myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Money in politics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Money in politics Reply with quote

From an Evan Osnos article in the current (October 13, 2014) New Yorker. The Republican majority in the Supreme Court struck down limits on campaign contributions in 2010. 5-4 vote. Since that time

Quote:
Between 2008 and 2012, campaign spending shot up by nearly two billion dollars....In 2012, super PAC's spent a billion dollars; seventy three percent of that money came from 100 people.

No doubt the Koch's are two of those 100.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure something else happened in 2008 that dramatically changed the financing of campaigns. Hmmmm.........let me think......oh, I know! Barack Obama reneged on his promise to take public financing of his campaign. That couldn't have anything to do with the huge increase since 2008 could it?

"Early in his campaign, the Illinois senator pledged to take public funds if his Republican rival did as well – candidates who accept public financing cannot raise money from donors. However, after his campaign raised a record £133 million during the primary season, it is confident of raising much more than the £42 million that would be available through public financing between September and polling on Nov 4. But the broken promise risks sullying the image he has tried to project as a candidate who will change the money-tainted ways of Washington. Mr Obama would be the first candidate to forgo public money since Congress passed post-Watergate campaign finance laws in the 1970s."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/2158703/Barack-Obama-to-refuse-public-financing-for-presidential-White-House-campaign.html
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How predictable.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oct 13, 2014

Senate Democrats Edge Out Republicans in September Fundraising

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/10/13/senate-democrats-edge-out-republicans-in-september-fundraising/

Just sayin'
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you actually want facts, look at page 14 of this report: http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42042.pdf

Mostly right wing groups. But in the alternative universe, it is all Obama's fault and Democrats are just as bad. Nobody from the right, since they benefit from PAC's and dark-money spending, is willing to suggest any reforms.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question needs to be asked whether the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee and the Republican Senate Campaign Committee are truly representative of the big picture of campaign contributions.

I think the WSJ article that is more about presenting a skewed view of things. Also, one wonders why they didn't wait another two more days on the article when updated results are in.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
How predictable.

Mac, it is sad that you still support a guy who's lied over and over. He still would have been elected without that money IMO. There should be a movement from both political parties to use only public money in the presidential elections. We should demand it.

Had Obama done this, I might have even voted for him. A natural born leader takes chances, and leads. He does neither.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--I too am disappointed that Obama took money. It must mean he is not the savior. But money has been corrupting politics since before Obama ran, and will after he is long gone. It remains the 5 Republican justices that opened the floodgates. But I guess you guys don't want to hear about any problems that you cannot blame on Obama not being the savior.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, let me ask you, particularly as a more wealthy guy with tons of tax savings options available to you, would you ignore them and pay more than you might?
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you guys. Politics. Golly jeepers do ya think money is a problem? Citizens united. We as a country suck (now). Our politicians suck. Our supreme court sucks. Even John McCain said it's the "worst decision ever". We need to evolve and grow some balls.

BTW, ebola is obamas fault? More good news. United we stand, but I love you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: