myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board choices are so confusing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do is get two boards. One in the 120-130 liter range, and another in the 90-100 liter range. If you're not ready right away to go with the smaller board, it's very likely that you will within a short period of time. On windy days, you'll really appreciate the smaller board.

Most importantly, work on a strong waterstart, as it's the key to advancement and a strong degree of confidence.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see so many still rate the Bic Techno 112 Medium. It's a good solid well performing board that's almost as legendary as the Screamer.

It's well suited to 6.0/6.8 sails with the Select 34 (standard) fin in force 4 type conditions. (It can take smaller sails if necessary - but 6/6.8 is the sweet spot.)

It's one of those boards of which you can say, it's not what it does so much as how it does it! In 'nice' sea-breeze force 4's it's in its element, and I'd defy anybody not to have a big grin on their mush!! Laughing
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
The JP is to small and will limit your time on the water.

I disagree. Like the OP I am 63 kg, and I think the JP would be a fine choice. An X-cite Ride 105, which is nearly the same dimensions, was my 6.0 board for years. But it could (actually should) be on the more expensive side of what he is looking at. And if memory serves me (as it so often doesn't) he lives in India, so his choice is limited.
uchida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advise that was given to me while board shopping was, " PUT IN ON THE WATER AND SAIL IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!" It never fails to amaze me how differently boards sail and how different people's opinions on boards are. I'll never buy a board without sailing it first.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uchida wrote:
The best advise that was given to me while board shopping was, " PUT IN ON THE WATER AND SAIL IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!"

That's generally good advice, especially if you spend a lot of money on a new board. But it does not apply here for several reasons. One is that the choice of used boards with a limited budget will be limited. Of the 8 boards on the original list, #1, 7 & 8 are completely out of question (too fragile, not for intermediates). #3 & #4 are too small, #2 should be too expensive and also is a bit small, so that leaves only 2 boards.

The bigger issue, though, is that the OP is looking for a board that's much smaller than what he is sailing now, and one to improve and use for years. That means it may take a few days, and some skill improvements, to get really comfortable with the new board. Any board that he'd like right away would probably be too big and/or boring a year from now.

U2U2U2 wrote:
If I were to pick ONE of theses its the Bic EVO Techno M

Agreed. 3 years younger than the 273, a good volume for 63 kg, and the nose might be a bit less prone to breaking in catapults than for the Techno 273.
ben.eliyahu.tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mind telling us the costs/ conditions of the jp and the bics? in my mind the bic techno m is probably your best choice, i have had my 110l board as my first shortboard and kept it as a lightwind board ever since and i feel like it was a good size for me 67kg ish to work on carve jibes, waterstarts and some small jumps.. to be honest though once i got onto my (much) shorter 85l wave board i found it much easier to jibe as it has almost the same width as my 60x 260 110l but is 25cm shorter.. so ideally two boards a small one for when its windy and the techno m for 5.5m and up
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally looking at keeping my Funster 180L cause I really like it with my 7.5m sail in 15-20k winds and flat water....however I would also gladly move on to a smaller board if it can outdo the funster in the same wind range plus provide me with more control and fun when the water starts getting choppy.

Im hoping the board lasts me for at least another 3 years before I feel like upgrading again so I dont mind paying a bit more if its worth the money.

The prices that i'm getting the boards for

2003 Bic Techno 273 - 200 Pounds
2006 Bic Evolution M - 300 Pounds
2011 JP Funride 100 - 400 Pounds
2011 JP AllRide 106 FWS - 500 Pounds

I figure that the older boards will give me more value for my money and help me progress with my jibes, waterstarts, and jumps....I could probably invest in a more modern board and concentrate in perfecting my skill when I reach an advanced level.

I dont mind a smaller board even though it may take me a few weeks to get comfortable but due to lack of storage space I prefer a board that can multi-task but with the goal of progressing my skill.

And since I live in India where equipment is hard to come by its important I pick up the right stuff.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a good idea of the value of the boards you short listed, you also need to account for the life that's left in each of them.

Board inspection is an art in itself. I'm not good at it, but can illustrate with a recent experience. I am helping a friend by transporting a board that needs repair. I tried to locate the problem with my fingers without success. My friend did the same with a lot more pressure and could show me the problem. The board is somewhat soft under the front left pad area.

At the shop, the repairman actually stepped on the board to highlight the problem. This method seems to be better for the stepping area. Doing that showed that the problem was maybe bigger than we tought. But he said that since there was not creaking noise at all, it was quite possible that the problem was not very severe.

After removal of the pad, it was finally seen that a real crack was present and that some water leaked in too, requiring extensive and expensive repair.

My personal lesson from this is that I have to step on the board to easily test for soft areas. I wonder if experts here could chime in to share their inspection routine, in order to support the OP with board selection?
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm picking up the boards from a reputed online dealer who describes them to be in pretty good condition so I'm gonna have to take their word for it.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP AllRide 106 is new on your list and deserves to be considered. It will plane earlier than the Techno and be more fun all around. It's not quite as robust, but 2 kg lighter and 5 years younger. Repairs will be easier and cheaper than for the Bics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: