myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A para-whadayacallit at Folsom Lake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey; have you ever been at or a part of something that was reported on the news, then watched the report and thought; was that even the same event? Amazingly sloppy inaccurate reporting is very often the standard.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, spot-on beallmd! back in my heyday as a yacht designer, I got interviewed a few times, and every single time, it got edited and re-arranged in such a way as to totally skew my meaning. Which is why for news, I just read the Reuters headlines - everything else is someone's biased opinion
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beallmd, you got it exactly right!
News get's filtered thru at least 4 different reports/editors/chiefs/interpreters, so when it finally goes on TV, it's the same as a an accident scene. As many views as there are different people who witnessed the event.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, they flat out make $#!+ up.

Actual event:
Smoldering fire in ordinary trash can in a laser lab in Los Angeles. Smoke reached a nearby Star Wars high energy laser mirror ... maybe. Trash can moved outside and quenched.

L.A. Times called the U.S.A.F. Weapons Laboratory in Albuquerque, the primary Star Wars research center, to ask a dozen detailed questions about it. I told them all we knew at that moment, which was the above plus, "We have a team of engineers in the air right now to evaluate the mirror. We'll let you [and the other national and international media who phoned me] know when we learn any more ... maybe today, surely this week. This is just one of many SDI labs and systems under development around the country ... a drop in the Star Wars bucket ... so, no, it is not a big SDI-level deal even if there is some smoke on this particular mirror."

It wasn't really newsworthy, so the few media that mentioned it at all (most global news agencies called me that day) described it accurately. The LAT front page, however, spewed the next day, "Star Wars on Indefinite Hold." [In case it's not clear, that is every bit the equivalent of printing "NFL season on Indefinite Hold" after some lineman got turf toe.]

I phoned that reporter immediately and informed him he would be the last to get any more news from the USAF Weapons Laboratory (several hundred scientists and engineers advancing the state of the art on scores of weapons concepts). I wish I had thought to inform the LAT editor.

The media are FOS. We HAVE to independently verify EVERY important story we base any significant actions on.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

most global news agencies called me that day

Jesus Christ...
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to my buddy that was at Folsom that day and got the more accurate story. It seems as though an inexperienced father/son duo launched off shore from the other side of the lake and the son got in trouble. Maybe lost his board. They finally got a couple of rescue boats out to get him when he was about 100 yards from shore on the opposite of the lake where they should have been to begin with. My buddy was on a 4.5 but a featherbutt but a good sailor so it was still blowing really good. Hopefully a lesson learned for dad and son! There were sailors and kiters checking on him so he wasn't alone.

folsom.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.27 KB
 Viewed:  8720 Time(s)

folsom.JPG

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

The media are FOS.

Man Isobars! You sure hum a different tune on the political forum!

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Rangers on the S shore, where the marina is located, are incredibly cool and knowledgeable, compared to the old fashioned Rangers manning the W gate.
Ranger's on the W gate almost drew their pistols at me, on a 4.5 N wind day at FolsomLake. They were convinced it was actually DANGEROUS out there, in winds of 12-35mph from the North. They had their hands on the butts of their revolvers ( this was maybe late '80's, so they didn't have pistols). They'd unstrapped their safety straps on their holsters!
I drove over to the S launch, and two Ranger's came out and said.."well, you can go out here, but you're on your own...wind is 20-40.
I sailed an hour, didn't even fall in, sailed over to the West end beaches, didn't see anyone (was hoping the Ranger's would show up), packed up, inside of wetsuit dry.
4.4 Gaastra SlalomFoil, Haut 8'2" ChopHopper.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Man Isobars! You sure hum a different tune on the political forum!

Nope. I've said this many times there, and am very picky about which networks I get my heads-up from. You simply aren't reading closely enough, and/or actually believe I really said the crap the idiots there SAY I said. As verified by the SEARCH function, you can be dead certain that virtually every claim the guys and gal in my killfile make about what I've said, think, or believe is a distortion, is taken completely out of context, is a misleading snippet, or is an outright lie.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Nope. I've said this many times there, and am very picky about which networks I get my heads-up from. You simply aren't reading closely enough, and/or actually believe I really said the crap the idiots there SAY I said. As verified by the SEARCH function, you can be dead certain that virtually every claim the guys and gal in my killfile make about what I've said, think, or believe is a distortion, is taken completely out of context, is a misleading snippet, or is an outright lie.

The media are FOS.

I thought I was reading this closely. So "they/the media" aren't your "heads up" sources?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: