myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why are Sailworks Sails the Best Sails Ever ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll Bite,
LeeD (Ziraeb) Is probably right and might be able to sail "Rings around" Spennie with is 86' whatever no twist sail, What Demond (LeeD) never mentions is he is 140lbs soaking wet!!

I just love it when guys repeatedly "Pimp" their gear from yesteryear.
Yes Demond and others can make their 1986 gear sail very well because they evolved with the gear. but thats not why they sail that old stuff.
They intentionally use old gear to get attention.
But thats a whole'nother thread!

I was on Bruces' gear before he started Sailworks and bought three "new fangled twisty head" race sails from SeaLevel in Burlingame from Brad Duffy when he worked there in 1989.
I loved my 3.7,5.6,6.1 and have sailed Sailworks exclusively ever since.
Back then Bruce would design each sail size for the conditions that sail would be used in and not simply mathematically upscale each new size to simply be 10% bigger than the last
Over the years I have had to buy/borrow other brands as there were simply no affordable used Sailworks readily available. Most notably North Warps.
I liked the warps but they required so much downhaul and still didn't de-power when I needed them to.
I had an 11.0 Nitro-5 that was a very good sail!

In this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmPxfTlAQM

I was borrowing my buddy Dave's (big guy no hat) 5.7 Northwave which was super smooth but didn't have the range or speed of a 5.6 Hucker (in fact the 5.6 Hucker is superior to the Northwave in most aspects but the Northwave was very smooth! and sure provided us with a ton of fun that day)

Lastly there is no way that Bruce would ever badmouth any of the other brands. It's simply unprofessional and unproductive.
All the sail brands excel in their design characteristics, If you want Smooth and luffable get a brand that is known for those characteristics
If you want low end grunt get a brand that is known for those characteristics.
If you want great local customer service and the ability to "Call the Designer"
Well there is only one brand (maybe two) that I know of that offer that perk.

Gee what brand is that?
My 2c
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back on this thread there's an unfortunate under tone from the very title:
"Why are Sailworks Sails the best ever?"
While I don't totally disagree with the sentiment I would never speak in such a definitive arrogant manner.

I mean who would ever make a statement like "I could sail rings around you Spennie"

again definitive arrogance without any proof just attitude.

I'm glad you love your Sailworks sails as much as I do but lets keep it real

Fastfhucker
rpaillon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Another Brand Reply with quote

I've been sailing Neil Pryde's since 1999. As I gradually replaced sails, I've tried to sneak other brands into my quiver, but they rigged differently and felt different. I've stayed with Pryde's simply for convenience. What irks me is that early in the century all my sails from 3.5 to 5.7 could be rigged on a 400 cm mast. My latest quiver takes 3 masts; 370, 400, and 430. I doubt if I will ever replace my 3.5 because the latest model takes a 340 mast.

My main priority for a sail is stability. My backhand arm gets tired when I'm on an unstable sail and since I'm pushing 70 that can't stand. The old NR's were every bit as stable as the Combat's and Atlas's of today and I don't notice any significant difference between the eras in the ranges of the sails, so I can't see much change outside of the graphics. And some of the latest Pryde sails look like they were designed by Martha Stewart.

Okay, I've just opened the door for all you brand loyalists to recommend your sails, but spare me the comments. When someone comes out with a truly superior new design (as the box-head was), I will be on it.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRIMAR wrote:
I just love it when guys repeatedly "Pimp" their gear from yesteryear.
Yes Demond and others can make their 1986 gear sail very well because they evolved with the gear. but thats not why they sail that old stuff.
They intentionally use old gear to get attention.

If you want great local customer service and the ability to "Call the Designer"
Well there is only one brand (maybe two) that I know of that offer that perk.

Gee what brand is that?

Strange you'd pimp Norhwave in a Sailworks tribute thread. Sure, one can call Bruce and get great service, but the only sails produced in the U.S. and thus very highly customizable during normal production are not his.

And I pimp old gear ... well, boards, not sails ... (not '86 but certainly up to 15 years old) because for my type of sailing in the Gorge it works better than any of the shortwide/"stubby" boards I've tested. Sorry 'bout that. The only attention my older boards have gotten is comments from MANY people, many of them strangers, on what they do better than stubbies.

But back to Lee's praise for ancient sails, well, I just put 'em in the same bin with claims that a whole shopfull of sailors learned to plane through sinker jibes within a month of beginning to WS. It seems odd that such a collection of 99.9th percentile sailors happened to work under one roof. Like another guy's claim that he planed for eight consecutive hours on a nuke day at Doug's Beach, I can't prove it's not true, but I ain't convinced, either.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRIMAR wrote:
Looking back on this thread there's an unfortunate under tone from the very title:
"Why are Sailworks Sails the best ever?"
While I don't totally disagree with the sentiment I would never speak in such a definitive arrogant manner.

I mean who would ever make a statement like "I could sail rings around you Spennie"

again definitive arrogance without any proof just attitude.

I'm glad you love your Sailworks sails as much as I do but lets keep it real

Fastfhucker

+1
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
I mean who would ever make a statement like "I could sail rings around you Spennie" ... again definitive arrogance without any proof just attitude.

Peconic Puffin/Michael Alex, among many, regarding me, many times, even though we live and sail thousands of miles apart. It's nothing new or unique.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to qualify. I've been windsurfing every season for over 25 years. I sail lots. I've got 5 launches within 15mins of work. I've bought more sails than most, usually 1-2 sails a year. I have four 5.5 etc.... Allow me to restate, I think Sailworks are the best. Most range and fattest sweet spot.

My 5.5 Naish Sprint for example, it's monofilm. Takes an insane amount of downhaul and is lifeless unless overpowered. Not enough out haul and you cannot attach the boom. Does he even bother testing his gear? I mean besides kites? He should have stuck to boards or sails, now kites? Neil Pryde said is best. Don't muddy the waters.
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very entertaining and I'm sure you've all qualified for your discount from Bruce P. but for the benefit of people who look to this forum for factual information (as opposed to unpaid ads) I'd suggest you go to the url below, where the PWA counts up the slalom, wave and freestyle wins for each sail brand and Sailworks came in 12th. Wait...Correction! TIED for 12th with powerhouse Gun Sails.

http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=1864

According to the PWA, not a single slalom competitor raced on Sailworks, which according to this thread is 'the best sail ever.'

Just sayin'
stcyp66

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the best quiver the one you found suit best your physical aptitudes and improvement goals at the time you write this tread?

Learning how to Gybe, Spock or forward loop is pretty feasible with most sails these days. Instead, the rider's rigging and riding skills seem to be the real differentiator.

Laughing
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride Northwaves in the Gorge, and I love'm. I ride Sailworks in Utah,
and I love'm. All those other manufaturer sails and especially any sails
older than 15 years, just suck. Plus, I've seen you guys on the beach.
Your mother dresses you funny, your SO is ugly, and your taste in
music stinks. ;*)

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: