myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Making a sun shade out of old dacron windsurf sail. How to?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Making a sun shade out of old dacron windsurf sail. How to? Reply with quote

Hello. I would like to hear from anybody who has used a large windsurf sail or sails for providing shade, such as for the west side of a house (which is what I need to do). I live in a windy area from June through August, in the Gorge. It's dry, hot, and sunny for long spells during this time.

I'm interested in easy, "bomber" concepts. NO, I am not going to stitch together multiple sails, etc. Very little manufacturing will be done. This concept must withstand steady 15-20mph wind with steady gusts into the 30s.

I do NOT want to hear from any theorists or anybody posing hypotheticals. Any tricks of the trade from people who have actually DONE this? Should I cut holes in the sails to spill air? How to minimize "luffing" and consequent noise?

Thank you from the Gorge to all you experienced DIYers in the hot zone!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell a cool triangular sun shade at Costco right now for $15. But if you'd like to make one, it is best to buy a grommet kit at Harbor Freight for $3.99. Put a grommet through the strongest section on top and bottom of mast sleeve. (you already have one on the clew)

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-piece-1-2-half-inch-grommet-installation-kit-30037.html

The kit is complete. I'd double the grommet on both top and bottom. ie.. match the two top holes/grommets and the two bottom holes/grommets. Because there are 2 pieces of fabric, I'd use 2 grommets, one on each side=4 grommets.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: making a shade out of a sail Reply with quote

Have you actually DONE this in a windy environment? Thanks.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig it with mast and mast base, no boom.
Tie it to something solid.
Lots of guys used to sleep under their sails, the masts tied together face to face providing an A frame sleeping area that is wind and waterproof, but you can still see thru to the stars.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I done it?
NO, I either live in a house with walls or live in a HondaCivic or Ford Van or a 25' sailboat.
Some people construct walls for a windbreak.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: making a shade out of a sail Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Have you actually DONE this in a windy environment? Thanks.

Yes, but I used a canvas tarp cut into a triangle. Because a sail has a luff pocket and is crinkly, I opted for canvas. I think the sail would rattle in the wind.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be a good idea to construct a windbreak out of a sail? It not that it can't be done, but one has to remember that sails are make to catch and use wind rather than to be a defense against it. If you want to construct a windbreak, seems to me that a tarp of some kind with grommets would be a better starting point. But, where's the art in that?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reading and comprehension are good. Reply with quote

Still looking forward to hearing from people who have ACTUALLY used windsurf sails to provide SHADE to the side of a house in a windy environment for extended time (months).

No theorizing.
No guessing.
No "almosts".
No not reading or not comprehending my original post (or this one).

Thanks.
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/#q=sun+sail+shade

These work great! Cheap, porous, sturdy...
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No alternatives, please. Just sail solutions.

It's about RE-USING, people! Anybody can go out and buy a solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: