myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Safety foot strap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm arguably doing that now by sailing conservatively, setting my straps in HUGE mode so my feet fall out easily, and making sure my feet don't go into the straps very far.
Windnc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Safety Foot Strap Reply with quote

As I stated in my earlier post regarding the "FootSaver" foot strap, here are some photos of the strap and release mechanism.

The FootSaver straps which I first bought back around 1998-99 from a guy in California if I remember right, came in "light", "medium" and "hard" versions. This was dependent on the thickness of the jaws where the teflon pin would pull free from upon release.

Once released you simply put the jaws end back between the pin hole end and reinserted the pin back through. I found getting the pin out to reinsert was sometimes difficult on the water so drilled a small hole in the head of the pin. I then ran a couple loops of dacron sail thread through the pin hole and attached the other end to the release mechanism. This allowed me to be able to pull on the string to pull the pin out, and then reattach the straps. It also kept you from losing the pin on the water.

For my 200 pounds I had too many false releases with the "light" version but found the "medium" and "hard" to work well. I used the hard on my wave/high wind boards.

Overall I had a few really hard wipeouts where the straps released as advertised and I did not even feel it so I felt they did work. However, I had problems with foot comfort on the side of the strap where the release mechanism was. It created too much of a hard point that rubbed on the side of my foot. I experimented with different additional padding and that seemed to help.

The last I heard about these straps was that the guy who invented and produced them sold the rights to the straps to Chinook Windsurfing. If this is so then obviously Chinook never did anything more with them that I know about but I sure wish they or others would. I think the basic concept is good and certainly can be improved upon.

Chuck

FootSaver5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.34 KB
 Viewed:  18922 Time(s)

FootSaver5.jpg

FootSaver2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  334.4 KB

FootSaver2.jpg

FootSaver3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  433.42 KB

FootSaver3.jpg

FootSaver 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  421.35 KB

FootSaver 1.jpg

jc_surfsail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The footsaver design looks a lot like this patent that Dan found.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5378181

I found a couple old rec. windsurfing threads talking about them and the fact that they seemed to work good but chinook did nothing with it.

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.windsurfing/Footsaver_3524.html

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.windsurfing/ReleaseType_Footstraps_Any_Hope_3942.html
jc_surfsail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos showing how it releases

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/sets/72157600198794482/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good posts everyone! So much valuable info.

I'd be willing to pay at least $150 for a set. How about the rest of you? Normal set runs about $80+-. If we could get 50 orders that would be $7500. I'm sure a Chinese manufacturer (OR AMERICAN) would do something like this as a test run.

I'd buy 2 of those today. Maybe even produce the plastic parts on CAD or 3D printer? Don't know enough about that stuff, but possibly a loft on Maui would sew some proto types?

CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER BROKEN ANKLE. Wink
jc_surfsail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mail Chinook yesterday:

Hi,
I am curious about a windsurfing safety foot strap design (foot saver) that
I think Chinook purchased the patent on back a long time ago.

Any chance you guys would develop a new version of this safety strap???

Might not be a big money maker but there are many sailors who appreciate fewer foot, ankle, and knee injuries.

I actually got a quick reply:

Thanks for the comment...Right now we don’t have any plans to re-introduce the strap. Too many variables with it releasing at the wrong time.

It's on the back burner.

Thanks for contacting us though!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the big thing working against a releasable footstrap is the potential liability that a company might face if the product releases at the wrong time and someone gets hurt or dies.
reoggy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety foot strap Reply with quote

jc_surfsail wrote:
So 1962 called and wants its footstrap design back.
How many windsurfing friends do you know who have busted a foot or ankle when their foot got stuck in the strap?
Check this video of Kauli’s recent fun @ chopes, bet he wishes his strap released.

http://vimeo.com/109660700

Check this photo of Robby Swift’s foot, I think he has done this like 5 times.

Every aspect of windsurfing gear has evolved except the straps, it’s not rocket science!!
Anybody know someone at Dakine who can brainstorm one afternoon and come up with ANYTHING?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking something like an extra pad attached to the regular pads that would stick up high enough to block your foot from jamming into the foot straps too deep. Possibly foot shaped to match the pattern of your big toe all the way to your small toe. The back of surf boards often have a heel bump. This would be a toe bump shaped like the front of a foot instead of a heel.

Maybe even a pocket of some sort that would stop your foot from jamming too deep into the straps. DAKINE, ARE YOU OUT THERE?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I was thinking something like an extra pad attached to the regular pads that would stick up high enough to block your foot from jamming into the foot straps too deep. Possibly foot shaped to match the pattern of your big toe all the way to your small toe. The back of surf boards often have a heel bump. This would be a toe bump shaped like the front of a foot instead of a heel.

Maybe even a pocket of some sort that would stop your foot from jamming too deep into the straps. DAKINE, ARE YOU OUT THERE?

I've bought and/or fabricated both of those anti-jam devices and most of my boards have had heel ramps for decades. It takes maybe a minute to install each peel'n'stick block and ramp in front of each front strap and behind each back foot position, respectively, and they work very well.

The front anti-jammers are especially easy. Just cut a piece of peel'n'stick deck pad about 1/2" wide and 3" or 4" long, position it to fit beneath the natural arch of your five toes where you want your feet, and peel and stick it. Now you can grab it with your toes for retention, or relax your toes in a crash and let the feet slip out. Even if you don't grab the block, it lets you know if your feet are too far in. You could place a bigger block in FRONT of your toes, but that may make your toe nails and joints sore after a while. For booties, the latter block would be the ticket. A toe RAMP would probably prevent easy bailouts.

Two ways to install heel ramps (GREAT when driving upwind in rough water) are beneath or on top of your existing pads. Beneath, you just slice the backs of your pads appropriately, lift them up just enough to admit the wedges you buy from NSI, glue everything back down, and they look OEM. On top, just buy the segmented DaKine or NSI pad kits I've discussed often and slap 'em on for both extra heel padding and the heel ramp. Don't need no 100 custom factory orders; all this stuff is already on the shelves.

Run a tiny bead of clear, non-yelowing adhesive/sealant (Welder's Adhesive in the RED tube is by far my favorite; it takes literally seconds to apply a long, tiny bead right out of the tube. The white-tubed version yellows) around the pads' edges for a permanent, non-lifting result.

One accessory mfr used to make a total, contoured, velvety soft, downright sensuous footbed; looked and felt like your own footprint after some usage. I wish I had bought a crate of them. It was like slipping your foot into a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: