myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foundering on New Kona One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jingebritsen"]
kona racing, vs kona free riding do not always require the same settings.

With the kind of sailing the poster is doing, cruising around and trying to get on a plane when the opportunity comes, I can't see why he wouldn't want to set it up like the racers do. Again, the racers are set up to get on a plane in as little wind as possible, which happens to be the same for getting upwind as fast as possible.

Check that little video to set your boom height relative to your body. Those guys seem to know what they're doing.

Darbonne is right about the 2" back deal. The deck plate on my extension is about 4" in diameter, and the front of the deck plate is even with the front of the track.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the OP certainly wants to plane as fast as possible, certain limits must apply to what is acceptable. If the sailor is willing to pump, switch to a FW sail, carbon boom and ideal mast; racing fins and without the centerboard the Kona One will plane up better with the mast foot back. I've tested this specifically and can confirm with my own experience. Moreover, while I totally agree with Joe that a mast forward position works best with the OD rig, especially when sailing as high and deep as possible, top speed is compromised for the sake of other priorities.

The Kona One actually balances better when planing on a beam reach where the mast foot is in the middle or slightly back and when racing upwind on the fin isn't the plan. That's been my experience with the 8.2. Put simply, the board will unwet and sail faster on a beam reach with the mast foot back but will suffer terribly going upwind without any question.

Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the good information from the experienced sailors. Trying to put it all together and make it work in real life is a trying process. Sometimes I think I should have bought the Hobie 16.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh - Hobies, now you're talking. I had a Hobie 14 waaay back in the day. I was the 1972 east coast regional champ. I would spend 10 - 12 hours a day sailing around in (on) that thing. it was awesome!!

good luck with your windsurfing and your Kona One, it's a cool board, it was a good decision to go with it. Windsurfing is the best. I almost wish I had started windsurfing back in the 70's instead of 2006.
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll still take a Hobie out if there's a friend whose got one rigged on the beach but I must admit to being much more cautious sailing by myself in case it tips. Not as easy to waterstart. Yeah, the Kona One is a nice board and am looking forward to teaching some visiting friends from England. And by all the helpful posts, I also expect to be trying a number of different setups this weekend. Will have to rely on improving technique and rigging to maintain a plane as a carbon boom and a 9.0 sail is numerous paychecks away.
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been alot of suggestions. Some, a little off topic (need bigger sail, maximizing speed, etc). So here are some things to remember.

1. On a board that is used and raced all over the world like the Kona One, there is no need to do alot of experimenting. The best all around and earliest planing placement of your mast will be about 2" back from full forward. As mentioned in the thread, if you get to the point where you are on a full plane and dragging the foot of the sail, you may have to move the mast back a little in those conditions.

2. If you put your friends on a smaller sail, and you put the mast forward, they may not be able to tack it. Try it yourself first. Move the mast back just far enough so you can tack it.

3. Some folks I sail with use 'under powered' and 'under skilled' interchangeably. Never is this so obvious as when sailing one design (same sized sailors on the exact same equipment). Lack of skill can be compensated by more wind or a bigger sail. More wind will make it easier for you to plane, at first. The amount of wind needed to plane comes down with experience.

4. The amount of wind needed to initiate a plane is higher if the track is back. For years, folks have been racing long boards with adjustable tracks. Just kinda common knowledge among racers.

5. Don't worry about getting in the straps too much. When you step on one accidently, get in it.

6. My wife would keep moving the mast on her Kona back. She would tell me that it didn't feel comfortable up there. So, I told her that she better also get comfortable doing poorly in races and having her friends pass her up on a plane. After getting beat and passed for a few months, she moved it forward, and had to get used to sailing with it there. Now, she's queen of the slow plane.

7. Good luck!
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread for me. I am quite certain my Ezzy Freeride 7.5 planes earlier for me with the track close to the middle, and expected the same for my Kona 9.0, but I now realize that it is faster to plane with the thing forward. Last time I was out, the wind was marginal, I was expecting to plane more than I did and couldn't figure out why. Now I know.

I would like to add something, somewhat in relation with Konajoe point 5.

The Kona has some rocker and is not flat lengthwise like raceboards. Keeping the nose very low in order to plane earlier is counterproductive. If you do that, the back area of the board will be angled downward instead of upward. This creates suction instead of lift, and sometimes you can even hear it. I used to be stuck in what I call "slow planing mode" where the board was planing, but somewhat slowly with a big pull from the sail, because of that.

My setup allowed me at the time to plane quite in front of the straps, causing the nose to ride too low. If you instead try to sail near the straps, even if you are not in them, the board will get on plane much easier and will be much faster. Eventually, the straps were bothering me as I was stepping on them, so I figured how to sail in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: