myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hawaii -Trade Winds Dead - 7 Months
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Hawaii -Trade Winds Dead - 7 Months Reply with quote

Hawaii Trade Winds Dead! looks like "On golden pond" nearly every single day for 7 months now, with a rare day every 4 or 5 weeks - but it will not hold 2 days even- than back to nothing for another 4-5 weeks. Never enough wind to even blow out a candle on the beach! Dead calm - going mad - where is that crack pipe?
katiedog

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching this from the east coast,looks like a lot of rain also.Summer holiday on hold now.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all a massive conspiracy by the windsurfing companies to sell their awesome light wind wave boards. what is the maximum number of thumbs up I can give the Goya Quad 118 L? It is not just for heavyweights, I sold my sailable SUP and replaced it with this board and now I love 8-10 mph and a solid groundswell.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capetonian, I finally got my 118 out on a nice swell and lighter winds. I bumped up to a 6.5 Ezzy Legacy sail, and found out how nice it could be. The board really turned well, once I got up to speed. That sail really is a lot more powerful than the Neil Pryde 6.2. However, I was over powered once the wind hit 23. I can take the 6.2 up to 26 without problems. No range in the Ezzy.

On the flip side, we've been having a good spring here in California. There is always some place to sail. I'll be back on Maui soon, (I hope) As soon as it gets windy. Jalama was 31 with gusts to 42 today, and should be this way all week!!!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hawaii -Trade Winds Dead - 7 Months Reply with quote

3.7_Maui wrote:
Hawaii Trade Winds Dead! looks like "On golden pond" nearly every single day for 7 months now, with a rare day every 4 or 5 weeks - but it will not hold 2 days even- than back to nothing for another 4-5 weeks. Never enough wind to even blow out a candle on the beach! Dead calm - going mad - where is that crack pipe?

Imagine what it's like here on Kauai, some days it's nearly dead calm and I go to the Kanaha webcam and see dozens of people sailing and kiting.
Be thankful you are on Maui.
windfind

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Actually there have been pretty reliable trade winds this winter and spring. The issue is that the trade winds have often been at the wrong angle sometimes throwing parts of Maui's north shore into a wind shadow.

You can see the problem in the video below from 6AM this morning. There are strong trade winds heading towards Maui. The problem is that low pressure systems you see to the north and northeast are distorting the shape of the North Pacific High.

Look at the low pressure north of Hawaii and notice how the North Pacific High's winds curve so they are SE rather than NE as they stream towards that low pressure.

Looking at the zoomed in 2nd video you can see that this is throwing parts of Maui's north shore in the lee of the Hana side and the Big Island. The effect is subtle today and there is wind just outside the north shore so it could still curve in this afternoon. But on days when it is a bit more SSE there has been a wind shadow all day.

The type of low pressure systems you see in the video pass MUCH less frequently and are much more to the north in the summer. So the crappy wind you saw this winter does not mean the wind will be poor this summer. Unless of course the hints of an El Niņo this coming winter arrive early.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

North Pacific HighNoTradesHawaii.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  19949 Time(s)

North Pacific HighNoTradesHawaii.gif

NPHdistortedCUhawaii.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Viewed:  19949 Time(s)

NPHdistortedCUhawaii.gif

Last edited by windfind on Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Thanks for that explanation Mike.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed a couple of great sailing days at S turns last winter while I sat waiting for wind on the N shore.

Because of this unusual pattern, are there any sailing spots near Hana? I've never heard of sailing up there, but wonder if the more ESE pattern could make it in.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still love to be on Maui. There must be tons of other stuff to do besides crack and windsurfing. I would give anything to live there. The fishing must be amazing. Tuna, shark and whatever else there is. A big plate of rice and wasabi with the tuna poki amazing stuff.
tross

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been planning to go to Oahu on Thursday - but I've never seen the trades shut down for so long! Looking like they won't kick in till mid next week, just in time for me to leave! Jonesing for some good kiting Sad.

Any suggestions for no-wind fun?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: