myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay looking for a used board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: SF Bay looking for a used board Reply with quote

Hey guys I am on the look for a new to me board. Looking for something to fit between my 85FSW and the 102FSW. Also have a 74 wave board. These are all 06-07 JP boards. The 102 just feels like a tank and the 85 is getting on the small side for the daily driver. Curious about these multi fin boards. Looking for something 90ish liters and wave oriented.

Thanks, Andy
tomg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is not the place for want ads. There appear to be plenty of boards under the Buy/Sell tab
pacspeed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, I have a Quatro wave 92 I've been on the fence about...at 210 lbs it seems a bit small for my typical day. I'd consider trading it for your 102...thoughts?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've chosen a specific board, the classifieds are a good resource. But the process of narrowing the choices down demands input from people and reviews. I think you're on the right track in terms of volume and vintage, Andy, but that's a mighty small needle to thread, especially via this medium. I have many 80s, 85s, 90s, and 96s, and each volume step is noticeable and is a factor when I'm at the beach dialing in my toys on a given day. Each volume step in that range perceptibly -- not dramatically, but perceptibly -- alters the board's ride, jibing, slogging, etc. When in doubt, I pick the bigger stick because it will get me back better if I choose wrongly.

However, volume is far from the only obvious factor. Second, I'd say, is vintage, or more specifically its effect on width. Your 06-07 JPs precede the shortwide landslide circa 2008/9, but their FSW heritage tends to widen them compared to wave boards of that era. It's easily possible that you could end up with a 90-92L 06 wave board that planes no earlier than your 85 L FSW, and feel you've gained little if any. Or you could pick an 80L shortwide wave board of the same vintage that will beat the holy crap out of you if it smells chop.

And that doesn't even address the effects of multiple fins and hulls designed to work with them; those may change everything far more than 5 or 10 liters would.

Yet another factor is the brand. It matters. JPs, for example, emphasize speed at the expense of user-friendliness, according to sources high in the chain. A different brand or model, all by itself, may reset the volume meter.

My deliberately vague bottom line is that you could be trying to thread that needle with a frayed rope in the dark while wearing gloves. I've done a lot of that (thus my many boards), but it worked because I have easy access to excellent swap meets for buying, trying, and selling with minimal risk. It's simpler, and it's often easier and cheaper, than demoing new boards. Keep up the homework you've begun here, and consider applying your findings at your next local swap meet or consignment shop.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but my 101 liter Exocet feels like my old 90 liter board in terms of jumping and wave riding. The new shorter boards should do it for you. I've always felt that the JP's were tanks compared to Quatro, Exocet, Goya, etcetera. You can get much more range out of the new boards.
89Spring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomg, thanks that was really helpful.

PacSpeed, you got my attention I have always been interested in the Quatro boards. Any more details, is this a single fin? Shoot me a pm with your contact and lets swap boards for a session.

I am really curious to try a multi fin board
Andy
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89Spring wrote:
I am really curious to try a multi fin board
Andy

Realize they vary as much as, say, cars, or women, or food, or movies. Trying one or two says little about the genre.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Just a thought, but my 101 liter Exocet feels like my old 90 liter board in terms of jumping and wave riding. The new shorter boards should do it for you. I've always felt that the JP's were tanks compared to Quatro, Exocet, Goya, etcetera. You can get much more range out of the new boards.

Bard nailed it..I have an 86 Goya One, and a 101 X-Wave..and thats all I need(unless it goes 4.0, then I have a 72 RW). But, the newer boards have much more range than those JP's.
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
But, the newer boards have much more range than those JP's.

But a board with range and versatility doesn't fit into Iso's model of owning as many boards as possible… Why simplify when you can complicate?
aguasonic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Have a Fanatic Freewave 86 for sale -- with bag, with fin, ready-to-go. I believe it's a 2011.

Fast-to-plane, carves in a minute, not too loose { I would say more on the 'free' side than 'wave' }.

Couple minor dings { fixed }, bag is custom-made Airwave.

$550 and it's yours, can meet you at The Sign, or The Herd, either one.

Best,

Mark
~~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: