myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longer stay on Maui.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laglider

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Longer stay on Maui. Reply with quote

After visiting Maui for couple of times for 10 days this time I have more free time (and because of it, less money) and want to try to spend at least a month there (and 2-3 months in the following years).
The logistic of longer stay is very different from your normal 2 weeks vacation. I would appreciate any advice on housing, car/equipment rental/buying, car/equipment storage or anything else.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single? Wife? Kids?
Rent a room at a cheap B&B or group habitat, rent a van, live in it at BaldwinPark, and your gear stored inside?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cool (cheap) B&B near the Haili Maili Store. Great way to spend a month getting to know fellow travelers.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four Seasons just ask Obama. Tell him about how important it is for everyone to experience the Four Seasons Resort.

Or Tent at Baldwin..........woooooooooooooooo!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
Four Seasons just ask Obama. Tell him about how important it is for everyone to experience the Four Seasons Resort.

Or Tent at Baldwin..........woooooooooooooooo!

No shit? They used to have a free kids buffet for brunch. We'd stay on the N shore but recreate at 4 seasons when there was no wind. Free parking, nice buffet, gym, and game room if you're bored. All for free! As long as you look rich! Embarassed
flaherty

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay at the Banana Bugalow Wailuku, get a private room, and they used to have Surfers Rate, not sure if it's still avalable. I stayed there for a month in 2009 , when I retired. Go with the flow, and you'll enjoy. Rent a car from Franks Friendly car rental.
laglider

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies.
It's quite a range, from tent/van at Baldwin beach to Four seasons Smile. I am looking for something in between. Banana Bungalow still has attractive Surfer Special, but there is no kitchen/kitchenette and I need private/semiprivate bathroom as well. Still hope to find something on North Shore for under $1000/month. Sent request to Frank for a car rent quote. Any recommendations for a cheap storage to keep my equipment for the next year?
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Wind has offered equipment storage areas off and on over the years. Check with Kevin and see if they have it going at this time.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a van for $1000 and store it with all our stuff in it.
If you schedule yourself with landlords you may find a short term in Craigslist. Our friends had great luck posting an ad for themselves and letting landlords call them . Include photo and info about you to get better response.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lodging, gear, and transportation all run cheaper by the month. If that's not cheap enough, start deciding how else to cut corners. I have to have AC, so a tent is not going to cut it for me. I saved a bundle by showing up without reservations at a nice beachfront condo with vacancies and made them an offer way below the going rate. Maybe buying used gear and selling it or giving it away when you're done is cheaper. Local car/van rentals save bucks. I cook almost all my own food. Kihei lodging was cheaper, and its wind is generally comparable, sometimes better, than that of the windward shore. You lose the breaking waves (we don't know if that's part of your objective) and the drive from Kihei to the windward shore is short.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: