myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined boom head needs maintenance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Streamlined boom head needs maintenance Reply with quote

My old Streamlined boom head is creaking like crazy (so much so I am afraid to jump it high) and the straps loosen themselves after 1 or 2 sessions. So I could replace the rubbers and the straps and the clips for around $60, or I could buy a whole new head for $140 that has the easy adjust rope system. Anyone used the new system and is it worth the extra cash vs just replacing the worn bits?
waitinSD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your straps are stretched-out and need to be replaced, among other problems. This season I replaced my old Streamlined boom heads with the new ones. Huge difference in terms of ease of adjusting tightness on mast. One of the new one’s lever broke. Streamlined replaced it (the boom head) and good so-far. Apparently there was a design glitch that has hopefully been corrected. Overall, the new ones are the best boom head I’ve owned and would recommend highly. If you want to p.m. me I may have a suggestion on where to buy it.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new head is awesome and a big improvement from the older strap system. I think they Dyneema rope has a bit more stretch than the old straps, and so the head actually has more tolerance for staying tight on the mast... it just doesn't have to be adjusted perfectly to start tight and stay tight. I've been using the head since May, and I don't think I've adjusted it once nor had hit slip, and I've been using it on 370 and 400 masts with slightly different diameters.

I have them in stock if you or anybody else is interested.

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1513&category_id=19

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing better than this:

http://www.mauisails.com/boom.php?id=46
Had both streamline and Maui Sails boom heads - just no comparison, at least with the old streamline heads.

Last edited by techno900 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Maui Sails Boom Head is also excellent

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&category_id=24&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=169

Comparing the two comes down to personal choice. I like the stiffness and low profile of the Streamlined head. I used to bang my forearms on the corners of the MS head when doing overhand to overhand crossovers on my jibe flip and sometimes when doing the hand change for a spock or vulcan.

For RDM masts, which I think capetonian uses, the Streamlined RDM specific head is really nice as there are no shims to use or lose.

I actually find for rigging double luff race sails, I prefer the MS head as it stays on the mast without any rope tension when you have a sail whose boom cutout is trying to push the boom off the mast before it's fully downhauled.

The new Streamlined heads adjust easily, and I find they don't really need to be re-adjusted... same with the Maui Sails head. Both are very stiff feeling and grip the mast well without sliding down on hard landings.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread follow up - I bought the new streamlined head from Kevin. He answered a bunch of questions for me, and when I finally decided to buy it he shipped it the same day. Can't beat that kind of service.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
For RDM masts, which I think capetonian uses, the Streamlined RDM specific head is really nice as there are no shims to use or lose.

Very good point. The Maui Sails boom head was clearly designed for racing sails and SDM masts. The shim seems to be added as an afterthought, with very little attention paid to it. It is the heaviest shim I know, adding a lot of weight to the boom. When using the MS shim near the end of the cutout, the big pieces can snag the sail. Other boom brands, including Chinook and Aeron, have much smaller, easier to use shims that work perfectly well.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I will agree that the Maui Sails boom head was designed to fit SDMs, I don't believe that the shim was an afterthought. When I bought my MS boom in early 2007, and it came standard with the shim as part of the package. Also, it should be remembered that many other booms on the market are similarly designed for SDMs, and they also require a shim when used with RDMs. My No Limitz mast came standard with their own shim, so you know that MS is not alone in the market in their boom head design.

It is important to note that the MS shim is notably longer than other shims being manufactured, and that its longer length was designed in parallel with the boom head to provide a more secure bearing surface to prevent slipping once attached. In addition, its very light attachment tension requirement was designed to significantly lessen the potential for crushing the mast when used with SDMs. No other boom that I've ever owned comes close to being so easily attached without any slippage.

Lastly, with regard to the weight of the MS shim, the fact that it's larger does make it weigh a bit more. However, the extra weight is insignificant. I mean, what's the actual weight difference? If you use a boom bra, you've probably exceeded the difference in weight between other shims. Also, the shim adds weight to the mast and not the boom. By using anything other than a 100% carbon mast, you're adding far more weight to your overall rig. Moreover, by using an RDM versus an SDM, the extra weight of the former is significant.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
While I will agree that the Maui Sails boom head was designed to fit SDMs, I don't believe that the shim was an afterthought.

I haven't used a mast shim in over 15 years, the thought of buying a boom/boom head that required one would never cross my mind. I only sail wave gear so I don't have to but all I can remember is what a hassle yet one more part was, not to mention how a potentially great session was ruined because I forgot or lost the f'in thing.
I use Steamlined booms, I actually think the heads are easier and faster to rig then my old Chinook or HPL booms, but that's just me. Most of the booms and boom heads made within the last couple of years are good its all boils down to what you like, there is no one size fits all.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet when I try to sell Streamlined heads at Gorge swap meets, the only inquiries are "What the heck is that?".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: