myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner's spots in Northern California
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beach by East Bay Bridge Toll Plaza. Last exit before toll booth on westbound, hard right after exit and follow the road for 1/2 mi. Quite shallow and warm water. Many days, the wind gets going there better than Berkeley near Cal Sailing Club / Cal Adventure. Kiters learn and launch from there often.
chand2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Go To SHORELINE LAKE IN MOUNTAIN VIEW Reply with quote

Shoreline Lake is near Shoreline Amphitheature in Mountain View. The lake is totally enclosed in a golf course. It has mild winds, but, sometimes gets windier. A lot of bay sailors learned at Shoreline. There are no currents and no chop. You don't need to worry about anyone getting swept downwind.

A lot of us learned to waterstart there and then moved on out to the bay.
http://www.shorelinelake.com/
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoreline Lake in Mountain View is hand down the easiest place to learn. ZERO chop and consistent morning light wind make a huge difference for beginners of all ages. Don't forget to tie a 100 - 150 feet line to the board. It makes teaching much easier.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: San Luis Res Oneil forebay or Shoreline in Mountain View Reply with quote

San Luis Res Oneil forebay or Shoreline in Mountain View.
Shoreline is easy and always watched . You need a life jacket
to go out there there is a 5 dollar launch fee.(per person)
Almost impossible to get a parking place there on weekends
unless you get there early now.
San Luis is the easiest High Wind place but is also good for low
winds but its a long drive for you . Water Level and Weed conditions
are a factor. 10 dollar entry now if you don't have a season pass.
I have heard Foster City Lagoon is good for entry level but
don't know much about it.
ubaumann

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much!

I'll definitely have to try Rancho Seco. It reminds me of the gravel pits in Southern Germany where I had my first taste of Windsurfing. And the kick of sailing right next to a nuclear power plant... Smile
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful little lake. On weekdays there's hardly anyone out there. The water is warm and clear. Great fishing too. Best of all there are no motor boats allowed.
EDIT
Here's the lake on a weekday
https://vimeo.com/26251858

DAVIBO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: where to teach kids windsurfing Reply with quote

Larkspur is a gentle on shore launch surrounded by land on 3 sides that always has water due to the ferry channel - Larkspur ferry doesn't run that often as to be a problem - when they do you can see them coming for miles, best light on shore wind is in the morning
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alameda. I learned at the cove in Benicia just west of the launch ramp, but you need to go in the morning and stay inside the point or the current will carry you away.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alameda unless you have suitable beginner gear. Having gear rental and instruction at the beach at Boardsports is a huge plus.

Minuses at Alameda: some persistent current, and swell that can be disproportionate to local wind. The swell can be frustrating, but learning to deal with it helped me to develop skills that are useful everywhere when comparable conditions develop. Also water quality near the beach: swimmer's itch from bird poo. Definitely shower at the end of the day.

Bodega (harbor side) is cleaner (except for mucky bottom in some places, sadly including most of the launch) and arguably safer than Alameda (shallow, no persistent current so runaways are rare), but there is no rental gear, and it is only convenient if you already live in the North Bay. A weed fin is essential after maybe mid-June: eel grass.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@noshuz

Love the dog surfing at Rancho Seco. His swim in reminds me of my last session at the Delta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: