myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Guess where I sailed! Reply with quote

Or we could post with more description than usual and not name the place and other posters could try and guess where we sailed, and the original poster would have to fess up if someone gets it right.
koogzah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A most entertaining parlor game, but... I think not.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Thurs/Fri July 4-5 Reply with quote

Thursday the wind came up abruptly. Fortunately I was almost prepared. The car was pre-loaded with larger sails up to 7.3. I saw the rapid rise with inland temperature of 88F or so, speculated about the gradients, unloaded the 7.3 and its 460 mast and large boom, and loaded the 5.0 and 400 mast.

Usual Bodega 2:1 gusty with very short-period chop. Almost wish I'd loaded the 4.5 for the gusts, but was generally very well powered on 5.0. Only three other people showed up.

Friday did not deliver what the forecast seemed to promise. Anticipating more wind, I'd left the 7.3 at home so was on 6.4, which was mostly underpowered. Nonetheless it was enough to stay upwind without much trouble until near sunset, when I had to pump part of the way back in. I enjoy low-key relaxation sailing, and the conditions were conducive to some post-injury experimentation with hooking in.

The fireworks across the harbor were decent. Spectators on my side of the harbor were well-enough behaved apart from automotive stupidity. A small group standing nearby were smoking something that smelled like a combination of weed and fabric softener. I couldn't figure out if I had a mild contact high, or just sea legs from being on the water for 7 hours on and off.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: San Luis Res Friday and Saturday. Reply with quote

4.7 on Friday but kind of up and down an got more so as the Day progressed. Weed Fins defiantly needed.
Saturday started on 4.7 as it gave me 20minutes of that around 2 pm when I got rigged. Went to 5.7 for about and hour while leaving
the 4.7 rigged. Went back to 4.7 till 6:30 could have been on smaller by the end. Also they filled the pool today .
About 6 sailing from the North side and more from the Mederos side.
victor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: secret spot Reply with quote

> not at liberty to disclose the location

come on, lee. marina bay has adequate space. that place has been sailed for more than 25 years, back when there were actually a lot of windsurfers. pt. isabel is closer for most sf bay sailers, anyway, and an easier launch especially at high tide.

the more the merrier, and safer.

there were peeps that didn't want anyone to find out about the ashby launch because of limited space. d'oh! like you couldn't see the colorful sails from anywhere.

turns out both mb and ashby can be a long slog to and from the windline while everyone else is planing right off the launch across the way. that's why they're all over there.
windwiner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Larkspur Reply with quote

Finally scored a session at Larkspur, not exactly a bucket list spot but have wanted to sail it for years. 5.2 and opted for a floaty board to get to the wind line which was a mistake. Once across the channel 105 liters was way too much, should have ridden the 85. Really fun lil ramps all over the place. Fun day, but wish I would have been on smaller board and more DH on the 5.2. Good people in the parking lot with the local scoop. hoping for a repeat...
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Larkspur Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
Finally scored a session at Larkspur, not exactly a bucket list spot but have wanted to sail it for years. 5.2 and opted for a floaty board to get to the wind line which was a mistake. Once across the channel 105 liters was way too much, should have ridden the 85. Really fun lil ramps all over the place. Fun day, but wish I would have been on smaller board and more DH on the 5.2. Good people in the parking lot with the local scoop. hoping for a repeat...

Yes, it was good yesterday. My $.02, rig for the outside. There are 3 zones, near the channel, upwind and outside/upwind. Progressively windier. I look outside and judge by that. If you rig too big, stay closer to the channel or closer to the marsh. If you rig too small, head way outside or way upwind. Or both. Never rig for the channel, just slog upwind for half an hour and you're in the good stuff. Should be a repeat today I hope. Don't wanna cross any bridges.

Steve
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd day in a row for me at the spur.
5.0 this time, of course, too much outside, by pager reading only 12-22, who knew?
As for sailing spots, I was the guy who discovered OysterPoint, FlyingTigers, OceanBeachSF, HalfMoonBay both inside the jetty and in the surf in front of Jeff's house, AgateBeach, PaloMarin (not true, was 2nd guy there, Kirby was first), Limantour, all before the end of 1984. Add StrawberryPt., SanRafaelAve. (Belevedere), RichardsonBridge, E Prison launch, Montecito (S side of Larkspur bay, and a handful more before 1985.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. like colombus discovered america.

how about "pioneered"?

Last edited by victor on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Larkspur Reply with quote

jse wrote:
windwiner wrote:

Yes, it was good yesterday. My $.02, rig for the outside. There are 3 zones, near the channel, upwind and outside/upwind. Progressively windier. I look outside and judge by that. If you rig too big, stay closer to the channel or closer to the marsh. If you rig too small, head way outside or way upwind. Or both. Never rig for the channel, just slog upwind for half an hour and you're in the good stuff. Should be a repeat today I hope. Don't wanna cross any bridges.

Steve

or you could just rig a 4.7 and launch SQ Beach...no nasty rocks, no brown water slog, no triple tack upwind hula, just straight out to the ramps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 6 of 329

Jump to: