myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fed Shut Down and Hatteras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeeet!! Nice vid, thanks for putting that together and posting it! I'm glad you guys had fun out there.

For anyone wondering, those are typical conditions on the southside on the second day of a NE wind. Third day will get bigger. Fourth day is usually on the XL side of things, and a bit more tricky, but still plenty of fun. Ocracoke can be a bit safer when Izzy's gets larger/heavier than you want to deal with.

Same thing happens all summer long, too- just a mirror image with starboard tack conditions on the east facing beaches with SW wind...... So now you all know, and I expect to see everyone out there! Very Happy No excuses! Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
fitz@qis.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Isabel's Parking Lot open? Reply with quote

Andy,

So are the ocean beach parking lots open or not? I've heard conflicting tales from a few different sources.

Not many want to make the long drive only to be shut out from the good sailing sites.

Tropical Storm Boehner is not good for business.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fitz,

The 4x4 ramps are closed off, but most all of the parking lots right next to the ramps are open and people have been parking and walking over to the beach. The Canadian Hole lot is barricaded, but apparently everyone is just parked along the road and carrying their equipment to the beach (an extra 15 yards). Dunno about the legality of that...

On the southside, for example Izzys (where the movie was filmed), the lot is not barricaded and people have been parking there and beaching it up every day....... Not sure why some lots are open and others are barricaded. Question but apparently it doesn't really matter and people are doing whatever the heck they want anyway..........

And regardless, even if Park Service rangers Did actually decide to start kicking people out, my prior suggestions will still keep you on the water, legally. Primarily:

1) Frisco Woods Campground (awesome soundside launch, perfect for any direction but due south or SSE)
2) Any soundside rental house- check with your rental company for availability
3) Oceanside at the edges of town should be pretty good and doable. For example:
3a) Northeast to East wind: Frisco Pier parking lot
3b) Northwest to north wind: Any side street at the north end of Avon
3c) West north west to west: side streets near the end of Hatteras village?
3d) Southwest to south: side streets at the south end of Avon
3e) South east: Nags Head side streets

Hope that helps, and hope to see you soon!! This place has always been the wild wild west of the east coast and so far that moniker seems to be appropriate, with both the public disregarding the closures and at the same time law enforcement turning a blind eye whenever possible... Rolling Eyes Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
btbill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, as Andy noted, folks can make it work down south of Oregon Inlet.

Though of note, Nags Head is completely open as the NPS land starts where the Nags Head town limit ends. Thus, all Nags Head ocean side ramps are open (beach driving now allowed in Nags Head with permit ($25 runs Oct 1 - May 1). Jockeys Ridge, and old Windmill Pt sites are open for sound side.

All in all, if you are coming down this Fall, you can windsurf, even if the Fed Gov keeps you from climbing the Lighthouse.

bb
fitz@qis.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Hatteras launches Reply with quote

Andy,

Thanks for the detailed response. I figured on the soundside houses being OK and can usually find someone I know there.

Interesting that Isabel's is open since I've been ocean side and sound side (for kiting) there with NE winds.

Too bad about Canadian Hole- not sure that is very safe to have all the cars on the highway when there is a perfectly good parking lot there.

Lots of work here but the Hatteras wind is always tempting!

Does Frisco Woods charge for the launch or do they let non-campers use their beach for free?

Thanks
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coast Guard Beach on Cape Cod locked the bathrooms but the outdoor showers are still on!!! Very Happy
A few shots from this afternoon. (Sorry no shower shots.) Wink

JE_Peter-T7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB
 Viewed:  9766 Time(s)

JE_Peter-T7.jpg

Jer_Jeff.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  975.89 KB

Jer_Jeff.jpg

JE_Peter-T4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  741.24 KB

JE_Peter-T4.jpg

Look_out_for_the_kite_lines.jpg
 Description:
Yes those are kite lines!!!!
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  9767 Time(s)

Look_out_for_the_kite_lines.jpg

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool shots! I love the first one. Is it side shore there or what you sailing there.

I just spent my afternoon getting spanked on 3.7M on 81L. Sail flattened, mast track full forward and me 205 lbs. Gusts to 50 mph!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: