myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Avid windsurfer killed by shark while fishing.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Avid windsurfer killed by shark while fishing. Reply with quote

I am moving all the posts about Pat to this new thread (from the thread about the kiter at kanaha). It seems proper to put in a new thread.

Last edited by summertime on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted by milldo Dec. 2:

http://mauinow.com/2013/12/02/fatal-shark-attack-forces-closure-of-south-maui-shoreline/

reply by whitesalmonmike:

He was an avid windsurfer that stayed with me and we sailed uppers every chance we got. Only reason he was fishing was that there has been no wind here for a week.

Last edited by summertime on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted by loosescrew Dec. 3:

We are numb and processing a lot of emotions today after the loss of one of our own from the Seattle area in a fatal shark attack while fishing in his kayak. We sailed with Pat at Uppers regularly during his winter visits to Maui. This is way to close to home for many of us who knew Pat. RIP my friend.

Last edited by summertime on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard

Kewakapu beach and La Perouse are very close to one another. I wonder if it is the same shark only days apart, and whether he has a taste for humans after these attacks. I also wonder about the food chain. Is there something wrong in the water. Not enough fish to eat? It may be time to take out one of the big near shore Mako's.

RIP to Pat. This is a hard blow to any family and community.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013 20:09 Post subject: Reply with quote -----

What are the details of this latest attack? Did the shark attack him while he was in his kayak? That makes it a lot scarier than an attack on a surfer with his legs dangling over the edge looking like a seal.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013 20:22 He was dangling one leg over the edge of the yak while fishing with lures.
It took his foot. He wasn't alone and got help right away but bled out.
Sad event.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnoestman
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013 21:30

Humans attracting sharks 6am til noon daily-(or later, weather permitting)
humans = food
http://www.allhawaiitours.com/body.asp?tour=HNL-SRK02&page=TourDetails&pref=02&aid=ltg1227&gclid=CLHemrv9lLsCFcY1QgodW0wAfQ

Or here:

http://honuhawaiiactivities.com/luaus/north-shore-shark-adventures-p-1628.html?gclid=CNTrkM7-lLsCFcU5Qgod2mwAQg

Can we ban this association/activity?
Jus' sayin' Idea
My heartfelt thoughts go to another waterman's family
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013 21:49

whitesalmonmike wrote:
He was an avid windsurfer that stayed with me and we sailed uppers every chance we got. Only reason he was fishing was that there has been no wind here for a week.

If he uppers sailor I probably knew him. Poor man! RIP!
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesalmonmike
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013 23:19 Post subject: Avid windsurfer killed by shark while fishing.

keycocker wrote:
"He was dangling one leg over the edge of the yak while fishing with lures.
It took his foot. He wasn't alone and got help right away but bled out.
Sad event. "

reply by whitesalmonmike:
He did not get help right away. The other kayak was about 500 yards away and thought he had caught another bait fish. He had passed out by the time the other kayak got to him, it was to late. A tourniquet was applied. And it took maybe 20 minutes to paddle to the anchored snorkel boat.

Pat was my wing-man and I will deeply miss him. We were out in uppers every sailable day. We had given up snorkeling and swimming on the south side many years ago do to the threat of sharks. He had a wife and 3 brothers and no children.

Mike

Last edited by summertime on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy and pasted from the LA Times since links to articles don't work after about a week usually:

Hawaii officials have shut down an area of water just off the southern coast of Maui after a kayaker was killed in an apparent shark attack there Monday.

It was the second such death in Maui this year, continuing a worrisome trend for Hawaii after a decade of relative quiet that has been disturbed by an increase in shark attacks over the last two years.

On Monday, Patrick A. Briney, 57, of Stevenson, Wash., was fishing and kayaking with a friend somewhere between Maui and the tiny island of Molokini -- which is about 2 1/2 miles off Maui's south shore -- when his friend heard him cry out, according to the Maui County Police Department.

The friend paddled to Briney and found him bleeding profusely from an apparent shark bite on his right leg, police said.

Unable to stop the bleeding, the pair sought help from a chartered snorkeling boat, which took Briney to a boat ramp ashore, police said. But Briney died before he could be taken to a hospital.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-maui-shark-attack-20131203,0,457677.story#ixzz2mTbsTq2J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: