myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incompetent Kiter-1; Anita Rock Wind Sensor-0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Incompetent Kiter-1; Anita Rock Wind Sensor-0 Reply with quote

Sensor down at Crissy due to collision of kite and sensor around 5pm today. Said kiter was later picked up near Alcatraz by the Coast Guard. Despite this unfortunate turn of events, very nice windy evening out on the Bay. Good times.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect any of us causing damage to pay for said carnage. As in previous post about Isabella, where the kite hit a motorhome, they should pay for any damage. We've had a couple of incidents down south where even the U.S. Navy showed up along with LG's, Urban Search and Rescue, and Police.

I think there should be a token "rescue fee" for anyone rescued by a government agency. Even if it's only $100. I for one have never been rescued, but I'm sure we'd all be happy to pay for a safe trip back to land.
gpadmos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the type of incident that validates the uneasy feeling I get when a kite passes anything less than 50 yds. upwind of me.

As for a token rescue fee, as much as I love the concept of personal responsibility, pragmatically, it would deter cheapskates like me from throwing in the towel when we should, often leading to a more dangerous and costly rescue as conditions worsened.
hardy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: the wind's fault Reply with quote

Fees and fines are problematic. Let me illustrate.

Just recently, a kiter dropped his lines on me as he was coming into the beach, and the kite landed on a family's beach towel sending the family scattering.

The kiter said sorry, but "it was the wind's fault."

So if we there were to be a fee, does "the wind" have a mailing address to send the fines to.

Last edited by hardy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought I accidentally clicked on Berkeley. Laughing

crissy.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.74 KB
 Viewed:  24308 Time(s)

crissy.gif

abisailf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: incompetent kiter Reply with quote

I never dive into these forum discussions but this incident has sent me over the edge. Are you telling me that AFTER knocking out our precious sensor this guy went out into the Bay?? AND then required a rescue after that? Who is this guy because he should be banned from ever launching at Crissy again!

I am so tired of the general lack of sailing knowledge and skills exercised by this community of kiteboarders. The local crew rocks and have earned their stripes but this new crop of noobs out there scares me. None of them ever look before they jibe and none of them seem to know the right-of-way rules. Yesterday - oh for the umpteenth time - I had the Starboard right-of-way tack and some kiter on port tack chooses to hold his upwind line rather than yield to me. Needless to say it triggered my breaking point and I gave him a you-know-what shout out as I passed him by. Anyway, enough is enough.

I think we need to be very proactive here and create some Rules of the road. I recently saw the Rules for Kiteboard Beach in Maui which the Naish gang reviews with all of their visitors before heading out to the waters. It's time we stepped up and did the same before something really terrible happens and we get banned from the beach.
pshaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: The kiter should have to pay for the sensor repair! Reply with quote

Since when does someone get to damage private property and walk away with no responsibility? It doesn't matter if the damage was an accident. Kiting is inherently a risky sport. If you kite, you have to be prepared to pay for the damage you may cause. If this kiter was later picked up by the Coast Guard, as you say, then there is a record of the kiter's name. I urge iWindsurf to bill the kiter for the repair and go to court, if necessary, to collect.

If kiters are made to pay for the damage they cause, maybe they will be more careful. Crissy is fast becoming a major hazard zone because of too many thoughtless, hot shot kiters, spoiling the location for everyone, including the many responsible kiters who have been sailing there for many years. I, for one, have pretty much had it with the hot shots. They should not be launching/landing in the east end of the beach and should not be launching/landing over the civilians whereever they are located.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, they prefer, as a group, to remain clueless. It took the iK forum moderators no time to delete the objective, heads-up, appeal-to-sanity post about Benito's deliberately ramming a WSer head-on in the Gorge last month. They just don't want to acknowledge any problems associated with kites or kiters even when criminal behavior occurs.
abisailf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Incompetent Kiter Reply with quote

hey all, here's a copy (sorry for the poor visual quality) of the Kite Beach Rules issued by the Naish team. Seems like it's high time we as a community come together and agree to issue some of our own rules.

I agree with PShaw's comment about enforcing the kite launch at the Western part of Crissy beach---this was the original designated area for launches. The encroachment upon the broader beach area, where lots of general public visit, is a nightmare just waiting to happen. I've had kites dropped on me at the beach, on the shore and on the water---and each incident scared the heck out me. No one should have to protect themselves against having those dangerous lines wrapped around body parts---especially when they're not your lines!

kite beach rules.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.89 KB
 Viewed:  24200 Time(s)

kite beach rules.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Getting this sensor fixed will take time. It is a Schedule 40 1.5 " stainless steel mast so it will take time to buy and ship a new mast and cellular electronics, solar panel etc. We also need CG permission to board the Nav. Aid. Then to fly a repair crew in, rent a truck, charter a boat and then hope for a calm day.

The very first step is to assess how extensive the damage is to the unit.

So we could save some time is one of you could use a telephoto lens and photo the entire sensor so we can see what is missing/damaged.

Send the photo to mike@iwindsurf.com

Thanks,

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

Anita Rock.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.88 KB
 Viewed:  24183 Time(s)

Anita Rock.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: