myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Out of control at Rowena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got flippered off by a seal the other day. Jerk thinks he owns the bay.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Bond1 wrote:
But only at the edges of the river, not in the middle.

Folks playing on the swell very often slash 90 to 180 degrees ANYWHERE, very often, and far too spontaneously to predict. It's very smart not to follow them in their lee.

Yes, but there seem to be plenty of sailors left over or just beginning who do that. Maybe it's more common in other sailing areas, to have these "drag races" where someone will try to come up 'underneath' another sailor, pointing higher and trying to 'out sail' them in a straight reach at high speeds...

I've encountered that on lighter wind days...where I'll be sailing along, pointing a bit to re-gain some ground to be able to catch a few marginal swells and I look behind and below, maybe to make a jibe...there is someone, in a wide open river, right on my 'hip' trying to 'beat' me...

When there is lots of room it's a bit odd to snuggle up to another sailor, to sail close on purpose...but it happens a lot, especially on holiday weekends
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys are usually on directionally "stiff" (as opposed to loose) boards with big blade fins, are often unskilled at maneuvering at speed, and often (NOT always) aren't as fast as they think they are.

1. Most of the less maneuverable ones catch on to the error of their ways the second or third time their heart leaps into their throat as the guy they're chasing pulls a full-speed 90-degree OTL or even a full U-ie into a clew-first blast directly into their flight path. They think they're gonna die, not realizing that you looked first (that time), scoped and planned the maneuver (that time) to ensure everyone's safety, and will swerve away a second later so that even if the tailgater freezes or turns unexpectedly, there's still no risk (that time). The astute ones won't tailgate next time.

2. The ones who aren't as fast as they thought are easier to train. Ya just drop the hammer, accelerate away from them, then if necessary revert to #1.

3. The ones who ARE fast are also easy to avoid. Slow down slightly (e.g., lift the hammer a bit, swerve upwind), let 'em think they won the race, then slash or jibe behind them into the open water behind and below him. He's just another obstacle, so anything that puts him and you out of harm's way is fine.

Those are just a few ways to regain one's safety and freedom when confronted by cheechakos.

Another, of course, is to make sure you're not the cheechako. Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are one bad dude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: