myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
EBOLA IN THE USA
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: EBOLA IN THE USA Reply with quote

EBOLA IN THE USA? Here it is. Most of the major conservative talk show hosts have been demanding that we shut our borders to Ebola countries until they get control of the epidemic.

I am all for our military assisting with the epidemic in foreign countries. It is good practice for the possibility of bio warfare. However, our leaders are out of their mind in leaving our borders open.

I am not particularly worried about the disease spreading rapidly, however if it were to go airborne millions could lose their lives. This disease is not to be messed with. Half who get it die a gruesome death.

Is there a harmonic chorus between the left and right on this subject? Are you on the left waiting to see what Obama says until you make up your minds?
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really fixated on "closing the borders". Does this mean that no one comes into the country period?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
You are really fixated on "closing the borders". Does this mean that no one comes into the country period?

No, I've never said that, but even our forefathers knew to quarantine new arrivals at Ellis Island. At this point anyone can come here and stay without fear of being removed.

This guy just showed up and is not a citizen. He should not have been allowed into our country without a blood test or quarantine.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, if you are going to talk about Ebola and the threat that it represents, you should get your facts straight. Ebola is not an airborne threat. The risk of transmission is through contact with bodily fluids. Although Ebola is a terrible and potentially deadly virus, in a first world country like the US, it does not represent the same kind of threat as what we've witnessed in Africa.

It's interesting that a person like you that wants the government and regulations out of our lives is looking to the government for protection. You might want to think more about how the EPA and the Department of Health and Human Services, and the regulations that they issue and enforce, focuses on ensuring a clean and healthy environment.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

No, I've never said that, but even our forefathers knew to quarantine new arrivals at Ellis Island. At this point anyone can come here and stay without fear of being removed.

This guy just showed up and is not a citizen. He should not have been allowed into our country without a blood test or quarantine.

I thought you came from the camp of "LESS GOVERNMENT REGULATION, LESS GOVERNMENT INTRUSION."

And yet, here you are whining for more.

Which is it -- less or more?

Do you really want to use YOUR taxpayer dollars to test the blood and quarantine every non-citizen entering the US? How about citizens, maybe your family, who traveled outside the US? After all, they might have picked up some pathogen while on safari in Africa.

Should we defund the CDC?

CDC: First Case of Ebola Diagnosed in U.S.

Source

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed the first case of Ebola diagnosed in the U.S. A critically ill man being treated in isolation in a Dallas, Texas hospital has tested positive for the virus. “An individual traveling from Liberia has been diagnosed with Ebola in the United States,” CDC Director Thomas Frieden told reporters during a press briefing today (September 30).

The patient left Liberia on September 19, arrived in the U.S. to visit family on September 20, and developed symptoms on September 26. On September 28, he was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, and was isolated. Health officials are now contacting anyone who may have come into contact with the patient while he was infectious, Frieden added.

“We will control this importation [case] of Ebola so that it does not spread,” Frieden said. “There is no doubt in my mind that we will stop it here.”

“We are closely monitoring the situation and are ready to assist in any way that’s needed,” David Lakey of the Texas Department of State Health Services said during today’s press briefing.

Earlier this week, Dallas County Health Director Zachary Thompson assured local residents that they are not at risk of contracting the deadly virus that has to date killed more than 3,000 people as part of an ongoing outbreak in West Africa. “Unless you have exchanged bodily fluids with this individual this is a low risk for people in Dallas County,” he said. “We have a great infrastructure to deal with an outbreak,” Thompson added.

uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:

No, I've never said that...

Which did you not say? That you are not fixated on "closing the borders"?

Here are a few of your statements regarding that subject:

- That's right Poinster. So my plan is to turn anyone from the middle east back until we have control of our borders. (unless they are already a citizen, or permanent resident WITH A REAL JOB AND REFERENCES) We are out of our mind to let anyone into this country until we know who is already here. It is time that we make everyone who is here illegally register with our country. Anyone illegally here less than 5 years, bye bye. (with a few exceptions)

We've killed hundreds of thousands of people, so that we don't appear to be prejudiced. That is insanity. Stop the wars, close the borders. Manufacture more goods here if need be.

- We would not have the need to have the NSA spying on Americans if we had Israeli type border controls.

- A commander in chief has to do the right thing regardless of polls. I thought Bush would be smart and close the borders after 911. How foolish of me. Instead we've spent $ Trillions and killed hundreds of thousands, and destabilized the mid east.

Maybe it's time to shut our borders to middle easterners and N Africans. Pull our troops in and hold our noses. Now what do we get?

NSA up our asses
Nut check at the airport
Paranoia about another attack and more personal freedoms lost
War mongering media and both sides of congress beating the drums of war

You on the left should be ashamed of political correctness. It's killed hundreds of thousands of people. Bush was the leader of paranoia instead of doing the politically incorrect thing. Obama just made it worse by setting the entire mid east on fire. A true conservative would have said he was sorry and shut the borders down until we got a handle on who was here and why. (Full background checks on them not us)

- You'd think Bush and Obama would fight a bloodless war. In 2001, we should have closed our borders. Of course you let some vetted people in. But we've been chasing down the concept of a few militia members in pickup trucks rather than foreigners who can operate under the radar.

We snoop on every American citizen.
We scoff at Patriotic Tea Partiers
We saddle small companies with amazing red tape.

BUT WE DON'T MANAGE OUR BORDERS. Rolling Eyes

- Close the borders
Incentivize small business
Teach like it were 1960, only with current technology
Stop the drug war, but go after stoned driving and such
Lower the corporate tax rate, and incentivize companies to repatriate their money.
Shut down the department of energy, education, and slim down the epa. Let the states act more efficiently.
End Obama care.
Reignite the Judeo Christian ethic.
Cut welfare in half, or make it mandatory to work part time.
Stop the silly term racist. Make all races equal by pushing jobs instead of welfare.
Make the oligarchs pay through anti trust suits, and fairer competition by limiting regulations on small business.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cue Dan Hicks, "I scare myself."

and, to be sure, it is Obama's fault. The whacky paranoids are amusing, if inconsistent.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Cue Dan Hicks, "I scare myself."

and, to be sure, it is Obama's fault. The whacky paranoids are amusing, if inconsistent.

Would your list of "whacky paranoids" include Chris Matthews?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Matthews vs. Ezekiel Emanuel on Ebola: "Obama Said It Was Unlikely. It Has Happened. It's Here"
Posted on September 30, 2014

On MSNBC's Hardball tonight, host Chris Matthews tussled with Obamacare architect Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel over the how serious a threat Ebola is to Americans. Matthews and Emanuel also spar over President Obama saying it was "unlikely" that an Ebola case would strike the U.S.

"Obama said it was unlikely. It has happened. It's here," Matthews said.

Dr. Emanuel said there is some "fear mongering" going on here, but Matthews said he was just quoting the president and stating facts. Here's a bit of the argument that lasted nearly ten minutes:

CHRIS MATTHEWS: I'm just trying to follow the logic here. Everybody's being told, don't worry unless they have the infectious symptoms, you can see them, that you don't have to worry about catching them. Yet, this guy picked up the disease apparently from somebody who did not have the infectious symptoms.

DR. EZEKIEL EMANUEL: Again, don't hypothesize because we just don't know. We have no idea what he did or didn't do and how he got it. I'm sure that's going to be vital information to try to understand the transmission, but the idea that there's going to be a widespread outbreak here, I think is just, again, it's a bit of fear mongering. We have a single case. This is not a big, widespread --

MATTHEWS: Yeah, yeah, but I'm just going back to the president's statement, doctor, and that is that the president said it would be unlikely if we had a case in this country. Unlikely to even have one case. You want to see the tape again?

EMANUEL: He said there wouldn't be an Ebola outbreak.

MATTHEWS: No, and in the second part of his sentence he said in the unlikely case someone brings it here. In the unlikely case someone brings it here. Well, they've done it. We're living in the world of the unlikely already. That's all I'm saying. I'm not fear mongering. I'm stating the facts and I wonder if everybody else is.

###

EMANUEL: The reason we can be assured here that this isn't going to be a major outbreak is we have a CDC that can do very good contact tracing. We have a very good health system that takes universal precautions on all patients, with the gloves. And you're not regularly in contact with people's bodily fluids the way it is much more common in Liberia. I think those things distinguish it. And I don't think we should get into a panic because we were reassured it would never be in the United States.

MATTHEWS: No, the president said it was unlikely two weeks ago. Well, it's not the unlikely, it has happened. It's here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What I find whacky is why would Matthews take anything BHO says seriously anymore? Few do now days.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on cue, NW turns up the volume on Obama hate and paranoia. Ignoring this comment in the article he posts:

Quote:
The reason we can be assured here that this isn't going to be a major outbreak is we have a CDC that can do very good contact tracing. We have a very good health system that takes universal precautions on all patients, with the gloves. And you're not regularly in contact with people's bodily fluids the way it is much more common in Liberia.

The Center for Disease Control has identified 5 risks to the US health system:

1. Antibiotic resistance
2. Prescription drug abuse
3. Global health security
4. HPV
5. Polio

Drug abuse may kill as many as 200,000 people a year, half from legal drugs. But folks like NW only worry about what they can try to blame on Obama. The economic model for dealing with infectious diseases is identified as seriously flawed--it relies mostly on the market. Because there is too little Federal investment, and oversight, antibiotics are overused and there is too little short-term profit to stimulate private sector research on new antibiotics.

And to create an irony that will never be discussed on Fox or talk radio, the opposition of conservatives in the United States and other countries has crippled efforts to control HPV and polio.

As Pogo says, we have seen the enemy and it is us. But some still blame it all on Obama--demonstrating that they don't even read the articles that they hate on him with.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac, who's on cue with playing the hate card again, you're faster than Brett Maverick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: