ 110 +Kode 86 and 4.2;5.0;5.8;6.5 and 7.5 sails. For my 170lbs and our conditions I think I'll be all set for a while. Im avoiding days when it's less then 10mph low opting to work instead or spend time with my wife and thus having more of the windy ones for myself.
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: And btw like Tom said a 100 lt Freemove would be a great one board quiver for you if you are not into jumping or other "crazy" stuff;) . It will be your most used board and you can always add a smaller and/or bigger ones later. Just take your time, get good at it first so you can better understand what additional boards you may need if any at all. I would recommend you letting your current one go -it's too big for you, it's for beginners and you better work as much as possible on the future smaller one.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question swchandler, If I were a better sailer I think I would have a 3 board quiver. An 80 liter FSW, a 100 Freemove, and a light wind board.

You are correct, I don’t have the ambition for rougher conditions or tricks. If I lived on the ocean where swells are a block apart and smooth between waves, I probably would learn to be a wave sailor. Lake Michigan’s waves are short, steep, always breaking and frequent. It’s a mess and I don’t know how the local sailers do it. Not in my cards. I used to take that old Comet out in those conditions like an idiot.

When I say onshore on Lake Michigan, I mean a South/East winds which don’t have as much fetch and typically are lighter. Or a light N.E. when the waves haven’t built. Those days can be fun for me. Even on my 130 liter. 4.5 or less with onshore winds on Lake Michigan, I don’t have the skills for.

For Lake Michigan, I have always needed a board I can uphaul. With offshore, there is a slog zone, and wind line, even on 30 mph days. I cant afford to make a mistake and camp on the lake so I need a board I can uphaul for that lake (min. 100 liters) for me with waves, wetsuits, PFD, helmet etc.

When I’m in Wisconsin, anything goes. Its a small flat lake and I can’t get into trouble, but no need for FSW just Freemove lawn mowing. 100 Freemove will work down to 4.2 on that lake, also work on Lake Michigan, but not heavy onshore.

The reason I don’t want a sail bigger than 7.8 or 8.0 is weight and pain in the arse. I figure at 145 lbs, if I can’t get planing with a 8.0 it’s a losing cause.

I realize most large slaloms and super light wind boards like the ultrasonic or JP super lightwind aren’t meant to be used with sails smaller than 7.8.

Which is why I ask the question. At 145 lbs, using a 7.8 or 8.0 Retro, would I be better on a larger freemove in the middle of the sail range or a large slalom or Ultrasonic with a sail in the lowest recommended range? Again for winds from 8 - 14 mph. Or is it a losing cause. Just wondering if I can take advantage of my weight. That JP super lightwind looks sweet in the videos.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be a serious windsurfer?
That's what it comes down to, every serious windsurfer that I know has at least a 2 board quiver, one for light wind, and one for strong wind.
It doesn't matter where you sail, there will be strong days and light days, you need at least 2 boards to cover what you will encounter.
Nuff said, keeping it simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: