myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What skills must be learned before your first shortboard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: What skills must be learned before your first shortboard? Reply with quote

I'm getting better Smile

But I still have a long way to go. As part of a used sail purchase last summer, the seller threw in a 133L F2 Xantos 295

I'd love to take it out and try it, but will probably wait until next summer when conditions are a little warmer. In the meantime I have my 188L F2 Phoenix 320 longboard, which I love.

I'm good with the harness, kicking up the centerboard and starting to get into straps, tacking. When it's windy enough I can manage a beach start and VERY rarely a chest deep water start.

I have jibed maybe a handful of times and am not comfortable at all with it.

What should I be practicing to make the transition to a smaller board on the occasional windy days go a little more smoothly?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing! You are good enough, just GO for it ! As soon as the "stars align " -wind above 12 kts , flattish water , comfortable temperature and not too intimidating launch spot- go and take it for a ride. It's your ticket for going to the next level Smile
PS: I didn't want to post it at first, but just couldn't hold myself Embarassed IMHO this is exactly the thick; shortish and narow kind of boards that made learning to windsurf so difficult for so long. If you have a chance of replacing it with a modern short; wide and thin board of similar volume -Starboard AtomIQ 130 comes to mind-/if you are of average weight/ it will make your transition a LOT easier. The closest comparison of how different they feel is like standing on a rolling oil barrel vs on a stable raft.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water starting where you can't touch the bottom, everything else will take care of itself as long as you can that.
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, and ady thanks for voicing your opinion on the board. When I have trouble, it will be good to know it's a difficult board to start on.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have 2 fantastic boards. work on the basics with the long board as much as you can. try to plane around as much as you can and make your turns ever snappier. the xantos is a treasure. you will love it when you are ready.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three things to really focus on are as follows:

Waterstarts in all wind conditions

Sailing comfortably upwind without using a daggerboard

Tacking and jibing consistently in both light and strong winds
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to learn waterstarting on a smaller board because the tail sinks and doesn't slide away that much when you lift yourself up. I learned it the first day I started sailing my 92l. And on a 133L board most people can uphaul anyway...
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and I pretty much agree on this (a heavenly cacophany ensues).
That Xantos is a sweet ride, even if it isn't modern. You should practice your waterstart with it, and then ride it around. There's still one sitting
in my friends shed up in HR. We rode it early on up there in our
windsurfing career, it's been used as a shortboard learning tool by a
number of my friends, and we still consider it when there's been no
wind for a few days.

Learn that waterstart, and you can sail pretty much anywhere.

-Craig
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn water starts on any board, so don't wait until you get on the smaller one and get stuck.

Get comfortable with the foot straps. If you don't have enough speed to get into them, then you need more speed (larger sail or more wind).

Get comfortable gybing on the Phoenix where you are in the straps and planing as you enter the gybe.

Moving to the smaller board will be a piece of cake if you nail all the stuff above.

Your weight may be an issue here - above 200 and things will be a little challenging on the smaller board. Below 180 and the smaller board is plenty big for you now.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can uphaul your bigger board, and you weigh less than 225 lbs., you're good to go on the Xantos.
Keep the windward rail down a little from the leeward rail when slogging to maintain upwind.
Most anyone less than 225 lbs can easily uphaul the Xantos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: