myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

139 windsurfing as of 11/8.
15 surfing as of today 11/13.
3 days attempting to wing foil.
1 day skate winging.

Still counting. The season is not over.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Nice november day Reply with quote

Ah! a nice November day at Stick. Crazy powered up with Isonic and 6.5, then same wind but in perfect control with the Exocet Slalom 95L. The wind did not last long but it was nice.

Miscellania troubles of a strange day: mast slides on the ferrule and I have to re-rig (twice, the second time the mast goes through the top opening). The Isonic mast foot slides forward, mid way an already crazy run ... when I change board I forget to tighten the bolts of its fin, I do go back wandering if I did and I can fix it before it gets out of the box Rolling Eyes ... I adjust the Harness to fit the 5.5 Winter wetsuit and it comes promptly undone while sailing, I came back with fairly roasted arms Shocked not sure what was wrong, the orange ball?

Three windsurfers out and a couple of wingies not doing too good ... Might do coyote or crissy tomorrow.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: 2020-11-29 Windsurfing Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Did not expect much for today so I was pleasantly surprised to find low teen to mid teen winds once I got just a short ways from shore. Waves at Natural Bridges were not the predicted 4 to 5 feet, so I thought I would sail up the coast to Secrets. There there was another pleasant surprise as these swell were in that 4 to 5 foot range. Played around there for a short while. Had to be on your toes as the swell could come up surprisingly fast, there were cliffs for the dead end and kelp heads scattered throughout.

Looking at the Google Earth map with my GPS tracks below, I see a spot with sparser kelp up to the northwest near that islanded sea stack. I need to explore there next time and check it out.

I was also out on the 25th along with a couple of wingers at Natural Bridges. Conditions were similar with slightly less wind.

11-29-2020 Windsurfing Natural Bridges and Secrets.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Viewed:  13618 Time(s)

11-29-2020 Windsurfing Natural Bridges and Secrets.png

windward1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: 2020-12-26 Waddell Reply with quote

One Hang Glider aloft when I arrived. Another soon joined him or her. No Kiters. No Windsurfers. No Wingers. Wind about 5 to 8 knots at the parking lot. Then the wind came up to 13 knots so a rigging I did go. Angulo SailSUP with my Ezzy Wave 5.8. A kiter showed up. He also windsurfs, but kited for today. One other kiter later showed up and played on the beach, but she did not launch.

Waves big, wind light. The 13 knots did not hold.

I was rejected on first try, got out on second try. Got caught inside while coming in. Did quite a bit of swimming. Rocks everywhere near shore, nice sandbar farther out. Checked my rig that got ripped from me. Bombproof EZZY Sail OK. Board losing its deck mat. One side bite fin broken off. Back out I went with my new asymmetrical (2-1)+1.

Got only one decent wave ride as the wind was so light. Fun going out climbing over the big walls of water wondering if I was going to make it over the top or not.

Would have been a much more fun day it the wind had held at 13 knots or better. But it is late December and every day on the water is a gift.

Pic below courtesy of the kiter.

IMG_0781 (2).JPG
 Description:
Big Waves, Little Wind
 Filesize:  182.97 KB
 Viewed:  11580 Time(s)

IMG_0781 (2).JPG

LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at Crissy ended up pretty good

https://vimeo.com/495370925

Screenshot_20201229-121053.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  850.41 KB
 Viewed:  11355 Time(s)

Screenshot_20201229-121053.png

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good foil day at Berkeley Monday.
Maybe 7-23, good for 5 meter sail and 600 wing for my 160 lbs.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Mr. Stick Feb 5 Reply with quote

February Stick! Very nice conditions starting at 3 pm, I rig a small 6.5 in a hurry but I get lucky with a nicely powered up hour and a half of windsurfing.

Robert is out with 5.0 and foil, but he is struggling and would be better with a 6.0. There are also two wingy things that also struggle when I am already well gone but eventually pick up and crawl upwind. And crawl they do, they really point upwind ... but they must be doing 12 knots of speed at most Embarassed

4:30 the wind drops and I go back, the wingies get stuck and "sail" back drifting on their knees ... it looks very penitential. I wonder what would happen if they were more downwind or if there were a bit of current. Actually no wonder, I see them drifting regularly without any directional control in sub-planing winds. Robert's windfoil comes back in normal displacement: can't beat a 135L windsurf board for safety!

As a recurrent personal consideration: I am getting very lazy at rigging my Switchblade 7.3, the only surviving cam sail in my quiver feels so much work... time to enter full retirement sailing and get an ACX 7.5?

Last edited by dvCali on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Mr. Stick Feb 6 Reply with quote

Hoping for a repeat we wait for the westerly that finally comes in at 4:00. Enough to go nicely powered up with the 7.3 switchblade for exactly ... four straights and jibes ... then it dies.

The shortest windsurfing session ever! Shocked
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Mr. Stick Feb 10 Reply with quote

Waiting for the season to kick in in March the Stick can be a reliable friend. Today it was pretty good. Very light but enough for Robert with Starboard foil + 7.0, for me with Flikka foil + 5.4, and sort of ok for a lonely wingy guy.

First time I am actually doing something other than panic on a foil! Did a number of good runs on both tacks, mostly leaving the sail alone and working to keep level with my hips. Not so exciting but it works. The sail, a new Point-7 Spy 5.4, is probably responsible for the progress. It has a steady, predictable pull that helps a lot to concentrate on the foil, as opposed to the disconcerting on/off nature of my previous 3 battens KS3. Can't wait to try the Spy in proper B&J conditions, it is going to rip at Crissy/Coyote and TI Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you figured out how to keep it somewhat stable. Best in 15 mph wind, head upwind in stronger, pump and bear off slightly in weaker wind.
Good for 1.5 meter sail sizing.
I still use my 600 sq cm foil in anything over 5-13 mph breezes.
My Larkspur bud uses 450 sq cm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 303 of 329

Jump to: