myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4/22 sesh at 3rd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: 4/22 sesh at 3rd Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n0J-2g_9BU

Could someone post a clip of the 3rd ave channel from 4/22/14
Thanks,
Enjoy,
fastfhucker
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice vid-wish I was there with you! I have a couple of thoughts about 3rd, certainly one of my all time fav spots, as it is for many of us. Do you think that the best swell usually sets up around the channel marker? I usually find the biggest, smoothest and most aggressively breaking swell there. Next I think and say all windsurfers should experience 3rd at least once on a steady 20 knot day with a good ebb, agree? Finally, 3rd does very well in accommodating windsurfers and kiters together, I.E. the system works.
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly Thanks it was a challenging day! everyone else was on 4.0 and smaller there were times when I had to just stand up straight and sheet out and I would've gotten more jumps with a smaller (easier to sheet in) sail
also the 95 liter FSW was too wide for that chop so it was bouncy.
This video was when it was flooding hard, during flood tide the best swell is where the 4 mile fetch swell "Jacks up" a bit just upwind of the channel marker.
in an ebb tide (Current flowing against the wind like the gorge) the best swell is in the middle of the channel.
Yes everyone should have the chance to sail/kite 3rd
For the most part Kites and Windsurfers "Get along" at third
No One has been Beheaded yet

I hope to get another high wind sesh (Ebb tide) this weekend!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The port tack reaches looked like "Mr. Toad's wild ride" with what appeared to be disorganized short duration chop. No doubt, quick action and lots of possible air time. Your starboard reaches looked like they made it all worthwhile.

I've never sailed 3rd, but I have sailed Coyote many times over the years. Same kind of port tack action reaching out. Normally, it's starboard reaching out on the coast, so the setup in at 3rd, Coyote and Crissy can be a bit challenging to adjust to.

One thing that amazes me is how far many of you sail out into the bay. You would never find me 3-4 miles out in the ocean. It would get me the creeps to be that far out in even the SF Bay. One time a Coyote, I was out probably a mile out and my mast suddenly broke due to camber wear. Luckily, it was above the ferrule, so I was able to slog in with the sail and broken mast bent over slamming the boom all the way in.
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good day, one of too few this crappy spring. Think I was on 3.5 and 75L, which was just right at my wt (155).
3rd rocks. But carrying a marine radio in a waterproof container is a must-have - kind of akin to an IQ test. Have never had to use mine, but adds so much more confidence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: