myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Special time of the season here in the Gorge..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Special time of the season here in the Gorge.. Reply with quote

Love the fall sailing. Nobody around, beautiful light with the sun low and the clouds. I've especially enjoyed Roosevelt/Arlington lately with some excellent swell and still warm water and maybe 6 on the water at one time. A couple of days ago I sailed my whole first sesh..4.2 meter sail..without another car even in the Roosevelt park. Then heading west back to Lyle-Land I had a spectacular light show with clouds and sun playing tag behind my sun visor.

Went to Swell at 2:30 last week, sailed with about 4 others all locals...Love it this time of year, it's really quite a privilege to be able to live and sail in the Gorge..
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The awesome beauty is spectacular as the shadows grow longer. Today, for example, was amazing between Swell and the Hatch in the afternoon. Very few windsurfers out (the sport is obviously dwindling; this would not have happened 10 years ago with the kind of wind we had today) and a handful of Al Kite-A. There were even some militant terrorists launching from Ego Point at the Hatch. The water eventually smoothed out nicely late afternoon. The only buzz-kill was one BAFer hot-head windsurfer at Swell-zone who apparently just didn't like that I snagged and surfed "his" fat ramp WELL before he arrived and so felt the need to yell at me AND sail underneath me about 4' with tons of space everywhere. Totally unnecessary, rude, dangerous, and very stupid. Come on, people! One question: WHY? Oh well. I got an additional hour of fatness out there after he cleared out anyway. Such a spectacular afternoon, no WAY was I gonna let anybody ruin it with a bad attitude.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree about the fall scene here, but have a specific question regarding the low, southerly PM sun: it blinds me in the jibes. I'm lookin' at a 4.x square meter mirror full of sun mid-jibe, and can't see the surface or where I am in the jibe. Other, far better sailors have mentioned the same issue. Common?
dhanson928

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I totally agree about the fall scene here, but have a specific question regarding the low, southerly PM sun: it blinds me in the jibes. I'm lookin' at a 4.x square meter mirror full of sun mid-jibe, and can't see the surface or where I am in the jibe. Other, far better sailors have mentioned the same issue. Common?

It is harder to see the best jibe spot coming during the final part of a reach. I just use my best guess and then as I turn off the wind I adjust my line to use any better 'topography' I happen to encounter.

Spring sailing is very similar but usually much more intense. The water is in the 40s, the wind is often much stronger. Heading towards Oregon shore, especially if you happen to get an early morning session, it is like sailing into stainless steel...I hit a ~3 meter day at Arlington last Mar. with blowing smoke at like 9:30am...Nice warm up for the season...ha. not so much at first, but after a few reaches, it comes back...

It is like two different rivers in those situations. When you jibe and have the sun at your back, the water looks nice and benign and all lit up...when you head back south, it turns Gnarly looking..fun stuff.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....Beautiful day at Dougs on Wend. afternoon, got there at 1:30 with one person on the water, the wind picked up and I sailed a powered up 4.8 until 4:00 with only four other people. Awsome...traveled up to the bottom of Rowena but couldn't see anyone out there. So in the entire Rowena Corridor yesterday there were 4 to 5 people out in perfect fall conditions.

KMF
starfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit talking about it. It will cause more people to move here. Ha! This is the best time of the year. Monday afternoon at Rowena was great. One day its 4.7 and the next its glass water. Hoping to wakeboard after work today
And of course the mt biking is getting better. But most people are not lucky to live here. We are busting are asses to live here. Worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: