myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Symptoms of harness lines being too long?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Symptoms of harness lines being too long? Reply with quote

I was sailing with 26" lines just fine. Snapped a line during sailing so I swapped them out for 28" lines because I keep hearing they are better. Now it just feels like they are slightly too long. I fine them a little difficult to get out of and often quickly go onto my tippy-toes. Also, sometimes when I'm planing and I hit some chop the line comes out of my harness.

I try to keep low, I have my boom at neck height, and I use a waist harness. I am 5'7" tall. Are 26" lines long enough for mainly just free riding and blasting?

Just want to know if it's technique or if I should switch back down.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the number itself, it's all about what feels right for you.
Sizes vary across manufacturers, what brand is yours?

The signs for me that they are too long are over-reaching, arching my back, front hand reaching with finger tips!

The signs for too short of lines are a crowded feel (personal thing) and that I cannot extend my arms fully (this is critical as to minimize arms fatigue and stress).

But now 32 is the new 30, so your 28s are out of fashion anyway...

They are so many factors that come into play: hook height, type of harness, morphology, harness height, personal preference.

If you cannot achieve as many things comfortably more than on 26s then keep your 26s.
ghost1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Mine are Dakine, but those mono-lines. I don't like them as much because I find they have to be in the PERFECT position otherwise one hand is pulling wayyyy to much. My old Neil Pryde felt a lot better and I'd space them about 2-3 fingers-width wide.

I definitely feel like my front hand is reaching way too far. Sometimes it feels like the sail is dropping back too far as well. Also when powered up and in the chop I often accidentally pop out of the lines and have to get back in asap or I get out of control. I'll either round up wind or go on a wild downwind adventure. So I guess I'll drop down to 26". Probably better for my height.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost1 wrote:
Thanks.

Mine are Dakine, but those mono-lines. I don't like them as much because I find they have to be in the PERFECT position otherwise one hand is pulling wayyyy to much. My old Neil Pryde felt a lot better and I'd space them about 2-3 fingers-width wide.

I definitely feel like my front hand is reaching way too far. Sometimes it feels like the sail is dropping back too far as well. Also when powered up and in the chop I often accidentally pop out of the lines and have to get back in asap or I get out of control. I'll either round up wind or go on a wild downwind adventure. So I guess I'll drop down to 26". Probably better for my height.

Mono lines are "da bomb". But you will tend to be on a shorter mono line than a regular line. I'm 5'8" and have my booms between chest and shoulder height. I run 28's or 26's. The REALLY neat thing about mono lines are than you can adjust them EASILY while sailing. So if your hand is reaching too far forward adjust your harness lines!! I sail with a narrow shoulder width hand grip. You should also. If this isn't balanced, then adjust your lines....

Stance is everything if using a waist harness. If you aren't in the "7" position then your lines won't stay where you want them to. Which can lead to a bunch of things such as the lines "popping out".....
ghost1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain the "7" position? I have heard of it but not sure what it is.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure 7 is when your body is straight leaning as far back as the harness lines allow and your arms are straight with just the fingers around the boom. If you have to bent your arms-the harness lines are short, if there are straight and the lines unhook they are to long. Now that's in theory and in reality is not that simple: your harness rides up;your body is rarely straight etc.
Longer lines are needed for when you want to ride downwind as fast as possible -before a gybe; jump;freestyle move for example or when you ride super overpowered. To be able to do that your harness lines should be long to allow you to get very low /for leverage/ while hooked in without leaning the sail over yourself and chocking power. Also when using seat harness and keep the boom high for spped blasting /like me Embarassed /If you don't do this kind of stuff you don't need longer then 28" lines.
Just in case you are up for some experimenting here are some tips: for more speed in flat water straight line blasting use regular/not mono/ lines spaced one fist lenght for comfortably powered up conditions /longer for light wind/. Your front hand must hold the boom directly next to the line /tumb may be over it for reassurance/, back hand a bit farther back from the line. This way you are sheeting in better and keeping the sail upright at the same time. You may want to move the lines back just a bit to make it slightly front hand pulling if you want to go all the way for maximum sheeting in.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length of your lines has everything to do with your arm length and reach. I have shorter arms (ideally, I wear a 32" length shirt sleeves), and find 24" lines just right for me, and I wear a seat harness. Given the current trends, many would say my lines are too short, but I've used longer lines in the distant past, and they just weren't right for me.

The "7" stance is basically an illustration of how you look sailing. The top of the "7" is your arms, and the bottom of it is your body from the shoulders down. Of course, your legs bend to handle the conditions and control the board, but the idea is not to be bent over and have your butt hanging out. Moreover, the quality of your stance has everything to do with great windward ability. Overall, you want fairly straight extended arms, and have your butt tucked in.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
the idea is not to be bent over and have your butt hanging out. Moreover, the quality of your stance has everything to do with great windward ability. Overall, you want fairly straight extended arms, and have your butt tucked in.

That idea is from the era when the boards were long and sail tops had no twist. It is not working for the modern kit which requires more over the board low , ready for action stance most of the time exept leisurely cruising on a beam reach-wich is rare. So relax , sticking your boom out in many situations is actually recommended now days. Wink
Check this out:
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/Stance-%20angles.pdf
Another article from Simon Bornhoft where he calls it figure 7 drop & dig but other sources call it actually figure 6.
http://boards.mpora.com/how-to/intermediate/bodywise-part-3-simon-bornhoft-point-pressure.html
Somebody being cured from his 7 illness:
http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2011/07/lessons-from-matt-pritchard.html?m=1
And finally my favorite representation of 7. I call it curvy 7 Razz

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.41 KB
 Viewed:  19648 Time(s)

image.jpg

Last edited by adywind on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficulty getting in and out of harness lines & being on tippy-toes sounds more like short lines. Popping out of your harness while blasting sounds more like you are not committed to the harness which could be a case of lines being too long, not allowing you to sheet in enough, but it could also mean your lines are too short & you are not committing to the harness.

Make sure you are committing to the harness. You can practice on the beach, in clear wind. Place & point your board slightly into the wind, rake your sail back & hook in. Once hooked in, use your palms to press the boom away from you forcing you to commit to the harness. You can also practice by taking your front hand or back hand off the boom for 4-5 seconds at a time to make sure you are committing to the harness & not engaging with your arms.

Harness line length should embellish your stance and is an individual choice as is your stance. A general rule of thumb for harness line length is with your rig standing upright, press your elbow down into your harness line loop. If your boom crosses your wrist where you wear your watch you have short lines. I’m not going to say your lines are too short if the boom crosses your wrist below your watch line as I know of some people who sail that way, but I would say you are way off the norm. If the knuckles of your hand cross the boom you have long lines. I would say your lines are too long if you can’t wrap your fingers around the boom while pressing down with your elbow into your harness lines.

As for the mono line thing. That is a choice as well. Many of us that practice lots of sail chi prefer regular lines for their adjustability to the sensitivity of the wind. Narrower when light & wider when windy but never wider than a shaka.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The signs for too short of lines are ... and that I cannot extend my arms fully (this is critical as to minimize arms fatigue and stress).

... when reaching in straight lines, steady winds, and really flat water. In any conditions I ever encounter, my arms must be flexed enough to let me trim my sail, including everything from a tweak to adjust for wind direction to a 90-degree instantaneous sheeting angle change at the top or bottom of a wave/swell. In addition, straight joints are mechanically weak (i.e., subject to injury from lateral forces) and leave the hands an inch away from being ripped off the booms in a gust or accidental unhooking. My arms are far more comfortable, a LOT safer, and INFINITELY more versatile when flexed 30-40 degrees.

Maybe that's why some pros use harness lines down around 18-22 inches. It's a personal choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: