myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fast-tracking Your Second Grade in Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hooked on an Alto at LakeMerced.
Really caught my first day in the surf, 8th overall day, a Marker111 at Ocean Beach on a S wind day and riding waves from outside bars thru to the shorepound, to get demolished, of course.
Yes, I got my sail caught under the old Sloat pier, the board atop the pier, and me stuck in between.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the smile. If your smiling, you're having fun and learning.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fellow was out in light to mid winds on an original Windsurfer and sail. he was getting killed. I passed and told him his sail was not full batten and tough to uphaul. he tried my Mistral Equipe with HSM SpeedFreak 8.5 and sailed away. He was grinning ...

About two(2) weeks ago, my colleague Antoine went to Cape Hatteras and was missing just that little bit to get planing. A woman asked if he wanted to plane. "But of course !" She asked then why wasn't he in his footstraps? THEN she followed him in a Zodiac and shouted instructions to him. He was the ONLY one planing then - he is quite light at about 150 pounds.

Friendlies on the water and local forums seem to help a lot.
It does NOT need to be "formal instruction" to be helpful !!!
don't always need the latest equipment either
Have FUN, get TOW and help each other.
ALL will be smiling Very Happy
(It does NOT matter what grade you are in )
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

In the end, the learning experience and its overall value comes down to one's personality, the environment and how it all best sinks in. For many of us, striking out on our own in learning the sport isn't a mistake like so many folks seem to want to emphasize.

Any given windsurfer will learn faster if given proper instruction. Without exception. If an instructor is robotic and attempts the exact same teaching style with every student there will be problems, but happily top instructors like the ABK school, Dasher when he was teaching, and (it's my understanding) Peter Hart's crew learn to pay attention to how each sailor seems to learn, and adapt to that.

There are people who don't want to be taught...that's their business. But there is no way that they'll learn faster or be better windsurfers in the end. Windsurfing is challenging enough that even the "short cuts" require a lot of on the water trial and error to master.

AndreiA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading all the comments, including the BS ones Smile

The purpose of the article was to reduce the number of dropouts (apparently the majority of them happen in Grade 2).

Happy sailing everyone!
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrei, how did you find your way to windsurfing from the middle of Canada? I know a few who gave it up due to family/career etc. Their sails would disintegrate if they unrolled them now. They are beyond grade 2. Once you plane out in the straps you never forget the feeling. That's the point where dreams start. At least it was for me.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect to get to grade 2 or above if you only have grade 1 sailing conditions.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dropouts happen when people realize that their local conditions are not up to grade 3 sailing without skipping work and driving far to chase winds.

My personal solution is to use a longboard. It's nicer when the majority of your conditions are not 100% planing even with large sails.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
I think dropouts happen when people realize that their local conditions are not up to grade 3 sailing without skipping work and driving far to chase winds.

My personal solution is to use a longboard. It's nicer when the majority of your conditions are not 100% planing even with large sails.

Amen! That was once the entirety of the sport, and windsurfing was huge. Great pleasure to be had in nonplaning conditions (and why I'll always have my Superlight.)

techno900

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are dozens of variables that determine how quickly one learns to windsurf and how fast they progress. Most have been mentioned so there is no incorrect answer, just different variables.

I learned from a library book in 1984 (I don't remember who wrote it). Rented a Windsurfer a couple of times then bought a HiFly 500 longboard. Within 18 months, I had a Mistral Superlight for racing and a 9'2" Bruce Jones glass board for higher winds after a very sort stent on an Atkin 9'11" transition board. A little more than a year after I began learning I spent 10 days camped at Maryhill in the Gorge in August of 1985. I progressed more in those 10 days than the previous year, even getting on a borrowed 3.7 at Doug's Beach in 40+ winds, for two days. I was still on my 9'2" board, which to say the least didn't want to stay in the water. I don't recall having much fun, but they were unforgettable "holly crap" days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: