myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wind prediction request for FM Godsey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Mondays are my day off but I received a lot of e-mail saying Claire's forecasts were delayed. Our IT had made some changes to the our publishing system and some west coast and east coast forecasts never made it out to customers. I seems to be fixed now.

Quote:
Mike -- question: What does it mean when you say a site will reach "weak low 20's"?

We have learned that some customers just glance at the tables values, others just look at the colors and yet others like to read the text bullets. So to rather than just repeat the table values in the text we try to use words to describe numbers...always a dubious proposition. So to me "weak low 20's" to me just means the winds is above the upper teens but really does not approach the mid 20's. So in the 20-22 range.

Yea, I know it is ambiguous and I am open to suggestions. But just repeating the table numbers is really redundant.

Incidentally the process of entering all the Forecast Tables variables for time slots, wind direction, low values and high values involves over 200 variables each forecast. This means it is easy to make mistakes. Some of this information is automatically entered but sometimes you will see discrepancies between the table values vs. the text forecast.

When this happens it is best to go with the text forecast since it is much easier to type in 28 when you mean 18 that it is to type upper 20's when you mean upper teens.

Of course there should be no mistakes but when you are operating under a deadline with no one to proof read you mistakes will happen. Hence the redundancy of tables, text and colors.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given a conflict, I find the blue line on the dynamic forecast more accurate than the text forecasts. Even when the line's amplitude is low (and other forecasts give us a heads up on that), its shape and timing are very useful.
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Caution! Geek talk ahead. Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Actually an idea that I hope to get implemented one day is to rather than having the sensors give the average wind and the peak gust and deepest lull to have them give the standard deviation of the wind velocity around the average.

This would be HUGE. Do it. I vote for investing in better real-time data over forecasting.

(I would also invest in adding Current Plots and Pressure Reports to the mobile app.)
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Caution! Geek talk ahead. Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
(I would also invest in adding Current Plots and Pressure Reports to the mobile app.)

They're right there (and virtually instantaneous) on iWAP.
kirk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: SD of wind speed Reply with quote

Hi Mike
I too would love to see the standard deviation of the wind and the peaks and lulls too as throwing away data seems a waste.

Also, what would it take to get accurate peaks and lulls for SFO? Those graphs are often pretty good for what we get outside at Coyote but all it publishes is the occasional peak wind and some sort of average which I believe is from the free info from SFO or NOA.

thanks for making the constant improvements. I remember when I paid $400 for a scanner so I could get the wind reports to pilots landing at SFO from my home and the shore which was a huge improvement over the report every three hours from the weather radio for predicting what might happen at Coyote....

Kirk out

temp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.22 KB
 Viewed:  12791 Time(s)

temp.png

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
allen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistics are nice and a macro that pops up under the windgraphs that allows you to compute the std deviation for a given window of wind would be great but this does not replace local knowledge of your preferred sailing spot.

Take Cabrillo Beach for instance (insert joke). Here the wind on a good day blows from 14 to 24 mph implying an avg of 19 (and a high std deviation) which the Iwindsurf computations pretty much back up. But the avg is not all that meaningful. What really matters is the gust level (duration and velocity) it takes to get on a plane and stay on a plane. For me that means unless the high is 24-25 mph I'm not going to be getting on a plane all that much nor am I going to be going as fast as I'd like to. And when the high reads 20-21 and the low is reported at 15 or 16 (like yesterday)which again implies an avg of 17 or 18 and a low std deviation, well, you're being lied to as Cabrillo is like sailing on gusty inland lake where the low is almost always about half of the peak gust. Thus when the high is 20, the low is most likely 10 or 11 keeping the avg to 15 or so, not the 17 or 18 the iwindsurf meter is reading.

Seal Beach on the other hand, just down the road from Cabrillo, is a different world (steadier, less gusty wind) when it comes to interpreting the numbers. Here, under much tighter wind ranges, say 16-22 with an avg of 18 you're moving much faster and planing more often than you would at Cabrillo with the same readings.

So crunch all the numbers you want but knowing what a meter reading means at a particular beach will tell you more than detailed statistics.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''''''Think about life before iWindsurf, and thank the Heavens it's here! Imagine just driving around to see if it's windy somewhere, especially if you live in the Gorge, or Bay Area! Yikes!

Yep, i remember those days! We had three "wind talkers": @Berkeley, Crissy and Candlestick, if memory serves. And so i would have given up the sport years ago if not for the iW. When my kids were little, i had zero time to drive around SF Bay Area roads looking for wind. And still don't.

For me the forecasts are less about accuracy at a given site then about deciding go/ no go. (though i DO like to see that red on the graph!)
leverich1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard deviation is only going to be informative if the wind is normally distributed. As allen said above, sometimes the mean is meaningless (ha) and things like the lull and gust are more important. Even if the "average" windspeed is 15, that doesn't mean that it ever blows 15; it might only blow 10 and 20. Standard deviation isn't diagnostic for this situation.

You can beat around the bush as much as you like and present computed summary statistics like SD, median, skew, kurtosis, etc., but its always going to throw out a ton of information, or be hamstrung by assumptions about normality.

What I'd like to see rather than SD or any other computed statistic is a histogram of windspeed and direction. A histogram is compact, retains much of the information in the signal, does not depend on any assumptions about the normality of the signal, is visually pleasing, and its easy for your brain to pattern match regular or unusual shapes (i.e. bathtub vs. normal distribution).

Anyway, the trees are swinging back and forth outside, I guess its time to start packing the car. Smile
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question for Mike.
Does iWindsurf feed the results of their sensors back into their computer models? In theory, that should make their predictions get (much) better over time. But it seems like this is NOT the case.

For example, here in San Diego, the models generally predict a weak N/NE wind at Tourmaline in a building Santa Ana pattern. Inevitably , instead we get a very nice 15-20 NNW side shore. I know that the "un-guided" computer models can never predict this as it is a localized event controlled by local geography. However, if the historical sensor readings were fed back into the computer models then a "guided" model should over time be able to predict this.
But I think most people would agree that the accuracy of iWindSurf predictions has remained pretty static for as long as I can remember, so it seems like the simulations are not guided by any feedback mechanism.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iW forecasts have been a very important part of my life: I married a woman named Flow, our son is named Surge and our dog goes by the name Eddy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: