myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf near Sao Paulo (Brasil) and renting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kouyou63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Windsurf near Sao Paulo (Brasil) and renting Reply with quote

Hello everybody

may I introduce myself, my name is Christophe, I am 30 years old, and new on the forum. Regarding my windsurf level, I learnt on big boards, I am confident with planning, riding and so on, ant not familiar with waterstart and proper jibing.

A new topic for my question. In the next few months, I will work two weeks per month at San Jose Dos Campos in Brasil. As I am triing to improve my level, especially for waterstart, and because I will be for some time in this place, I was wondering whether there would be a place where I could rent windsurfing stuff and ride. I went through the forum topics, and found that near San Jose Dos Campos, there is Ilhabela which is quite a good spot.

However, I have not managed to find a place where I could rent windsurf stuff, has anybody already done such thing?

I hope someone will be able to help me

Thanks to you

Christophe
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky dog. Very Happy Get down to Ilhabela and ask around! There must be a spot to rent decent windsurf gear. The place is famous, particularly Canas Point, which I believe is near the NW corner of the island. The São Sebastião Channel (off of the west end of the island) gets a nice venturi effect as the wind is pushed through high mountains on both sides. No great weather stations in the area, but many great windsurfers!:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#-23.753,-45.351,13,obs

If you can get over to Rio --
Araruama is a great spot for windsurfing, east of Rio. Barao Wind Point rents windsurf gear:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.baraowindpoint.com.br/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drio%2Bde%2Bjaneiro%2Bwindsurf%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den%26as_qdr%3Dall

And Buzios is out on the cape, further east of Rio. Check the Buzios Vela Club:
http://www.buziosvelaclube.com.br

Here's Rio on iWindsurf's sister website, WindAlert:
http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#-22.728,-41.81,8,obs
kouyou63

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geohaye, thank you very much for the info. I am supposed to go to San Jose for the next 2 weeks, I will try to go there the week end in between. By the way, it is winter time there, it might be simply a visit.

One other question, as I am not that much familiar with species near those places, is there any danger, like rays, shark (?), jellyfish etc etc?

Do you go there some time to time?

Thank you !
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Brasil, but I want to go!

These windsurf spots get packed with windsurfers, so there might be some things to watch out for like jellyfish, but nothing that keeps people from windsurfing! When you get there, ask around....
raffar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fun facts while going to Ilhabela (SP litoral):
- Bring plenty mosquito repellent. They have those "borrachudos" ouchhh. Once you get bitten you'll know what I mean Rolling Eyes
- January is generally the worst time for wind
- Water is cold. I know, I know, "cold" is a relative thing and it doesn't help that I grew up in the Golf, but there the current from the arctic flows up along the shore of Brazil. Nothing too crazy, but you'd need a wet suit. Loads of surfers all wearing 3/4 wet suits. (when in doubt, do what locals do).
- Have not heard of "marine life" issues in the area. If the "men in the gray suit" knew how many kiters roam the area..... but I think they prefer the surfers and beach goers way up north (a few states up)
- Expect long queues to get on the "balsa" (ferry) unless you can get there very early or very late.
- Load of other activities (hiking, etc.) to do for when the wind is a no-show.
STIM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a shop (www.bl3.com.br) where you might be able to rent some gear. They do have beginner and intermediate gear, and they might be able to get you a freeride board and a modern rig. BL3 is also a “pousada”(small hotel) - very reasonable. Even in the winter you will not need anything more than a 2 mm suit – the water there does not get really cold (in Buzios it is cold because of the currents from the south). The wind is not that reliable and in the colder months (Apr-Oct) windy days are more frequent. Lots of formula and slalom gear (sails > 7.0). No marine hazards other than a few boats cruising around and the occasional jellyfish. The ferry is not a big issue anymore as they are now bigger and faster, and you can also book it in advance for a small (additional) fee (http://www.sigero.sp.gov.br/HMCliente/App_Travessia/webHoramarcada.aspx). Lots of other things to do if not windsurfing (mountain biking, hiking, SUPing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: