myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is my board too small?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans wrote:
to be able to sail back to shore in my gusty offshore winter conditions I would at least need 115L. What I am looking for is a bigger bump n jump or FSW board that lowers the no-planing stress factor. Something that feels safer than the 96L

sorry if I offended using the term "lake"

- I need to decide between a 2 or 3 board quiver. Like I said I would really try to avoid 3 boards. I am traveling with another SUP board and a total of 4 boards is getting too much to camp with the GF in the van. Less is more, also it makes deciding a lot easier!

I could consider the 3 board quiver but only for one season or so like suggested to finally arrive at the 96L 3S. Question is will I arrive quickly enough? And why keep the 3S when I am not using her anyway? I could always get another one.

- Resale value, even if I am not too worried about that anyway.

This post sheds a lot of important light on your scenario. Money isn't a primary driver, your GF is, and most important of all, you sail in offshore winds. The latter, presuming you're talking a major body of water (I'm guessing it's salty and is visible on a world map), would have me using 500 liters plus a daggerboard plus a motor ... hell, plus a tether (to a reallyreally big object on dry land) based on the two occasions I've had motors fail in the evening many miles off the Florida Keys and Los Angeles' Marina del Ray.

No offense taken on the "lake" reference; my response was meant to be informative to all readers, not chastisement to any.

The previous comment about owning 3 boards and taking only the most likely pair is also excellent advice when applied to 3 + the SUP. I'd guess that's clearly the best way to bump your skills up (down in size) to the next level without having to add a roof cargo box for the GF. (Not totally joking; I've seen people camp on top of their van for its superior space, nice breeze, cleaner environment, and easier ... i.e., self ... loading.)

A drawback with one too many boards is that you must decide in advance what gets left behind based on a forecast rather than looking at the water real time. I've begun doing that lately because of crowded parking (caravan 10 boards and 7 rigs; Subaru three boards and 4 rigs), and it has bitten me only once or twice so far. OTOH, once on site in the Subaru, the limited choices make decisions much easier. Big, Small, or In-Between removes the nuances from the dilemma, and has led to some great sessions in which I'd have rigged wrong given more choices.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, I am one of those advocating keeping a 3 board quiver.
Learn to forecast the wind in advance at your sailing site.
Then always take the mid-size board. The decision then is take the small board
if it's going to be windy, or take the long board if it's going to be light wind.
I've done this for years with a 5 board quiver and I only take 3 boards in the van (I have a long drive too). When it's really windy, NOTHING works better than a small board. You should be able to tell from the professional forecasts and your own forcast of your local sailing site, whether it will be really windy or light. Get used to knowing your weather and having more boards than you can carry,,,, it is your future, if you want to sail in all conditions.

Last edited by carl on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
antonputman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing isobars.

Hey I just found a used 112 RRD FIREMOVE LTD V2 2014 for €1.000
Not a bad price considering it costs twice new.
Everybody is talking about this "benchmark board" so I am kind of intrigued..
But the sailrange is only 6.0 – 8.0? So I can't even use my 5.5 sail??

How come the Tabou's state a much bigger lower range, or is it just marketing bullshit?
- 2014 3S 116 CED, 242 x 66, 4.7 - 7.8, new €1.000
- 2014 Rocket 115 CED, 242 x 66, 4.7 - 7.5, new €1.000

btw It is very easy condition wise. In the summer 5-15 knots onshore. In the winter 20-30 knots offshore. The dilemma is that those 15-20 knots (15 - 25 mph) rarely exist. That's why I sold the 125L Rocket. I got my boards right for summer + winter but the real problem are my slogging skills en confidence in the 96L board!!

Last edited by antonputman on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the longer boards will sail a bit smoother in choppy winds.

i do like the fire moves, but they require either smoother winds or very stable sails.

shorter boards can sink the nose if one does not position the feet perfectly for any given angle of attack and applications of power. again, been there, compared that.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
You should be able to tell from the professional forecasts and your own forcast of your local sailing site, whether it will be really windy or light.

Please tell me where that works. I'll move there.

Or at least consider it. Smile

Even when all 4 or 5 of our (fairly) independent forecast sources agree, they are fairly often off in either direction by 15-30 mph. (I'll ignore the times they were off by 40 or 50 mph ... both ways ... all day ... seriously ... and the MANY days sources disagree by 20-30 mph.) And that's out in the desert end of the Gorge and the desert SW U.S.; it's even tougher to forecast in the heart of the Gorge's tortuous central venturi, where driving an extra mile can raise or lower wind speeds by 20-30 mph. Not even the gradient is a solid indicator; it can be worse than useless and mislead by sustained 40 mph, as it did just Thanksgiving Friday.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,

Iso's is probably correct on wind predictions. We are very spoiled here in the bay area with our reliable/consistent wind which is fairly easy to predict. That's why Andy has so many windsurf clinics here & only 1 in the Gorge. The Gorge can be epic but is much more of a crap shoot.

antonputtemans,

On the Fanatic line you might consider an older Hawk. The boards were originally made for pro super cross which was kind of a slalom race in B&J conditions with some freestyle thrown in. The board is fast & very maneuverable. The older the Hawk you get the better as the new ones are moving more towards a freemove shape. The 2010 110 liter Hawk that is 245x65 cm. At your weight the 110 sail range is 5.0-7.5 but I don't see why you couldn't use a 4.7. Use a 3 strap setup with the smaller sails & 4 strap with larger sails. Set the Hawk up with an appropriate wave or convert fin & it will handle 5.0 B&J conditions in the bay or the Gorge @ your weight. Down the line wave sailing applications are probably not as good as some other boards that you can get in this size, but will 20-30 knt offshore winds really provide much wave sailing for you? That I can't answer, just that the Hawk 110 is a very good large B&J board that handles strong winds & rough water.

Coach G
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original hawk was more of a cross venue board like its predecessor the XXX line. after that first year, it became more of a faster free ride. the original grey hawks were fabulous. was impressed during the WS Mag test, and had a few rides on one of tinho's from time to time. another classic that should have been left alone.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree John. There are many old boards which 'nailed it' for their intended usage. Attempts to improve them simply shifted the emphasis. If a design is right, it remains right. (The laws of physics are a constant.)

We are continually told that new boards have a much wider range of use than old, but on what basis is such a claim made? Have those making that claim done a PROPER head to head with a good old board of equivalent type?

My first board (Hi-Fli 555) was of the thin and wide typo, and was found to be wanting in beating upwind angles, off the plane. Thick boxy rails and waterline length were the answer to that. (Those laws of physics again.) Does that not still apply anymore??

In a situation of difficult gusty offshore winds and frequent lulls (only fitful bursts of planing, now and again), is thin and wide (and SHORT waterline length) really the ideal? I certainly don't find so!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
We are continually told that new boards have a much wider range of use than old, but on what basis is such a claim made?

Thick boxy rails and waterline length were the answer to that. (Those laws of physics again.) Does that not still apply anymore??

While long, thick, boxy rails certainly help us go upwind, they aren't necessary unless upwind ability is our paramount objective. Power and technique will get even wave boards way upwind toot sweet.

The basis for that range claim is advertising, aka PR. Shortwide primarily shifts the performance into a lower wind regime; it sacrifices ride quality and top speed at the upper end to gain planing and skating ability at the lower end.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW about slogging tiny wave boards upwind, by technique. (Spent too many years in the surf doing so.)

With regard to the second point (short and wide moving the emphasis to the lower end) that was precisely my finding on head to head testing of my old (original late 80's) 103 litre Mistral Screamer against my later (06 104 litre shorter wider) Mistral Syncro.

At the lower end the Syncro felt more floaty and versatile. (Less windy and less lumpy seas.) In the 'normal mid range winds, there was little discernable difference in performance. (After a few minutes, the board I was on was of no importance.) But at the higher end (typical 5.0 B&J bouncy seas) the Screamer was clearly better. The Syncro (wider) becomes too bouncy!

I could cite more comparisons (Have 15 boards, both old and newish in use, and several more in the attic), but suffice to CLAIM, a good old board remains just that, though equally SOME old boards were just always bad ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: