myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiteboarding has been cancelled....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Kiters at Horseneck Reply with quote

Yesterday I'm out playing in the waves on a 6.2 outside Horseneck, NOT launching from the state beach. I'm always careful to stay FAR outside the lifeguard tower area, so I'd never accidentally wash in through the swimmers should the wind die.

And there's 4 kiters launching right next to the Westernmost lifeguard tower, cruising out near swimmers, then playing in the wavebreak, just outside the swimmers. What are these guys thinking?? Strings in the water, small children wading. Even if they don't get yelled at, they're taking a chance of a potentially dangerous breakdown in a swimming area and losing any launch privileges. While I support water access in general, as a beach committee member, I continue to politically separate windsurfing from kiting, and try to build alliances with fishermen and surfers.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiters at Horseneck Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
Yesterday I'm out playing in the waves on a 6.2 outside Horseneck, NOT launching from the state beach. I'm always careful to stay FAR outside the lifeguard tower area, so I'd never accidentally wash in through the swimmers should the wind die.

And there's 4 kiters launching right next to the Westernmost lifeguard tower, cruising out near swimmers, then playing in the wavebreak, just outside the swimmers. What are these guys thinking?? Strings in the water, small children wading. Even if they don't get yelled at, they're taking a chance of a potentially dangerous breakdown in a swimming area and losing any launch privileges. While I support water access in general, as a beach committee member, I continue to politically separate windsurfing from kiting, and try to build alliances with fishermen and surfers.

We are trying to figure out who these guys are. They appear to be a couple of brothers that have done the same elsewhere. I can assure you people are not happy and the vast majority of local kiters are great, and respect the local rules and public safety.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl"

I see windsurfers in the swimming area at west Denis almost every windy day.
I see kiters in the wrong spots every day there is wind.

I try to correct these things when I can.

I see access as an issue for all of those who enjoy the beaches and waters.
You can separate the two politically, but until people follow the rules and guidelines in place we will all be seen negatively at times.
jkrug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pic below is from Costa Rica. yes, this is regards turtles, not birds, but the concept is the same. they don't look like kiters...or windsurfers...or mere beach goers enjoying a sunny day at the beach. perhaps the Audubon Society should focus its attentions on the real problems for these endangered species.

TURTS2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.25 KB
 Viewed:  16345 Time(s)

TURTS2.jpg

rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry to hear that there are kiters elsewhere who aren’t so cool. Here in the mid-west, I’m always glad to see the kiters show up, so I don’t have to sail ALONE. Plus, the kiters usually have beers and cook brats in the parking lot after the sessions over, and they always invite me. They’re a great bunch of guys, and they have good beer too!

Collecting turtle eggs to sell is illegal in Costa Rica. The picture of the people collecting turtle eggs? They’re collecting them to take them to a turtle conservatory, where the eggs will be incubated, hatched, and released back to the sea. If they leave them, then poachers will move in, collect the eggs and sell them on the black market to be eaten. There was an article in Outside magazine last year about this very subject. One of the Costa Rican guys who ran the turtle conservatory was murdered by poachers and his 3 american volenteers were kidnapped and held at gunpoint for several hours.

w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrug..the story. on the legal egg take,

http://costaricanconservationnetwork.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/legal-sea-turtle-egg-take-costa-rica/

mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we all agree that poachers are amongst the biggest douche bags on earth????
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlandsea wrote:
"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl"

I see windsurfers in the swimming area at west Denis almost every windy day.
I see kiters in the wrong spots every day there is wind.

I try to correct these things when I can.

I see access as an issue for all of those who enjoy the beaches and waters.
You can separate the two politically, but until people follow the rules and guidelines in place we will all be seen negatively at times.

inlandsea wrote:
The good news is from what I have seen they like to make laws and rules, they often don't bother enforcing them,

Seems like you got your agenda pretty clear......
So, your MO is to suggest to ignore certain rules in some areas and enforce them elsewhere? Great example..... Laughing
donwh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="inlandsea"]"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl"

Sorry, but in this case they do. All it takes is one kiter/sailor to eff it up for the rest of us. In this case, I consider Horseneck my "home beach", although it's sucked for wavesailing this year. Over the past few years, the kiters have arrived. Good for them, but use common sense!! I don't want the State to shut down HN!!
danothemano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Can we all agree that poachers are amongst the biggest douche bags on earth????

An expert? Laughing Laughing

Most of the problem is many Jumpy Castlers are part of the younger self-entitled and spoiled generation...

I'd Love If You Came Over And Gave Me Motes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: