myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freemove cut outs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: freemove cut outs Reply with quote

I have never tried a board with cut outs. How much faster do you think cut outs make a board? I tried both 104 Magic Rde and 105 Gecko as well as the 118's from both manufactures. Neither have cut outs. Liked the 104's better.

My next board will be a wide freemove around 104- 110 to work with 5.0-7.0. After trying them, I am hooked! Would like the fastest board in that segment. Thinking either Rocket Wide, Atomiq or Magic. Rocket and Atomiq both have the cut outs, Magic does not. Gecko is a great board, the easiest, most comfortable in that segment, but thought it lacked top end, at least compared to Magic.

Thoughts?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windsurf.co.uk/2014-120-litre-freemove-boards-test-reviews-reports/
Hope this article will help you narrow your choice. They nominated the Simmer as the fastest/ V bottom, no cutouts/ followed by the Starboard/ V bottom, small cutouts/. The board shapers say that the cutouts reduce drag by shrinking the surface touching the water and also decreasing the fin lift at top speed. The key word is "top speed "wich is affected by so many factors that I doubt many of us weekend warriors can feel the difference cutouts make. I think the bottom shape and rocker influence board speed in a more significant way and it seems that V bottom is preferred for speed , double concave bottom for comfort in chop, mono concave for early planing and flat for....I have no idea Embarassed On most boards there is some combination depending on what the shaper wants to accentuate.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told for decades that V was slow because it adds rail-to-rail distance. I never bought it in real world conditions for earthlings because V increases that distance by such a tiny amount relative to ride enhancement compared to a flat hull.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut outs make the release cleaner. make the boards livelier to plane, and to make them more responsive to subtle steering inputs. friend of mine has an old formula board that had no cut outs. he implemented them with great success.

my guess, not much need for all boards have cut outs, merely the ones that have wide shapes esp in the tail.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a video where the Starboard shaper Tiesda was explaining that the AtomIQs rocker is pretty much copied from the ISonic 110. That size is the most used one in slalom racing and represents the best balance of everything. This is why I chose it also and I think the AtomIQ specifically is essentially a wide and thin freerace board while the RRD Freemove for example is more like a FSW .
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with John here on the cutouts. Obviously there is more that goes into a boards speed than cutouts as you have to consider bottom shape as well and I don't know of any boards that come made exactly the same with or without cutouts.

My experience with cutouts on formula boards & larger slalom boards is in top end speed. Without cutouts the larger slalom & formula boards felt like they had more drag/sticky/slower & had lower GPS speeds than the boards with cutouts. I don't get the same feeling from the smaller boards. I have a 93 liter Futura with cutouts but it doesn't feel any faster and hasn't hit greater speeds than other 90ish liter boards without cutouts I have sailed.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 Formula Starboards have cutouts , my Tabou Rocket 135L does not.

BOARDs mag while in monthly print wrote that they felt they , cutouts were mostly a styling gimic.

I think several of the previous observations are correct in part. Since in effect they reduce the planing area, least I think thats what they do, the board wont plane as soon, but Iam speaking in micro release , what they DO is release the tail better in turns.

I would not pursue a purchase based on it they have them or not.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all race boards have them. My Tabou 3s 96 has them. I had the Atom 110 and it had them. On the really wide freemove boards they work to reduce the amount of board that is in the water. You can actually feel the board release when you get the board on the tail cut outs. My 3s is super smooth in chop for such a big board. The cut outs on it make the riding surface very narrow. I'm not sure its faster with the cut outs but it rides so good I can push it to the limit so I'm faster on it. I think the cut outs are a must on the wide boards. They free up the board and smooth out the ride. Besides whats the down side. Some might say they don't turn as good. Both the Atom and the 3s turn as good as any board I ever used....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Rocket wide 108 LTD sure looks good to me. Might go that way next time
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exocet and others have had cut outs with adjustable flaps. deeper cut outs offer a livelier ride with a more merely sailing on the fin feel at top speeds and aggressive angles. the counter intuitive part is the early planing release. the physics explanations are beyond me wanting to bother with. primary research is all i have needed.

want a more sedate ride? apply the plates all the way flush. want some verve? deepen them. want more? use a flexier fin.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: