myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Recent car break-ins at TI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hahn2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Recent car break-ins at TI Reply with quote

I sailed TI Saturday (4.7/95L) and one of the other sailors' cars was broken into. Only thing taken was his cell phone and wallet. I heard from others there that this type of break-in has been happening there recently. Maybe this is common knowledge but I haven't been for a while and had no idea.
I have always left my valuables in my shorts on the floor below the steering wheel and now realize that this is a foolish practice. As long as we provide easy pickins, it will encourage more break-ins.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Recent car break-ins at TI Reply with quote

hahn2 wrote:
I have always left my valuables in my shorts ...

Don't we all ... all the time? Very Happy

Back on topic ... When I park and sail in a vulnerable place in a vehicle without a serious lockbox (e.g., a rental), I carry only a credit card and a $20 bill -- no wallet -- and hide them very well before I even leave home. If I'm especially concerned, I take a decoy wallet packed with a few bucks and several fake credit cards. I even installed a cheap alarm on a rental car for a monthlong trip to Maui.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, where do you keep your 357 Magnum?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on Maui.
ethurlow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I hid my keys at TI I think a dog pooped on them and then scratched the dirt, my keys went flying and it took a while to find them. Another person found them and got them to me. Thanks for picking them up!

Ernie
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ernie,

I don't think so.
Dogs are not allowed to poop on Treasure or Sherman Island.

Had to be a dingo.
lblaney

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: TI car break ins Reply with quote

Over Labor Day weekend one of the guards came by and warned us about break ins. They had 3 in as many days. He said they are breaking out windows and taking their time tossing the car, so you better have a good hiding place for your keys, wallet and phone. Of course the further away you are from the occupied units, the greater the likelihood of a break in is. This past weekend though, the car that was hit was right next to mine, and we were directly across the street from the occupied units.
radross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - Some of the TI regulars have alerted both the private security guards that patrol the area, PPS Security, and our TIDA contact of the recent rash of "smash-and-grab" break-ins. The PPS Security hired by TIDA to patrol the residences and parking areas (these are the guys that dress like cops - not to be confused with McCoy Security in the white pick-up trucks who are the Navy's contractor's security) have told us they are increasing their patrol of Northgate to 6 vehicle passes and 4 foot patrols daily. We have tried to get them to do this between 3 and 6 p.m. The contact is Pelton Steward.

The TIDA contact also is following-up with the SFPD to get them to increase their patrols. He is also going to ask the grounds-crew on the island to also clean up the mess behind the recently vacated units in the area where we rig.

In addition to the obvious of "hiding" your valuables, and keeping your eyes open, may want to limit your visibility of malted beverages and, unfortunately, sharing with the locals as these events seemed to have closely followed some friendly happy windsurfers sharing with a hanger-out dude a few weeks ago.

And some good news: according to the TIDA contact, the demolition and scraping of the units on Bayside will start next week. This will be followed by the units on Northgate in mid-October/early November. After some excavation work, TIDA and the Navy plan on laying sod. By next spring there should be grass to rig on immediately next to where we are currently parking and a direct walk to the ramp . Unclear if the perimeter fence will be there, but the windsurfers and windsurfer parking/rigging/water access are on TIDA's radar. Like to think that our good-visitor behavior is responsible. Keep up the good work!

Ross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: