myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CT windsurfing anymore?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninigret is open, no damage from sandy, just moved lots of sand around.
I sailed there last Dec.
johngullotti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still a bunch of us who sail regularly out of Barn Island in Stonington when the conditions are favorable. We get a kiter or two from time to time, but mostly it's windsurfing, either at the boat ramp or at Stonington Point. it's still free and generally there's plenty of parking.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windrockwater wrote:
Hey all,

There is a nice launch spot near a yacht club in Wesport (in Saugatuck Shores?) but i imagine parking is risky and you could sail back to find a ticket or a tow.

You are probably talking about the beach across from the Cedar Point Yacht Club on Bluff Point in Westport.

Nice people at CPYC - I race Lasers there.

I think they actually own the beach, so it is private property. Off season weekdays, there are not many people around, but weekends in season, I think you might have a problem.

However, I have seen non-members windsurf and kite from that beach.
feuser

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just looking for company, just sail across the sound to LI!

On WNW days (especially in the cold season), there are always sailors launching from Bayville, Center Island Beach just across from Stamford.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
nordicsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I just moved to CT (from Scandinavia:-) and it's great to see that I'm not the only windsurfer around here. Have only tried Calf Pasture Beach so far (how do you get a non-resident pass there btw?) so thanks for all the useful tips.
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but where is the best place to buy (or swap) used gear? And does anyone know if any of the yacht clubs offer self-storage?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome nordicsurfer!

There are very few shops left here in New England. Only one I know of in the local area that does swaps is on Long Island. They just had a swap meet about a month ago. They will probably do another in the spring.

www.hamptonwatersports.com

Hope you got out on Saturday, we had some pretty serious wind here in Madison averaging 30 at times.

If you don't mind the drive, Hammonassett State Park in Madisom is a great spot for almost any wind direction except southwest, where the wind is dead onshore and shorebreak can be pretty bad. There are about 6 or so windsurfers and a few kiters that can be found there on good days.
nordicsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinky,
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you need a beach sticker for Hammonasset?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordicsurfer wrote:
Slinky,
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you need a beach sticker for Hammonasset?

No fee before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
wseibert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ridgefield, CT and Calf Pasture beach in Norwalk is my home spot. Just had a fantastic session on Saturday on a SW with five other windsurfers. Very powered 5.7 for like three hours.

During the summer (and more and more into the spring and fall - grr...) you need a pass or pay a hefty daily fee (From the city's website - Day Parking Passes: The nonresident parking fee is $20/car on weekdays before 5 pm, $25/car on weekends before 5:00 pm, and $5 after 5:00 pm).

There is a sailing school/kayak rental/windsurfing club there. You can get a nonresident pass and club membership for $100. Check out http://norwalksailingschool.org/windsurfing.htm Getting the pass requires sending a check via snail mail, but it is a good deal if you use it more than five times.

In fall and spring, Long Beach in Stratford works on westerlies either full on sound or flat water with the kiters in the gut. Easterlies work at Short Beach, also in Stratford. Both launches become difficult to impossible at low tide, especially Short Beach. No fee in the off seasons.

Will Seibert
gavin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: entrance fees @ hammonasset Reply with quote

You can get a CT parks pass, good for a year for all of the CT DEEP parks for around $50/but they do not charge in the off season. About 6-7 windsurfers show up to sail in the spring and fall....
There are a number of other places to sail in this area as well.
grenz@renz.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: