myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail recommends longer mast than the luff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what Dan said I feel is correct.

for the sail in question, the use of a 430 or 460 is not going to create much difference, assuming that the mast bend curve is in the ball park on either

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stiffness number can be confusing.
MCS is real stiffness numbers.
IMCS is Indexed Mast Check System. The theory behind it is that a 430/21 is the same stiffness as the 460/25. The different number is caused by indexing the mast stiffness number for different lengths.

Without the index applied, the two masts above would both have a MCS number of 25.

Why do this? Take a stick that is a little bendy and saw it in half. You will find the two short pieces much harder to bend, if at all.
The halves and the whole would still have exactly the same stiffness, of course. Cutting it would not change the stiffness, just the length.
in the older MCS system the two pieces would have the same stiffness number as the larger piece , but be harder to bend.
The index MCS adjusts the stiffness number according to length.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are a beginner or early intermediate sailor. Is that accurate? If so the shop was probably doing you a favor by setting you up with a slightly bendier mast than you'd want if you regularly sail full powered, ripping in the footstraps.

I recommend setting your base extension to zero, shortening the top as much as possible, rigging the sail, and posting a photo of it here. There's a decent chance you will benefit from some tuning tips, and if the mast is overly soft that should be apparent.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
the stiffness number can be confusing.
MCS is real stiffness numbers.
IMCS is Indexed Mast Check System. The theory behind it is that a 430/21 is the same stiffness as the 460/25. The different number is caused by indexing the mast stiffness number for different lengths.

Without the index applied, the two masts above would both have a MCS number of 25.

Why do this? Take a stick that is a little bendy and saw it in half. You will find the two short pieces much harder to bend, if at all.
The halves and the whole would still have exactly the same stiffness, of course. Cutting it would not change the stiffness, just the length.
in the older MCS system the two pieces would have the same stiffness number as the larger piece , but be harder to bend.
The index MCS adjusts the stiffness number according to length.

all correct here. the MCS numbers are more how the mast reacts when under a load, AND gives you a numeric between the stiffness of the TOP and LOWER sections. so you interpret if its a stiff top or flex/soft top or inbetween.

In this instance , the poster may be encountering more than he desires right now, and the length issue is the only issue.

some of the numbers on a mast tell no more than a tire size of 16", which says it fits a 16" rim......no other characteristics

bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sail was likely a part of a beginner board/rig package. HiFly builds boards, they don't build sails, but they do sell beginner packages. HiFly has their own mast base system and typically the beginner packages come with a fixed length base that as no extension. Therefore, the only adjustment with HiFly's standard package is by adjusting the length of the head cap. So the standard mast with the HiFly package is a 460 mast and you just adjust the head cap down to the right length. The dealer likely sold you an upgraded mast (higher carbon content than the HiFly package mast which would have been 0% carbon and a shorter 430cm mast) to cut down on weight and make the rig easier to handle. We used to do that all the time.

You should run the sail with the head cap tightened up all the way so no mast sticks out of the top of the sail and then adjust your mast base length so you can get the correct downhaul setting.

sm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HFly AFAIK is gone. The last boards 2006... ? here in the USA.

THey did NOT have a unique mast base, the board shown is probably from the '99s which like those of that era did.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if one has a base extension as near to zero as possible, then one would have, on paper, about 15 cm of extra mast showing at the top. are we all making more of this than required?

15cm is what in inches? just under 6 inches.

a 460 mast on the east coast usa is still pretty useful. i would have sold the sail with one.

i don't recall this brand having much to offer in sails that was ever targeted for much beyond part timers, intermediates or higher move on to something else.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
if one has a base extension as near to zero as possible, then one would have, on paper, about 15 cm of extra mast showing at the top. are we all making more of this than required?

15cm is what in inches? just under 6 inches.

if one zero's out the top strap, one would an extra 6 inches of mast at the bottom? i don't like sailing that way.

i don't recall this brand having much to offer in sails that was ever targeted for much beyond part timers, intermediates or higher move on to something else.

all correct from MY POV, esp the :are we all making more of this than required?

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is running a 430cm mast on a sail that calls for 447cm luff. He should not have any mast sticking out the top of his sail. He should shorten the head cap as tight as possible and base extend 17cm (give or take).

sm
aleko.petkov

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments. I have learned a lot.

I am indeed an early intermediate sailor. This is my first, and so far only sail.

This weekend I shortened the top strap to basically zero, reduced the extension to 18cm, and tried it out. Seems to fit fine. I can't say I noticed much difference in handling, but maybe it was because there wasn't much wind. Attached are some photos.

As for the mast, it's a Chinook, but there isn't any other writing to indicate carbon content or stiffness. Since it's not the same mast that comes with the package (that one is 460), I can only guess what it is.

20141019_181944.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  431.16 KB
 Viewed:  18111 Time(s)

20141019_181944.jpg

20141019_181921.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  447.9 KB

20141019_181921.jpg

20141019_181913.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  407.41 KB

20141019_181913.jpg

20141019_181901.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  412.07 KB

20141019_181901.jpg

20141019_181852.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  434.46 KB

20141019_181852.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: