myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boston are beginner launches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Boston are beginner launches Reply with quote

I will be in Boston with my son this weekend and am looking for a nice shallow water launch for him to try his game on a sail sup. Are most public beaches off limits for this? I am not looking to spend hours in traffic to get yo the cape and I don't know how the harbor master at Duxbury feels about us stand up sailors these days...

Any pointers are appreciated!

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
shreddbob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...the best spot is West Dennis Beach on Cape Cod at low tide, but I hear ya about the driving.

I've never been to this place, but have heard it's good for beginner windsurfing:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/demarest-lloyd-state-park-south-dartmouth

Should be a good weekend for it.

Bob
npiankov

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are right in Boston, there are options, but none of them are clear cut winners. You could go to either Carson beach or Pleasure Bay in South Boston. Both of them are along the Day Blvd. Pleasure Bay is usually the preferred spot, but lifeguards don't let you sail there till 5.30-6pm in the summer. But if you are going in the evening anyway, that would be the obvious choice. Carson beach is nearby and could be fine. I don't think there are lifeguards these days. It's actually more shallow (you could probably stand 150yds away from shore in the right tide), but some of the bottom is littered with shells, so you should be wearing water shoes if you plan to stand on the bottom a lot.

In West wind you could also go to Squantum - it's the Nickerson beach in front of the intersection of Shoreham rd and Dorchester st. The bottom is kinda mucky near shore, but in the right tide it could be 3-4ft deep in a very wide area - away from shore and for a long stretch along the shore.

Good luck!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florian, sailing in Duxbury is not a problem, as long as you park before the bridge. The only time the Harbor Master does have a problem is when there is a storm warning.

IMO, the best place for beginners near Boston is the south side of Fogland in Tiverton, RI. You can always find a knee-deep area there, and the crowd is really friendly. It's about a 75 min drive from Boston, but traffic on route 24 is pretty much never an issue. If you have half a day or more, it's definitely worth the trip.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tides in Duxbury are good for afternoon beginner sessions tomorrow and Sunday. Just don't try to go out on your slalom gear with a big pointer fin near low tide. Water shoes are an absolute must in Duxbury, and a really good idea at most other places.
JFred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahant.
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Leaning toward Duxbury. Anyone else out there teaching (their) kids today?

feuser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duxbury was great. Superb place for beginners. Water shoes would have been nice (ouch!) but then, we weren't bitten by any big fish. Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: